Sunday, February 26, 2012

Holiday and Missionary Make-up time….

happy February

February is such a special month. I’ve spent the last 11 days of it in bed sick but in spite of that I was able to get a lot of smiles out of this month of love. I wish that it was the longest month instead of the shortest…. but never mind…. I enjoy all there is about this Valentine month.

IMG_4095

One of my favorite parts of Valentine’s day is decorating for it.

IMG_4058

I especially enjoy setting pretty tables…

IMG_4056

…making special food and treats and

IMG_4059IMG_4049

and sharing them with friends and family.

IMG_4084IMG_4087

We had a lovely Valentine’s dinner with LouAnn and Darrell. LouAnn and I both wanted to have the missionaries over for dinner that night. We decided to go together but LouAnn ended up doing 99% of the work.

IMG_4099

She set a beautiful table , dinner was delicious… and…

IMG_4097IMG_4098

…feeding the missionaries is always a joy. They bring a special feeling into the home. These young men leave their home and families at age 19 and put their lives on hold for 2 years while they go out to serve the Lord. Our grandson, Justin, is in Guatemala at this time. (If you would like to learn more about our missionary program and our beliefs click on the “I am a child of God” sign on my side bar. For some reason I could not get the hyperlink to work in this text.)IMG_4096

When we were visiting with Elder Peterson and Elder Linzey I remembered that I had not followed through with a promise I made them to post their pictures from New Year’s dinner for their families at home to see.

So here they are….. better late than never I guess.  I will post these New Year’s pictures and then finish up with February fun in March I guess…. do you see a pattern here????

IMG_3729

New Year’s Day was on Sunday this year. It was a lovely day for us from morning ‘till eve.

That morning at Church our 12 year old E.J. gave his first talk in Sacrament meeting. He did a great job. He looked up several scriptures and tied them together in a well thought out and meaningful talk.  I think it is wonderful that our church gives young people the opportunity to speak to the congregation. In his first primary program when he was 3 he was too shy to say a word…. and here he was giving a whole talk with confidence. My heart swelled with joy.

IMG_3731

That evening we had dinner together with the missionaries.

IMG_3732

We all had a good time with Elder Peterson and Elder Linzey.

IMG_3734IMG_3733

We know that it is hard for them to be away from their families during the holidays. It was fun making a special dinner for them and sharing the evening with them.

IMG_3735

IMG_3737

 

E.J. provided us dinner music by playing his recital piece for the Elders.  Claire sang for us. The missionaries left us a spiritual thought from the scriptures.  It was a lovely evening… and the perfect way to start our new year.

IMG_3742

As we toasted the New Year with our eggnog…. our hearts were full of thankfulness for the many blessings we had received in 2011…. especially that we had survived our terrible car accident and we were still all together….

happy heart

and…  our hearts were full of hope for the promise of 2012.

I am sorry that I am slow and not getting my posts done in sync with the holidays.  As I said previously, I will still be posting about Feb. in March.  Thanks for your patience with me.

I finally went to the doctor Fri. after being flat down in bed for 9 days. I felt too rotten to go before that since I knew they can’t do anything for a virus anyway. However, my doctor decided to give me strong antibiotic which seems to be helping. I wasn’t able to go to the temple this week or to church today but my throat is less sore and I’m sure I’m getting better.

evelyn-claire-150x150

Congrats to Krystyn from Really are you Serious on the birth of her precious Evelyn Claire. We are so happy that all went well.

Hugs, Grammy L

 

15 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

You might be later than you wanted but as usual you have lots of fun pictures. :) blessings, marlene

LeAnn said...

I always enjoy your smiles no matter what month they are in. I loved the Valentine decorations. I too love to do a special table for Valentines.
It is always fun to have the missionaries to dinner. In Utah we don't get that opportunity very often. In Spokane we had them over frequently. Of course, the missionaries are so awesome and one favorite calling was to be the nurse for the Washington Spokane mission. I could have done that one forever. I have a ton of really funny stories.
I love the picture of your sweet grandson. I too think it is awesome that they can give talks to our congregations.
I personally think that your posts are such a delightful journal history. I need to get myself together on that one. As usual sending you lots of hugs and smiles too.

Buttercup said...

What wonderful times! Your Valentine table looks beautiful and it's clear a good time was had by all. I am glad you are feeling better. Please take good care of yourself! Hugs and more hugs across the miles.

bettyj said...

What beautiful pictures. Your table is stunning. You must be very proud of that young grandson. Better late than never. Hope you feel better real soon

hoLLy said...

11 days of being sick-yuck lura!! i'm so sorry, but i'm glad to hear you are on the mend. and i too am glad i'm not the only one a smidge behind in blogging:) nothing wrong with posting january in february! :) happy belated valentines, glad you were able to enjoy it! and what pretty decorations you have-love the table!

Kris said...

Oh Lura, you have been through too much. I am so sorry to hear you have been so sick! Is there anything I can do for you?
I always enjoy reading your posts, whether or not they coincide with our current holidays. Your pride in your family is so wonderful. And yours reminds me of mine, in so many ways.
Hugs,
Kris

Jan's Blog said...

I'm so excited and happy to see that you have posted, which means you are feeling better and that's the best news of all. I've been so worried about you. When you are not social I get very very worried. But here you are and I know you're not well yet, but I'm so happy to see you post. Love you...look forward to seeing you soon. Jan

Gloria Baker said...

Always enjoyed your pictures dear Lura and all you sharing with us send you huggs and love, gloria

Gloria Baker said...

oh Dear I forget that I wanna the first sorry you was sick , Im glad you feel better, more huggs and blessings!

Sybil said...

So gla dthat you have been to Dr. and that he has given you the antibiotics that hopefully will kill the germs....for good...What a great Valantine time you all had, and such a beautifully laid table and then having the good company to share it all with is the icing on the cake..
God Bless,
Much Love Sybil xx

Joy/The Olde Farmhouse said...

LURA DEAR: I don't care when you post...just make sure we see those Sunday Smiles. Thank you for stopping by and know I am so happy to hear from you each time. Your photos are amazing and I sure wish I knew how to arrange them as you do. Maybe you can show me when I visit in the summer??
I am glad you are getting better...it took me almost 6 weeks and 2 round of antibiotics!
{{HUGS}}
Joy

The Barton's said...

Wow...What a fun Holiday! I admire those of you who put so much fun into things. I feel way overwhelmed with life, and work, and being a Mother. Maybe I need to step back and do some fun things for my dinner table. Once again I see a pic of sweet LouAnn and Deryl. Ahhhh I miss the good ole days.

Cathyjo said...

As always Lovely post and pictures.
Always good to see your Forever Family and your joy.Love You Dear Friend.ooxx

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Lura, how could I have missed this post!! Somehow it slipped through the cracks and I only discovered it this morning! I have loved seeing all your Valentines pictures. I remember that it was near to Valentines Day that we were able to spend that time together when Eileen was in Idaho and I always remember that special time we had with a big smile in my heart. I love seeing you enjoy the missionaries. WE love to have them for dinner as well. They always bring such a special spirit with them. I love to feed them and try to make it a great occasion each time they come for dinner. I love you very much my friend. Do forgive me for not having seen this sooner. I hope you feel better soon. ((((hugs))) Keeping you in my deepest prayers and sending much love your way. xxoo

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Beautiful decorations.
Hope you feel better soon.