Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sept Sunday Smiles

Here it is Sunday again and time to share with you some of the things that have
brought me smiles this past week.
There are always so many that it is hard to choose.
Life is full of so many good things and good people that I am thankful for.
...
Having you for blog friends is certainly one of the things that brings smiles to my heart.
Unlike many of you, I don't have a lot of readers that leave me comments...
...but the ones that I have are very dear to me.

I am touched that you take the time to read about my simple life ...
...and give me encouragement and positive feedback.
Thank you so much. It means a lot to me.
...
I told you all about our Grandson , Justin's missionary farewell in a recent post.

I am happy to report that he is doing well in the Missionary Training Center
Missionaries can only call home twice a year...on Mother's day and Christmas...
but they are encouraged to write home every week. When our son was in
Argentina on his missions it took 6 weeks to send a letter and get a reply.

Now we can email Justin and he gets it that same day. He can email family
back once a week. What a blessing.
That makes me smile.
....
This past week, Mindy's kids got to have a sleepover and spend the day

Monday since it was Labor day holiday.

Claire has become a good little cook and
started out our day with pancakes.
(Marie gave me that cute recipe holder for my birthday.
Thanks Marie.)

Of course our favorite place to eat breakfast is on the patio.
A beautiful day and happy kids.
Now wouldn't that make you smile?
...
E.J. got his new trumpet.

He is in 5th grade now.
School band starts next week.
He was so excited to get his first trumpet that he brought it over
to our house to show us.

He practiced playing it much of the day which made Grampy and me really smile.
He wants to be a good trumpet player like his dad who was in
Santa Clara Vanguard Drum and Bugle corp.
Ernie is now a high school band leader.

This coming year, Ernie's band will play in the Rose parade.
E.J.'s playing may make us smile today....but one day I am sure that he will
be a fine musician like his dad and mom are.
...
Grampy and his garden make me smile.

We are getting so many good things to eat out of our garden.
That prompted Claire to make us a cake to go with our fruit.

Claire did a post on her blog telling about baking this cake
in an unusual way.

Thanks to those of you who left her a comment.
She loves getting comments. (Like her Grammy )

If you haven't already done so,
click HERE and go over to her blog and see how she cooked it.

It made me smile.
...
Redbox makes me smile.

What fun to be able to rent a movie for $1.00.
I love it!
This week we watched "Tooth Fairy" with the grandkiddos.
What fun.

Playing with the wii and
Playing in the pool also made me smile but
I can't tell you about that because I am already over my
Sunday Six limit.
So I will stop for now....and...
start working on my smile list for next week.
I hope that you also are finding lots to smile about.

Have a great week.

6 comments:

hoLLy said...

john got a great crop of strawberries-we're jealous! ours was pathetic this year:) just a few and they were teeny. oh well, maybe next year will be better...:)

and we love redbox too, you can't beat a dollar!

Erin said...

EJ got a trumpet? How exciting! I can't wait to hear all about it... starting down the path of his dad's footsteps. Awesome! Love you mom!

Marie Rayner said...

Love your Sunday Smiles Lura!! I will be sure to pop on over to Claire's page after to read about the cake! You are such a dear friend Lura and I am so blessed to be able to call you that! But you are much more than that to me you know! How nice to see the recipe book holder in use! And to see little Claire following in her grammy's footsteps and EJ in his dads! One day I hope to come and play in your pool too! What a nice dream to hold on to! Sending lots of love and hugs to you on this early September morning! You are very special to me and I hope you know that! xxoo

Angie said...

What a clever and gifted family you have. An ad over here says "There's just one thing that kids only EVER do once and that's grow up".....enjoy them!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Lura this week when I went to WalMart there were 4 young men, missionaries, buying a few necessities. I thought of your grandson. :) They looked so good dressed in their dark pants and white shirts and all had name badges on, though I wasn't close enough to see their names. They made me smile! Two of my grandchildren also got new band instruments last week; one a clarinet and one a drum. Aren't they just precious when they are so excited by these new things! blessings, marlene

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Your smiles are making me smile!