Sunday, July 1, 2012

Father’s Day Smiles are better late than never

A_staffy's_Sunday_Six

I was not up to posting my Father’s Day smiles last week but I will make up for it today. Thanks to those of you who encourage me to keep blogging. It is getting harder for me to do it but maybe someday my family will look back at these posts and be glad that I did them. I hope so.  At any rate, I appreciate those who encourage me to keep posting. I do have lots to smile about in my life. This is a good way to document it.

IMG_5284

Father’s Day started out for my John with a lovely breakfast on the patio. Our normal church time is 9:00 a.m. and we never have time for a big breakfast. However, we were attending Mindy and Ernie’s ward (congregation) which starts later so I had plenty of time to make Grampy a breakfast feast. I was happy to do it.

I know I’ve said this before, but I thought I had lost him during our car accident last year. He was unconscious for a long time.  I was soaked in his blood.   The emotions of thinking he was dead were far worse than my own injuries which were severe.  I am so thankful to have him still with me. I treasure each special occasion… each day with him…. more than I can say.

IMG_5289

We went to church with Mindy and Ernie and then went to their home for dinner. In our faith, one of the things that we do to try to keep the Sabbath holy is not going anywhere on Sunday that causes someone else to have to work. We never go out to eat on Sunday.

IMG_5285

It is a traditions that Mindy always makes a delicious Japanese dinner for Father’s Day.

IMG_5287IMG_5291

EJ, Claire (not pictured) and I  helped Mindy prepare some of the food but Mindy did most of the work.

IMG_5292

We started out with Miso soup, salad and soy beans. ( I forget their Japanese name.)

IMG_5294IMG_5295

Then came the sushi. Mindy took a special class to learn how to make sushi.

This is Grampy’s and Ernie’s favorite food!

IMG_5293

Next came the tempura…. batter fried shrimp and all sorts of veggies.  YUMMY!

IMG_5296

It was a meal fit for an Emperor. I am thankful that our dear Mindy makes such a special meal for her dad, her hubby and all of us. It involves a lot of work. She is sweet to do this every year. It is her gift of love to the men in her life.  I’m glad that I get in on it too.  Lucky me.

IMG_5299

After all that delicious dinner we were stuffed to the gills, but we had to make room for dessert.

IMG_5297IMG_5300

Once again, Ernie and Grampy got their favorite …. strawberry short cake.

IMG_5302IMG_5307

After eating, the dads opened their gifts .. Claire even wrote a song and sang it to Grampy with her beautiful voice. ( I recorded it on my iPad but I can’t get it into this blog.)

IMG_5298IMG_5324

The best gift of all is the love and gratitude we feel for each other.

All these things brought me smiles on Father’s day.

Even though I couldn’t be with them, I was also smiling that my son David and my sons-in-law in Utah, Patrick and Dathan, are such good husband and fathers  ….and …..sons to me.

I know that I am greatly blessed.

I am thankful and smiling.

I am also smiling that my friend Buttercup is recovering nicely from her surgery and the tumor was benign. That is an answer to many prayers in her behalf.  My dear friend Jan is also feeling a little better after a terrible week of suffering. I am thankful both of these friends are doing better.

I hope that you are smiling too.  Have a great week. Hugs, Grammy Lura

7 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

Love this post Lura! The pictures are absolutely nice! Have a lovely week!

Kris said...

Hi Lura. What nice family times! How impressive to make such lovely sushi!!! Wow!
I hope you are doing well.
XO Kris

Sybil said...

I am alwasy smiling when I read your news.....well almost was not last year....what a year you have all had, but it is onwards and upwards and with your wonderful family what a lot you have to look forward to. and so do I watching the family develope !!! Thank you for sharing them with me.
love Sybil xx

Buttercup said...

Thanks for your shout out! I feel like a celebrity and a very lucky one. Can never thank you enough for all the prayers. So enjoy your photos and loved "spending" Father's Day with all of you. Mindy is inspiring me. Her sushi looks delicious and it might be fun to try to learn to make it. So glad you had a wonderful family day!

LeAnn said...

I did miss you and was wondering how you were doing; now I know. I loved the smiles. It is so fun to see your Father's Day events. I just look at you both and what you went through and am so amazed at what beautiful people you are. You have such a wonderful family and I love see pictures of them.
Lura, always keep posting; your family will treasure your posts. Remember you can have them made into a book each year.
Love and hugs to you!

hoLLy said...

lura! so i actually blogged today..crazy, huh? i hadn't in two months, TWO MONTHS! i've been blogging for six years now and never have i slacked like this. never has life been this nuts! :) so i'm sorry i haven't been around, i just haven't been around blogs period, nothing personal of course. i've been facebooking from my phone here and there but thats all i've had a moment for. aye. anyways, i hope once we settle in...oh wait, well, then we'll have a baby...well, hopefully one of these days i will be back to blogging and reading blogs like i used to! you know how it is with little ones. and moving. twice. and being pregnant. and injuries. and sickies. etc. life as a mama can be fun! i've missed you! hope you are having a wonderful week! xoxo love always~hoLLy p.s. LOVED the fathers days pics! he is a lucky guy!

bettyj said...

What a beautiful meal! Your, Mindy, is a beautiful lad. I bet she is as pretty inside as out. I love reading about your wonderful family. 11 of us just returned from a week at Disney!
Have a wonderful day tomorrow.