Sunday, July 22, 2012

Patio Makeover Smiles

A_staffy's_Sunday_Six

Summer brings so many things to smile about. As you know I love being out in the Patios and around the pool. It is fun to have friends over to b-b-q and swim.

IMG_5034

Our trees and plants have matured making the patio areas look green and refreshing.  However, we moved into our home 32 years ago.  John built the patio and all the walls not long after we moved in. Needless to say things are getting yucky  a bit worse for the wear.

IMG_5358

For example our old natural gas b-b-q broke. Though the years John has replaced many of it’s parts….. but at last it died to cook no more…. and because it is so old, we could not buy the parts to fix it.

When John build this patio kitchen years ago, we just went out to Bar-B-Q’s Galore and picked out a b-b-q. He built the cabinet around that b-b-q. 

Well  guess what????? They don’t make that size b-b-q anymore….. nope…. it is no where to be found unless you want to pay $1,500 for it. 

  Yes you read that right….$1,500!!!!  We looked everywhere to no avail.  We couldn’t remodel the cabinet and make it bigger because they don’t make tile to match it anymore.   I was so sad. I love to b-b-q. We could buy another b-b-q but it would not be natural gas and I thought it would look stupid dumb to have sitting out by our old broken b-b-q. We couldn’t remove the old b-b-q and leave a hole in the cabinet.  That did not make me smile.

This is where the smiles come in….

IMG_8239IMG_8242

Our friend Don was throwing away his old b-b-q.  My hubby took apart Don’s b-b-q.

IMG_8240IMG_8241

He welded together the part we needed and drilled new holes to match our gas jets.  John cleverly made Don’s square parts fit into our round holes.

Poster2

It may not be the prettiest b-b-q around but it is working just great.

Yeah for Grampy John.  He saved the day!!!  Smile…. Smile

 

With the b-b-q fixed and ready to go I started looking around at the rest of the patio.

IMG_5325IMG_5327

Sadly I realized that most of our old white furniture was looking pretty bad.  The tables were rusted. The chairs were stained.  I did not want to get new chairs with pads because I’ve been there and done that before. With our warm, sunny weather, the pads wear out quickly and look crappy  awful. They are very expensive to replace….I didn’t want to do that anymore… but I couldn’t find any white chairs to match the ones we had… so….

IMG_5351

 

IMG_5326

…We bought the brown chairs and then I painted our old white tables brown to match. I think they turned out good…. smile… smile

IMG_5355IMG_5356

We also got this little bistro set and a couple of lounge chairs. I love them. I’m Smiling

IMG_5275IMG_5352

I painted the edge of our old white eating table brown to match the new brown chairs (not pictured) that go around it…. smile… I may get the energy to buy more paint and paint the rest of the table brown…. but for now the brown edge at least ties in with the new chairs.

IMG_5328IMG_5357

We also bought a new patio table.  John had quite a job putting it  and the six chairs all together. Having the new table and a handy hubby makes me smile.

IMG_5334

Of course the thing that makes me smile the most is having family and friends come over to enjoy them with us.

IMG_5362IMG_5363

So blog friends…. come on over.  The Staffy Spa is refreshed and ready for you. We will fire up the old barbie….throw on some burgers….. and make you fresh lemonade from our orchard.  We’ll have a great visit and….

IMG_5390

We can take a dip in the pool to cool off.   I would love to see you.

That would bring me the biggest smile of all.

Have a great week.

Hugs to all, Grammy L

 

7 comments:

Kris said...

Hi Lura,
Wow, you did a fabulous job refreshing the white furniture to match your new brown furniture! A little paint sure does spruce things up, doesn't it!!
We have two of the zero gravity loungers and we love them!! So comfy!
Your pool looks so inviting! I would love to come dangle my feet in the pool with you and sip lemonade!!!
XO Kris

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, I am love, LOVING your patio makeover. You are so lucky that you have such a talented husband as you do. My Todd is not so handy in that way. He is good in lots of other ways, but he doesn't have a handyman bone in his body! Pictures he hangs ALWAYS fall off the wall! I kid you not! I would love to come over and dangle my toes into your pool. The best part would be you sitting and dangling your toes in the water next to me! Ahh, dreams are lovely things! Love you loads! xxoo

StitchinByTheLake said...

I think it looks gorgeous Lura and I so wish I could be there! blessings, marlene

LeAnn said...

I would love to see you too. I love the pictures of your swimming pool and backyard. When we lived in Las Vegas we had a pool and really enjoyed it. You do have a very handy husband; but you did some great handiwork yourselve. The patio looks awesome.
Have a marvelous July 24th celebration. We have our one daughter and her family here with us so it should be fun. My husband even has a day off. I will work on pictures from our Family reunion and prayers were answered on this one.
Blessing and hugs to you!

bettyj said...

What is one more trip on my agenda this summer! I love sunning, pooling, and most of all eating! Isn't wonderful to have a husband who do so many things. Mine was the same way. Have fun with all of your new/refurbished goodies.

Sybil said...

Oh how i would just love love to be able to just pop on a plane and arrive for a visit...the BBQ etc would be a bonus...what a WONDERFUL man John is to be able to do so many clever things certainly brings a smile to me
XX

hoLLy said...

bee-ute-i-ful!!! great job!!! your backyard is a little piece of heaven!

i've missed you! so as you saw on fb, wesley joined our family on monday. it was teh easiest labor i've had, thankfully. after such a crazy kinda awful summer, that was a huge blessing. hes here. we're in our new home. life can go on again:) phew, we made it! my fam was here visiting this week and now we have joey's parents here. so nice to have the help and visitors! i'm able to rest and sit down and actually blog and catch up on my dear friends blogs too. yea! hope you are having a wonderful weekend. xoxo