Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Remembering our Military Heroes with a visit to Pearl Harbor in Oahu, Hawaii

I hope that all my American friends had a nice Memorial Day Holiday yesterday as we honored our Military men and women. We did… I have not uploaded my pictures yet so I will have to wait to tell you about it.

002

However, it is fitting at this time of remembering our fallen military heroes  to continue our Hawaii Cruise adventure with you today by taking you to our 3rd Island stop witch was Oahu.

IMG_4601IMG_4602

This was the view from our balcony room when we woke up in Oahu. Quite unlike the other Islands, we were in the middle of a metropolis. I could hear the music from Hawaii Five O playing in my head and almost picture Dano speeding through the streets to catch bad guys. I was excited to be there.

IMG_4607IMG_4605

I had rented 2 vans for us to use before we left home. 13 of our group spent the day touring the island. John and our friend Frank made great drivers.

IMG_4603IMG_4606

Our first stop was at the Punch Bowl which is the National cemetery. Thousands were buried there after Pearl Harbor. We were a bit disappointed that they have removed all of the white crosses.  However, it is still a sacred place and offers a great view of the city.

IMG_0055

Our next stop was Pearl Harbor

IMG_4611IMG_4613IMG_4616IMG_4617

We spent 2 hours there and could have stayed a lot longer there was so much to see and do.

IMG_4619IMG_4620

It was an honor meeting some of the Pearl Harbor survivors and listening to their stories.

IMG_4622IMG_4624

We spent time going through the museums and…

IMG_4647IMG_4651

then we took the water shuttle

IMG_4625IMG_4631

out to the resting place of the USS Arizona.

IMG_4649

We were asked not to talk when we got to the memorial because of it’s sacred nature. It is the watery tomb of  over 1,000 of the sailors who died there on Dec. 7, 1941.

IMG_4627IMG_4630IMG_4638IMG_4635

We entered in silence. Our hearts were touched as we peered down into the watery grave….

IMG_4633IMG_4634

and paid our respects to those who died there and brought us into WWII.

IMG_0073IMG_4660

After our solemn morning spent at Pearl Harbor and the Punch Bowl we went on to tour the rest of the island.

IMG_4666IMG_4663

Our next stop was at the Iolani Palace which is the only Palace located with in the United States. We watched a movie in the visitor center and learned more about the interesting Hawaiian history.

IMG_0074IMG_0075

The park by the palace had amazing banyan trees and Hibiscus which is the state flower.

IMG_4680IMG_4683

We then drove around the island to the North Shore.  We had to drive by BYU Hawaii and the Polynesian Cultural Center on our way to the…

IMG_0042IMG_0043

LDS “Mormon” Temple.  Click here if you would like to learn more about our beliefs.

IMG_4694IMG_4696

The grounds are beautiful.  There is a special peaceful spirit there.

IMG_0092IMG_4685

IMG_4700

Our whole group also enjoyed spending time in the visitor’s center on the temple grounds….

IMG_0081

…reminding us that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is available to benefit all the world.

Our last stop on our busy tour of the island was…

IMG_4671IMG_4673IMG_4708IMG_4677IMG_4711IMG_4710

The beautiful beach

IMG_4723

We returned to our ship and sailed away at 11:00 p.m. We will always treasure our day on Oahu.

Thanks for joining me on our tour of this island.

Hugs, Grammy Lura

 

6 comments:

Kris said...

Hi Lura! Your pictures are beautiful! We have visited each island, except Oahu. We have hopes to go very soon. I would love to see The Arizona!!

Jan's Blog said...

What glorious experiences you have had. I love the pictures and hearing about what you did. I hope to go one day. Love you!!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

My Dad always wanted to go to Pearl Harbor Lura....we wanted to take him but he wouldn't go without mother and she wouldn't fly. :( Someday I'll go in his place. blessings, marlene

Marie Rayner said...

What a fabulous time you all had Lura! I would love to be able to go there one day. We postponed our cruise until next June now. I just thought it was too much for one year to do two big trips like that. OF course we had to pay an extra fee to do so, but you do what you have to do, right! I would love to see the Pearl Harbour memorial. It looks fabulously informative and so interesting. We must never forget the men who fought so that we could all be free. Love you! xxoo

LeAnn said...

Thanks for the tour of the Island. I can just imagine how sacred those areas are. I have heard that Oahu is one of the most beautiful Islands of all. I do hope that we can go there someday. The pictures were awesome and I enjoyed the tour.I especially enjoyed the ending pictures with the two of you on the beach. I hope all is going well with you dear friend.
Blessings, hugs and love to you!

Cathyjo said...

Thank You so much for sharing.ooxx