Monday, February 6, 2012

A lesson in courage and perseverance

IMG_3954

I knew that I couldn’t fool you. All of you who guessed where I was over the weekend were right.    We were in Las Vegas, Nevada.

IMG_3966

I wasn’t there to see Mitt at the Nevada Caucus. (But I wish I could have seen him. I surely hope he will be our next president.)

I wasn’t there to gamble. (I never gamble… my money is too important to me to donate it to casinos.)

I was there to see our 15 year old Johnny compete in the Black Jack National Gymnastics Championships

IMG_4044

Our darling grandson taught me a lesson in courage and perseverance.

This was the first competition we have been able to attend since our accident last March. I got home from the Utah hospital the day before  Nationals last May. I was not able to see Johnny make the USA National team for level 9.  I was very disappointed I missed that.

IMG_3965

This is the first year that Johnny is competing in the level 10 division. He is competing against older boys who have been in level 10 for a year or two. I was excited  to attend this meet but I was a bit nervous for Johnny.

IMG_0332

His first event was the pommel horse. He usually nails it as seen in this picture from last year’s competition…. but not this year.

He fell off….. doing a stunt he has done a 1000 times …. he got back up and then… he fell off againHe couldn’t believe it! My heart ached for him. What a discouraging way to start this competition!

I was afraid that this devastating failure on his first event would taint his performance in the other 5 events…. But I was wrong.

IMG_3962

He went on to compete his best in all 5 of the other events.

IMG_3969

His smile came back after doing a killer job on the vault…. We didn’t know it then but it turned out he got the highest score of the day on vault and won 1st place.

IMG_4000

He ended up placing in all 5 events after falling off the pommel horse. He got 1st on vault….1st on high bar…and 3rd on floor, parallel bars and rings. (Don’t those 2 gold and 3 bronze medals around his neck look great!  He worked hard to earn them.)

He missed getting 2nd on floor by only 1/10th of a point.

IMG_3996

He lost 2 points when he fell off of the pommel horse. That is a huge loss of points in a competition where the difference between 1st and 3rd place is often determined by fractions of a point…. But ….His high marks on the other events earned him 3rd place overall …and… helped his team come in 1st place overall.

IMG_4037

After the competition he learned that if he had not fallen off of the pommel horse he would have come in 1st place overall….

and…. if he had only fallen off 1 time he would have come in 2nd place overall.

He was disappointed that he blew it didn’t do well on the pommel horse… but…he and we were thrilled he did so well after that. I could not be prouder of him.  I think it is amazing that he could keep his head in the game and do so well after having a horrible devastating start.

I hope that I can follow his good example. When things go wrong for me…. when I get discouraged…. when I fall off of my “pommel horse” I hope that I will remember Johnny’s  courage, perseverance and determination.

I hope that I will remember  the lesson that my sweet grandson taught me this weekend….. to keep trying ….to do my best and not give up even when it looks like the odds are against me.

There is a lot of pressure being on the level 9 USA National Gymnastic team.  Now that he has been training at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado, the Olympic coaches know him and are watching him and so are all the other boys. He is expected to do well…. but now he is completing against older boys and harder competition.

His goal is to make the level 10 USA National team this year. The odds are against him since this is his first year to compete at level 10. Before this competition I didn’t think he had much of a chance of making it…… but after watching him Saturday I say……

Go Johnny go! 

Keep working hard and believing you can do it.

I’m beginning to think your dream of being on the Brazilian Olympic Gymnastics' Team is not out of reach.

Go for it Johnny….

With your talent, hard work, courage and determination the sky is the limit.

Are there “pommel horse” disappointments in your life? I think we all have them from time to time.  The next time you feel like giving up I hope that you will think of Johnny’s story and keep trying to do your best. .. who knows… you could end up on the winner’s platform too. I am hoping that I will remember his good example.

Thank you Johnny.

Hugs, Grammy

 

 

12 comments:

Jan's Blog said...

What a GREAT story. Johnny truly is an inspiration and I too can learn from his shining example. I'm so glad you were able to attend and see this unfold firsthand.

Marie Rayner said...

I am so happy that you were able to watch Johnny compete this year. yayy!!! I cannot believe he is 15 already!! Amazing. All your grandchildren are such special children and so very talented. But no wonder . . . look at their talented parents . . . and their talented grandparents! I am so in awe of you Lura. You are everything Gospelwise that I strive to be. I am so grateful for your example and your testimony in all things. I try to do my best but I fall short in so very many ways. I am so very grateful for our friendship and for the special kinship we feel with each other. That has been a great blessing to me in my life. It was so good to talk to you last week. I treasure those moments. Love and hugs to you and John today and always. xxoo

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Congratulations to Johnny for his medals but mostly for getting back up. What an inspiring young man. I can only imagine how your heart swelled to be able to see him compete. I wish him much succes as he aims for the next level!!

I have been to Las Vegas once - our son was married in the desert in the outdoor chapel in the Valley of Fire State park. When he told us that is where they wanted their ceremony, all I could think of was the cheap side of Vegas. But that setting in the desert was truly amazing with God's glory all around us with the red rocks and the glorius sunset as the back drop. We got to enjoy some of the fun of Las vegas too. We don't gamble either but every hotel has free or very low cost entertainment - zoo's, aquariums and so much more. It ended up being a wonderful family vacation and then we came home and had our tradtional reception as well. I can't say I want to go back but I am glad I went once!!

Have a wonderful week my friend ~ full of smiles!! Hugs!!

Kris said...

Wow!!! Way to go Johnny!!! What a thrill to be able to watch him, and encourage him along the way to his athletic excellence!!! Such a great story Lura!!!!
Hugs,
Kris

Gloria Baker said...

Nice history dear! and he look amazing!
Congrats to Johnny!! well done!

LeAnn said...

You do have an awesome grandson and very talented. I think he has learned some powerful lessons from you. Lura you are such an example of bravery, love, service, and just very Christ like. I could feel your strong spirit when we were together. You are such a blessings to your loved ones, friends and sisters in the gospel.
You can not help but be so pleased with your Grandsons efforts; it was an awesome story. Thanks for being a blessing in my life.

StitchinByTheLake said...

A good lesson for us all Lura! blessings, marlene

Joy/The Olde Farmhouse said...

Wow! I also say: "Go Johnny Go!" What a wonderful story and after being a dance competitor for several years it is so easy to understand how hard it is to keep going after a mistake. But he DID IT and you were there to see it and that is so awesome, Lura! Your story brought a lump to my throat as I read, worrying about how the other events would go but he really did good and you were there and so PROUD Congratulations to Johnny and you! {{HUGS}}
Joy

hoLLy said...

wow! to have such a rough start and to finish so strong says so much about his character. what a rockstar! :) i just know he'll be on the olympic team someday-how exciting! and i'm so glad you were finally able to go watch him compete-yea for better health!! love ya!!

Silvija said...

Well, he might look like his mother and father, but he takes after his Grammy, that's for sure! Thank you, Lura, for setting that amazing example of hard work and determination all of your life to me and everyone who knows you and has benefitted from it. I love you! YAY JOHNNY!

bettyj said...

You must be so proud! It is amazing what we learn about life from our grandchildren.To be in competition he has to be so disciplined.
Good luck Johnny.

Sybil said...

I to am real proud of Johnny...what a great lad to keep going after that devastating fall..as you say a real lesson for us all...Your granchildren are all so talented in their own ways, No wonder you are proud grandparents..
Please do give him my congrads..I know he dosn't actually know me..but I feel I know him so well following his every comp.
much love always
sybil x