Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Sick Sunday Smiles

Today I am posting my Sunday sick smiles instead of my regular Sunday Six Smiles.
...
I had lots to smile about last week but I am sick today and don't really feel like spending much time on the computer. I will share my last week's smiles with you another time.
However, I was writing a quick email to Marie telling her my tale of woe when I realized how funny it is.
...
So I decided to share my story with you.
Now that I think about it, it cracks me up.
I hope that it will bring a smile to your face as well.
...
We had a great day yesterday but we were gone all day attending a musical E.J. and Claire were in during the afternoon and their piano recital last night.
(I will post pictures and tell you all about it another day.)
...
Sometime during the day I started not feeling very well.
My nose stopped up.
My throat started scratching.
My head started aching.
By the time we were starting the 30 mile drive home last night I knew I was getting sick.
...
However, I also knew that it was my turn to have Sunday Dinner at our house this week.
Mindy and I trade back and forth each week.
One week we go to their house and the next week they come to ours.
...
I knew that I could call Mindy and tell her I was getting sick.
I thought of doing that...but....I knew Mindy was exhausted.
Ernie has been tied up with his high school band competitions and wasn't home.
Mindy has had to take kids back and forth to rehearsals all week.
She has not had a minute to spare for days....
She was on the run long before we were yesterday.
After the musical and the recital all three kids were totally worn out.
...
I couldn't call her and make her drag the 3 kids to the store late last night to get something to make for Sunday Dinner.
...
So I decided to trick the flu bug and make most of the dinner last night before I got sicker.
I put all the ingredients in my bread machine to have a hot loaf of bread made today.

I took a pot roast out of the freezer to thaw.

I cut up potatoes, carrots and onions and put them in my crock pot.
I added all the seasonings.
I made a salad.
I stored them all in my refrigerator.
I figured that I would ask John to put the roast in the crock pot this morning and plug it in.....
...and ...wha...la...
we would have dinner....
...well...
It is a good thing John overslept and was late getting into the shower this morning.
I was up sick several times during the night and feel yucky today
but since John was running late, I drug myself into the kitchen to put the roast in the crock pot and start dinner cooking.
I unwrapped the frozen roast I was thawing and got a big surprise!!!

Instead of thawing a roast....I had thawed soup bones.

Bones!!!!

With very little meat on them.

John and I love soup but Ernie doesn't.....

Besides, bones, potatoes, carrots and onions don't make much of a soup.

Can you imagine how shocked I would have been if I'd had John start the crock pot dinner thinking he was putting in a roast only to find at dinner time it was only bones???

I can just imagine the look on Ernie's face.... and mine.

Ha Ha.... the thought makes me smile...In fact it cracks me up.

...However....now I need to come up with dinner.

I am thawing some pork chops.

I'll use all the potatoes I peeled last night to make mashed potatoes.

Those will be good if I make gravy to go with them.

...But my plan of staying in bed all day sleeping or watching KBYU isn't going to work.

Do any of you want to come over and make the dinner for me?

Have a good week. Hugs, Lura

14 comments:

Angie said...

I'm laughing so much at yuour sorry tale that I would be no good for you just now in your sick state - or else I would be round there like a shot with dinner. You're such a brave soldier - I'm pretty sure I would have asked Mindy to make them some egg and chips or something. Better still some chicken soup and drop some in to your house! That's what you need when you're sick, chicken soup.

Poor Lura, get well quickly won't you?

love,Angie, xx

hoLLy said...

i would totally come over and cook you dinner if i lived closer! so sorry you aren't feeling good. being sick just plain stinks!

Tara D. said...

Yummmm, soup bones, lol. I'm sorry you're not feeling well. :( That's not fun at all! I hope you get to feeling better real soon, Lura.

Take care of yourself,
Tara

Erin said...

Oh mom, what a story! You are such a trooper... I would have pulled out cold cereal- maybe some oatmeal if I was feeling up to it :)

Do you buy bones often? I hope you get them for a good price!

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Love you!

Laura and Ryan said...

Oh my goodness that was funny! You poor thing...you need to rest! I love that you are always thinking of others even when you are sick! What a good example you are to me :)

Luigi said...

I'd have cooked the bones without knowing what to do!!! I'm glad moms/grannys/ wives master the art of cooking....and you surely have done so!!
I hope you feel better soon!!! I'm glad you can fins ways to smile even wen in pain!!!
I love you!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

That was too funny Lura - I would have been in a panic I think! Hope you feel better soon. blessings, marlene

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Lura . . . you do crack me up. That you can write something so funny when you are sick and that you can still think of others when you are not well is a testimony to the kind of person that you are. You are a dear, sweet, caring and loving mother, wife, friend, sister . . . and I do consider you my sister. I hope that you are feeling better soon. ((((hugs)))) You mean the world to me. I think Angie's idea was a good one. If this ever happens again, serve em Egg and Chips. They'll love it! We do! Love you loads sweet friend. Love you loads.xxoo

Anonymous said...

Lura, I almost laughed out loud when I read this story because one of my most vivid memories of you from years and years ago was when you had decided to host a big dinner for a group of friends because you had a big piece of some kind of meat in the freezer and you wanted to use it up. After all the invitations had been extended, you thawed the meat and found that it was all bones!! Are you kidding me?? What's with you and frozen bones??

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, so sorry you are sick, but that's pretty funny.

I've never tried with a roast, but very often, I've cooked frozen meat in the crock pot and it's worked.

Anonymous said...

If I lived closer, I would totally have made you dinner! We had 10 pounds of meatloaf tonight!! Also, will you be up our way two weeks before Christmas? My hubby sings in the Tab Choir and got a few (just a small few) tickets to their Christmas concert. You were one of the first people that came to my mind. If you're up here and would like two tickets, they are yours!

Anonymous said...

I sent you an email back! Look for the hokicj sender!

Grandma B said...

SOOOOO Happy your dinner turned out as planned.....oh sure....add insult to injury. Hope you are feeling better now. Pork chops sound good to me.....mashed potato's and gravy....yum !!!

Do you like my lttle bears? Thought they wanted to be shared. I always look for different things to post...I'm not too original.

Today is 'put up the outside Christmas lights day.' It is fairly warm, so Ned thought it best to make hay while the sun shines.

Take care my friend.....LOL

Gloria Baker said...

Hi dear Lura; How are you, dear thanks by your prayers.
Finally MarĂ­a Esperanza decided to continue at her school, and well, you know, I hope is the best, maybe, I put this in God Hands, huggss!!