Dear Lyle.Today is your birthday.
You were born on Nov. 10, 1971
Unfortunately, that was also your death day.
I never got to hold you.
I never got to say goodbye.
Back then there was no "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" organization where kind
people like my blog friend Jamie come and take pictures for the family to keep.
...
The hospital took you away and put you in the morgue before I even saw you.
They told me, John and my mom it would be too upsetting for us to see you.
I knew they were wrong but I was too sick to argue.
You were buried while I was still recovering from your difficult birth in the hospital.
You were gone from my life but not from my heart.
I agonized with grief.
Then one night I awoke with the following words racing through my mind.
I wrote them down in a poem.
The words gave me comfort.
They brought me peace.
I consider this poem a gift from God.
It still gives me comfort.
I wrote it for you.
I called it Only Son
At that time you were my only son.
...
Only Son
(Cruel words-Kind Answer)
"Your baby's dead!" How cruel the words.
How shocking to my soul.
It can not be. It must not be.
God would not take my son from me.
...
But it was true. My babe was gone
Taken from my arms and breast.
I wept. I cried in agony.
My torment knew no rest.
...
How could it be? How could it be
God took him in his infancy?
Before he walked or talked or cooed for joy
God took away my baby boy.
...
Then in His loving tenderness
God touched my heart that I might know
I'll have my son. I'll hold his hand.
I'll watch him grow into a man.
...
Though I wait to sing him songs of love
I'll sing them in our home above.
For now I'll prove my faith and worth
and thank God He let me give him birth.
...
...
How shocking to my soul.
It can not be. It must not be.
God would not take my son from me.
...
But it was true. My babe was gone
Taken from my arms and breast.
I wept. I cried in agony.
My torment knew no rest.
...
How could it be? How could it be
God took him in his infancy?
Before he walked or talked or cooed for joy
God took away my baby boy.
...
Then in His loving tenderness
God touched my heart that I might know
I'll have my son. I'll hold his hand.
I'll watch him grow into a man.
...
Though I wait to sing him songs of love
I'll sing them in our home above.
For now I'll prove my faith and worth
and thank God He let me give him birth.
...
...
And so Lyle I wait.
I am trying to live a good life.
I am trying to live as Jesus taught us to live.
I am trying to keep His commandments.
I want to be worthy to be with you in our eternal home one day.
...
You would be 38 years old today.
I imagine that you would be much like your younger brother, David.
I am sure that you would be a fine man with a lovely family.
I miss you. I have not forgotten you.
I can smile when I think of you today because I know families are forever.
Happy Birthday dear son.
Love, Mommy







10 comments:
What a tender post! It's nice to know that we have comfort in the gospel that we get to have our precious babes with us forever! Thanks for sharing!
Oh Lura, how could I not know yesterday when we were speaking on the telephone that your heart was someplace else . . . I wish I had known so that I could have held your hand through the wires. I know how very deeply the loss of your son must feel, even all these years later and I too rejoice in a Gospel that teaches us that we can be with our loved ones forever. I look foward to the day when Todd and I can raise our little Peter and, like you, I am working hard to make sure that we can. Oh what a joyous day that will be sweet friend! I send love and hugs and my heartfelt thoughts. xxoo
Dear Sweet Lura: My heart reaches out to you. All I can say is, and it's what I tell myself, give thanks in all things, and find the positive, let Heavenly Father support you through the devastation, and look for the blessing. There is always a blessing attached to tragedy. I know this first hand. I sound arrogant don't I. I don't mean to be. It's taken me years and years of suffering to overcome many things, but when I did I was blessed. I offer this in love!!!
Jan
Thanks for letting us share this deep and personal memory with you Lura. He would have grown into a fine man.
love Angie xx
i'm sure he knows the words of your poem by heart:) it is beautiful lura. i'm so sorry you have had to suffer so-i can't imagine losing a baby in birth. i'm thinking about you and lyle this day. love you!
How beautiful and well written Lura. My thoughts are with you.
What a tender and loving post to your son, Lyle. I'm thinking of you.
What a beautiful poem and tribute to your son.
Happy Birthday to your sweet Lyle. He's had a better 38 years than any of us can ever imagine.
I can't believe you never got to hold him or see him and you weren't even there when they buried him. My heart breaks at the idea of that.
you are a loving caring mother! Im sure he knows how much you love him!!!!
Post a Comment