Sunday, December 7, 2008

My Sunday Six

I actually was smiling continually for the past two weeks. So I should title this post my Sunday 600 smile makers. The time we spent in Utah with our family put smiles on my face and in my heart.
...
Watch the slide show below and you will see why I had so many things to smile about.

...

I'm sorry about this big space before the slide show. I can't delete it. So please just scroll down a bit and you will get to it.







Click to play Thanksgiving in Utah
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow


#500. I am glad that my house is all decorated for Christmas.

What fun it is to get down the boxes of decorations and put them out each year. I made all of the ornaments that are on our front room tree.

The first Christmas we were married in 1965, we were poor college students and we had no money to buy ornaments for our little tree. I started out by making the gold glittered roses you see in this picture out of egg cartons. Then I glued poinsettias napkins on Styrofoam balls and outlined them with gold paint to make ornaments. Long after we had money to buy ornaments I just kept making more and more as the years past. I know that they are not as lovely as ornaments I could buy but my home made ornaments have a special place in my heart. They each have a story to tell. As I think about the different years that I made each one it brings back sweet memories of Christmases past that warms my heart. I would not trade them now for store bought ornaments no matter how beautiful they might be.

I took down all of my Thanksgiving decorations and put out my Christmas decorations before we left for Utah because I was asked to hostess 12 guests at our home as part of the Relief Society Christmas dinner which was to be held the day after we got home. It was a rush to get all the decorating done before we left on our trip but it was great to have the house ready for Christmas when we got home Tues. evening. That made me smile.
...
#600. I'm glad that we have friends to share the holidays with us.
As I mentioned, I was asked to be one of the hostesses for the Relief Society dinner. I just love setting up pretty tables and having guest come into our home. This dinner was especially easy since it was a pot luck and each family brought a delicious dish to share.

We shared a lovely meal together and then we went to the church for a Christmas program and desserts. smile...smile...smile
Sheryl, Russell, John, Mandy and Bill stopped eating long enough for me to take a blog picture. These gals are bloggers too and know each event must be documented. (By the way, have you gone out and bought one of Mandy Baker's novels yet? Her Vampires are as handsome as Edward. You really should get some of her books and meet them.)
...
Last night we went to a dinner party hosted by two of our temple worker friends. Their home, pool and patios are breathtakingly beautiful and sit on top of a hill with a breath taking view. In comparison to their lovely home, ours looks very humble. However, I enjoy sharing our old home with others. It serves us well. I am thankful for it and sharing it with others makes me smile.
...
I look forward to hearing from you. I hope that you have a wonderful week ahead.
Love, Grammy Lura

25 comments:

Jan's Blog said...

What a spectacular Christmas display. Your home is a Christmas dream come true. And once again, you do set absolutely lovely tables. Thanks for sharing!

The Blonde Duck said...

It sounds lovely. Your house sounds so festive! I actually feel uncomfortable in really fancy houses. I feel like I've fallen off the turnip truck!

Amandawhatever said...

That was a cute slid show this is amanda today we went to a fiewing and saw some one that gave my mom a frist job and we saw old friends it was awsome i saw loni in some of them i wish i saw you this christmas it would be the best christmas present ever to meet loni's grandma:

When some one you love becomes a memory the memory becomes a treasure see ya love amanda

Erin said...

The house looks FABULOUS mom! I love it!

Also, I love the slide show... Loni makes me smile! She is just too much fun!

Love you!

Marie Rayner said...

I just love your Sunday Six Lura!!! I enjoyed looking at all the pictures and the slide show. I love your Christmas Tree and the handmade ornaments. It makes me cry though. My own tree that I had all the years I was married before was covered in handmade ornaments. There was not a store bought one on a branch. I had made them all and I loved them. I was not allowed to take anything with me when my husband put me out of our home. All those ornaments hang on his new wife's Christmas tree now, but I am glad that my children still get to see them and hope that they somehow help them to think of me and the many Christmas's we had together. I know they do. I loved seeing the pictures of your Christmas party with Sheryl and Amanda. I do have a couple of her books!!! Yesterday I was teaching the YW lesson and we did it on dating. I started off by writing EDWARD on the board and they all guessed who it was before I had even got the A on! We then discussed which attributes Edward cullen had that made him such a wonderful choice for Bella and why they should look for those same things in someone they could date and also how to be more like that themselves. Wierd, I know, but it worked!

Marie Rayner said...

PS - I LOVE YOU!!!

kristen said...

The house looks great. You look like you've been having a great time catching up with friends.
Take care
Kristen

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I am so happy for you that your trip to Utah was so much fun. And your home looks lovely all decked out for Christmas!! A lovely post!!

Tara D. said...

It looks like you had a great visit to Utah! And I love your decorations, so festive!!!

Lynell said...

What fun pictures mom. I love the slide show. You have some pictures in there that I didn't even know you took.

Your house looks so great! I can't wait to come see it in person.

XXXOOO

Christine said...

It was so nice meeting you at church. Erin is such a sweetheart that I knew you would be just as wonderful.

joyh82 said...

What a nice christmas display! Stop by my blog, I have an award for you!

bows and more said...

So glad you had so many smiles this week! Love the ornaments! What a special treasure! You are such a sweet person always having things for the church at your house! And what a lovely home it is! Take care and have a beautiful week full of smiles!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I am so glad you had a great time. Thanks for sharing all of the pictures.

The buttermilk...yuck! And, wow, the cherry picker for the house. That's smart thinking.

Your house is so festive, too!

Sheryl said...

So fun to be part of your Sunday Six! We had such a great evening at your home. You are the Hostess with the Mostess! John is pretty terrific too! Good food, great company, what more could we ask for?? Love you!

Luigi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luigi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luigi said...

Hey Lura,
Your post made me smile too! Do you remember it was 11 years ago that a young argentine man landed in your home to visit for Xmas? Wasn't that fun? It was for me. I remember we put all the lights with David on the roof!!
I hope you have a nice holiday season. I'm going home to visit my family next week!! I can't wait!!
Saludos,
Luis

Anonymous said...

Hi Grammy, Thanks for stopping by my site last week. Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. You might also enjoy "the World According to the Little Fish," where I post much more frequently and am general more light hearted. (mina-anne,blogspot.com)

I love your blog! I especially love your story about your hand-made ornaments. They are lovely, and I don't blame you for using them all these years. I am very impressed by how lovely they still look.I'd never guess those roses were egg cartons. I guess you were going green ahead of the crowd, huh?

Fondly ...

Anonymous said...

Hi Lura, I haven't been a very good blogger lately because I think that almost as important as writing a post every so often is, making a comment to your blogging friends and I haven't been very good at that...sorry. I surely did enjoy reading about your Thanksgiving holiday at Lynell's. Where does she live, etc.? I remember you mentioning that you were going to be in Mesquite and we would have loved to see you but we were out of town on the night you were there, hopefully next time you pass through. Your house looks beautiful for the holidays, sounds like you are already in full swing for the season! I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

hoLLy said...

wow, you guys are party animals! :) j/k you definitely are loved by many many people(including us!) i love how you are always entertaining and having people in your home. and i love your decor. you are very talented at decorating!

Patty said...

Your slide show is so cute! It looks like you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family. I also really like your Christmas decorations. They are so festive!!

Kris said...

Lura,
It doesn't matter what the holiday is you decorate your home so beautifully. Let's get together. The comments you left on my blog need answers!!!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Hi Lura, my favorite ornaments are the ones that have memories attached. Like the paper snowman with my son's kindergarten school picture on it and the one my mother brought back from Mexico and ..... Bought ones are beautiful but handmade ones are the best. blessings, marlene

Gloria Baker said...

So nice pictures dear Lura, so nice,all look amazing!!! Gloria