Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sunday Smiles for April 18th

We have been back home in CA for a week now.
I still have enough smiles saved up from our visit with precious family
that I could go on for weeks.... and I probably will.
...
I also got to meet a sweet blog friend last week
and played with my friends
...
I really do have lots of smiles to share
so I had better get busy.
The grandkiddos were excited to see that their favorite little ice cream shop
had opened for the season.
They could hardly wait for us to take them for ice cream.
It was lots of fun until we started to leave.
We got hit in the parking lot.
That did not make us smile ...
...but the way everyone handled it did.
The lady that hit us, Marla and Dave, the insurance company...
everyone was nice and had a good attitude.
Hopefully Marla's car is back good as new now.
...
Taking the kids to the zoo and botanical gardens made us smile.
I think that they were the prettiest flowers in the garden...
...don't you???

I was sad to leave(Note the Kleenex and the red eyes and nose)
but we were smiling and grateful for the wonderful visit we had.

We waved goodbye to these sweet ones....

...and 81/2 hours later there we were looking down on our
own So. Cal freeway not far from our house.
Isn't it amazing that we can go across the country in a few hours.
What would our pioneer ancestors think about that?
...
Two days after we got home we had to go to San Diego for another ship inspection.
While we were there we got to meet some special blog friends.
Can you guess who this is?

This is darling Sarah from TuTu Monkey
Isn't she just the cutest little gal!
And she has a personality to match!
Her mom, Dana, is just as darling as she is.
In spite of her husband being deployed
Dana is cheerful and has a positive attitude.
I really admire her.
We had a delightful time with them.

We had a royal tea party...
and homemade cookies...
and salsa and chips...
I can't wait to visit Dana and Sarah again.
They made us smile all day long.
Speaking of smiles makes me think of the fun time I had
playing with my dear friends Kris and Jan.
Jan was flying home and I got to see her 1 more time.
...
They came over to visit me the day after we got home.
I was tired from the long trip the day before...
I was kind of down and missing David's kids.
...
I might have wasted half the day staying in bed
if they had not been coming over..
...but with them coming I got up...
got dressed...
put on make up...
unpacked...
cleaned up the patio...
made dessert...
AND HAD A FABULOUS VISIT WITH THEM.
Kris brought me these lovely flowers from her garden.
Kris is our Stake Relief Society President.
She is a very busy lady... but she takes time to be my friend.
Isn't it wonderful to have friends like Kris and Jan to lift you up when you need it!!!!
They make me smile.
...
Well that is my smiles for this week.
I am also smiling because Marie is almost settled in her new home..
...and she is back on line.
Welcome back Marie...
We all missed you.
...
Next time I will tell you what has put big smiles on Grampy's face.
Until then I hope that you have a great week.
Please take a minute to tell me about your smiles.
Hugs, Lura

14 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Ohhhhh ... homegrown artichokes would put a big smile on my face too Grampy!!! Love them! Loved all your smiles Lura. Despite the little setback of the prang in the car, you have been having a lovely time with your family, with your friends and meeting a new blogging friend! I am so jealous. I would love to be meeting you today for a tea party too! Oh how I miss you. Why we can't just live next door to each other I just don't understand! Perhaps in the eternities we can request adjoining mansions??? I am all for that!! Love you loads and loads and even more loads! I sure missed you when I was under enforced computer disconnection! xxoo

Angie said...

What a lovely bit of God's world you live in! And what lovely friends and family. Being on our tiny island it's hard to imagine exactly the distances you speak of! The climate changes you can pass through east-west, north-south. Here it's either raining or it's not!

One of the things that makes me smile this time of year is birdsong. I was sitting outside (miracle) yesterday and a bird was trilling away. I don't know what it was - I couldn't even see it anywhere - but it was such a promising sound. You can't help but smile.

Another smile maker for me is the fact that, although it's only 5*C, spring will carry on springing no matter what.

love, Angie, xx

hoLLy said...

joey LOVES artichokes(and has converted me too:)

so happy you got to spend time with so many people you love, sad you had to say goodbye to those darling grandkids:( someday we'll live right next to all of our family and we won't have to say goodbyes, right? :) lets see, things that made me smile this week....aubrey's speech, ella getting to be "star of the week" at school, watching cali try to hul hoop( that is a riot!) and joey taking good care of me while i was sick this weekend. oh, and the baby boy kicking:) lots of smiles! thansk for sharing yours!

Jan's Blog said...

Lura, our times together are always among my favorite times in California. I am so blessed to call you my friend. I am so blessed that you call me your friend. And it all started over dry clean only towels!!! Like you, I go the extra mile to be with you. I wasn't feeling well the day we came to visit. But once we set a time I got up and got dressed and did my face and the whole thing. Our times are special times.

Marie...I'm never with Lura when I don't think of you. In a way, I feel guilty. I'm confident that one day Kris and I and Lura and YOU will sit down to tea!!!

XOXOXOXOX

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Lura --
You have been busy! What fun trips and cute pictures! I am glad you are having a wonderful time! I'm so sorry about your car but hopefully it can get fixed right up.

Have a super week!

XOXO
Jen

TUTU Monkey said...

We had so much fun meeting and spending time with you (and Grampy) last week. You are such a special couple......:)

We hope to pay you a visit soon. We are still enjoying our fruit!! Thanks again!!

HUGS!!!!

nicole said...

reading this makes me smile! Your grandchildren are SO adorable, I don't know how you stand being away from them! I'm pretty sure at least one of them would fit in your carry-on! :) Thanks again for getting my week off to a big round of smiles.

And next time I am in So Cal, I will take you up on that B&B offer :) I would love nothing more! Hope you have a great week!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That artichoke is huge! That would excite me also.

Yay for ice cream with the grandparents, but boo for the car getting hit. Glad it was handled so well.

And, how fun to meet up with new bloggy friends.

Gloria Baker said...

You make me smile dear Lura!! and the pictures are awesome, really and I love the artichokes you show!
send you kisses and hugsss, and is nice tobe with you again!!! xoxoxo gloria

Gloria Baker said...

Marie's post make me smile today! really! huggs gloria

Erin said...

What a bummer for their car! Ouch! I glad everything worked out so nicely though.

Isn't Gracie a little cheeser? I love those pictures of her!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What a great picture of Sarah and Grampy at the Royal Tea Party. That's a keeper for sure!

Kris said...

It has been a long time since I have had time to sit down and bloghop. I have missed it mucho. You sure got a lot of info in one post!
Didn't we have fun at your little tea party? It was wonderful. Being your friend is a treat.
So, artichokes grow at your house too? My goodness, Farmer John is amazing. I had to buy artichokes at the farmer's market and you just send your honey out to the back with a knife to cut some dinner! Actually, I planted an artichoke plant this year. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Baak Talk said...

It must be so hard to live so far away from your children that you have grown so used to having around you your whole life! I've really been thinking about that lately as my kids are getting closer to that stage in life. I'm so gald that transportation is what it is so we can at least keep in some kind of touch!

How lovely you got to see David and his family! What a treasure!