Saturday, July 18, 2009

Happy Birthday Erin

Erin is my youngest daughter.
Today is her birthday.

She was a precious child.

She was an exemplary teenager

As a young adult she went to Ghana, Africa all on her own to teach the deaf children in sign language. She saw that there was great need because the teachers there did not know sign language or how to teach deaf children.
She encouraged the teachers to attend sign language classes which she taught.
She wrote curriculum for the children.
She founded Signs of Hope International.
She has returned to Africa year after year taking interns to teach at the deaf schools and supplies with her.
The children at the deaf school love her. They have passed on the story of how she first came there on her own and lived in a shack with no running water...and loved them...and taught them.
Now that she is a new mom she can't be going back and forth to Africa.
Others have taken over the leadership of the organization she founded....
...but the children and I will always be amazed at the courage and love it took for my Erin to travel to a far away land because she learned there was a need and she felt prompted to go
there and do what she could to make things better.

Now she is a devoted wife and mother
After years of waiting for a child , our prayers were answered when Erin and Patrick adopted little Calan.
They make wonderful parents for this little boy.
Erin has always wanted to be a mom....and she loves every minute of it.
...
Happy Birthday dear daughter

We all love you dearly

I wish that we were there with you today, like we were last year, to help you blow out your candles.
You are very dear to us....as you always have been...Dad and I wish you a very happy birthday and a great year ahead.
Thank you for being our precious daughter.
Love, Mom

12 comments:

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh my eyes are leaking now! What an amazing daughter you have! And I remember what she went through to get her precious child. I am so happy she now has her own to love and cherish. What an inspirational young women you raised! Happy Birthday Erin!!

Amy Rae said...

Erin is a good friend of mine- Happiest of Birthdays to Her! :)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I got goosebumps...what a sweet post.

Happy birthday to Erin.

Tricia said...

I just love Erin! She and I are just a weeks apart in age, but she always seems so much wiser than me! LOL She's so fun to be around and always has a smile (well, most of the time!). Happy bday Erin!! Big Hugs!!

petite nyonya said...

hi Grammy Lura, thanks for visiting me too :D. it's nice knowing you via our blogs. you are so lucky to have a wonderful daughter who believes in changing the lives of many unfortunate children in africa. not many individuals will choose such path in the prime of their youth. and for all the good things that she has done, am glad that she is now blessed with a wonderful child. i too come from a close-knit family and i can tell that you have a lovely family! wish you many more good things and great blessings to come ;)

Sheryl said...

Erin is an amazing lady! what a life of love and example she is living. Happy Birthday to you Erin!

Tara D. said...

Love the pictures. Happy birthday Erin! :)

hoLLy said...

though i've never had the privileged of meeting erin, i read her blog and can feel of her special spirit there. what an amazing gal! you are a wonderful mother to your children lura and it shows-they all sound so awesome! happy birthday erin!

Jan's Blog said...

It just makes me smile and my heart burst to see Erin holding her little son. I wish I knew her. Happy Birthday!!!

Marie Rayner said...

OH, what a wonderful tribute and Happy Birthday post to your lovely Erin! I hope that she had a really special day, her first birthday as a mom! Happy Birthday Erin!!

Amandawhatever said...

hey this is amanda i am happy for her

Baak Talk said...

Erin sure is a special lady! I'm glad I had a chance to get to know her and call her my friend.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY FRIEND!