Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday Fun… make a great grad gift

It is graduation time and many young people will be leaving home and heading out in the world. No matter where they are going…. college…. work…. military … or ( like my grandson Jalen)

205682_10151264843094296_1070732141_n

away to be a missionary…. they are going to need a little sewing kit to take with them.

My friend Ruth gave me a little sewing kit book to take with me on trips. I think it is so cute that I’ve copied her idea to give to my grandkids as they leave home. I think you might like to make one too.

IMG_0781

The supplies you will need are a hot pad, a little sewing kit from the dollar store, narrow ribbon, 2 pieces of felt, a few buttons,  needles, safety pins and straight pins.

IMG_0770

Make sure that the hot pad is the kind that has it’s hanger loop on the side, not on a corner.

IMG_0769

You are going to cut the 2 felt pieces to be a little smaller than the hot pad and sew them together down the middle…. but…

IMG_0778

Before you do that you can embroider a title page if you want to. If you don’t have an embroidery machine you could paint a title , write a note card and glue it in or stitch it by hand.

IMG_0773IMG_0776

Also sew ribbons on two of the pages before you sew them to the hot pad.

IMG_0774

Put the little spools of thread from the sewing kit on the 2 ribbons. Secure the end of the ribbons with safety pins. On the opposite page pin in the needle threader and put in the needles.

IMG_0775

Put straight pins and safety pins in the middle 2 felt pages.

IMG_0777

On the last 2 felt pages put a little baggie of buttons and use the other ribbon you sewed on to tie on a pair of scissors.

IMG_0779

Sew a button on the outside of the hot pad on the side opposite the hanger loop.

IMG_0780

Fold the hot pad in half and secure by putting the hanging loop over the button….. and…. WAL..LA…   You have a little sewing kit book which is perfect for tucking away in your suitcase…  or that of your grad who is leaving home.

That is what I did for Friday Fun today…. What did you do?

Have a great weekend.  Hugs, Grammy Lura

 

9 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Congrats to him granny- and what a wonderful gift to make all the grands. sandie

Buttercup said...

This is adorable and the saying is the sweetest part. This year I only have one graduation, from Junior High School to high school. Party next month!

Sheryl said...

What a great idea! I have a few grads that could use this! You are always so creative, and give with love!

Dee @ A Deecoded Life said...

This is useful and cute too! Great gift idea.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

What a great idea! And, so true about needing one. I received a little sewing kit for my high school graduation and just pulled it out today to repair a torn skirt!

Kris said...

Lura, that is brilliant!! I will be borrowing this idea as well! Good luck to Jalen!!!
I hope to see you when things settle down.
XO Kris

The Barton's said...

Cute idea.

The Barton's said...

Cute idea.

LeAnn said...

That is such a cute idea; thanks for the tutorial. I am so hoping that my one grandson goes on his mission this summer. You have a very good looking grandson.
Blessings and hugs!