Sunday, January 5, 2014

A look back on 2013 and Happy New Year Wishes

Bloglovin
happy new year

Happy New Year one and all. I still can’t believe that 2013 is over. I wonder if I accomplished all my Heavenly Father wanted me to do?  I hope He is pleased with me but I also hope that I can do better this coming year.

Do you make New Year Resolutions? I used to but I don’t any more. I have goals in mind that I want to accomplish but my main goal is just to be better. I hope that I can look back on 2014 and be pleased with myself and feel God is pleased with my efforts.

2013 was a good year for our family.  I had some  health issues but I am  better now.  I  still have problems with the esophageal spasms but not as often. My sciatic nerve is acting up but I live with it.  Other than just  normal colds, coughs and  aches and pains, John and I are blessed with pretty good health. For this we are thankful.
Here is a recap of some of our highlights of 2013
6000_RedlandsCaliforniaTemple_hr
John and I continued working in the Redlands, CA Mormon temple one day a week. It has been such a blessing to serve in the House of the Lord. We look forward to another year of service this year.
In January we started out the year by going on a cruise to Mexico with some of our friends  and Erin, Patrick, Cal, Ellie, Loni and Claire from our family.
IMG_0073IMG_0094
Cruising is always nice but cruising with friends and  loved ones is GREAT!
Two of our grandsons turned 8 this year and were baptized members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints (Mormons) by their dads who are Elders and have the priesthood authority to do so.
IMG_0325IMG_0328
Davey’s birthday is in Feb. We traveled to Utah to be with him.
IMG_0696IMG_0701
Austin turned 8 in March. Attending the baptisms of these 2 sweet boys was special to us.
Another special event happened in March.  Our Grandson Jalen got his mission call to serve in Osorno, Chile
205682_10151264843094296_1070732141_n1464663_10151830006209296_1549471442_n
He left us in April and will serve for 2 years. He  has learned the language well and is enjoying serving in Chile.  Jalen makes my heart smile. He was a great kid when he left us. He will return to us a better man for having served the Lord and the people of Chile.
1237052_10151668824139296_810621316_n1458593_10151858238999296_514445265_n
Jalen’s older brother, Justin who had just returned from his mission to Guatemala went back into his Army reserve unit and got upgraded to be a specialist as an army medic. I hope that he does not get deployed but if he does I’m sure he will do a good job taking care  of  wounded soldiers. We are proud of our Army boy and all those who serve in the military.
IMG_0847IMG_0855
In May John finally met his goal of visiting inland Alaska. We loved our trip to Denali and Mt. McKinley and the cruise that followed. We don’t have a trip planned for this year. I guess I’d better get busy arranging one.
In July we went to Wyoming for our annual family camping/river rafting trip.
2013-07-28 19.15.312013-07-30 19.09.41
We always have a great time being together with all of our kids and grands.
IMG_0612ipad pics 082
Throughout the year, 11 year old Claire made great strides with her singing career. She was in 3 LA opera productions. She got a main part in Noah’s Flood in April.
2013-05-17 13.38.18carmen 1
Next she was in Tosca and then Carmen.
2013-07-27 17.40.462013-10-04 19.32.27
She had to cut her hair short in order to be in Carmen. That was a big sacrifice because Claire had beautiful long hair.  However she wanted the part in Carmen bad enough to do it. All of our Utah kids came to CA in Oct. to support Claire in her roll in Carmen. (I thought it was really nice of them to come so far to support their niece.)  It was a big event for our family when we all attended the LA Opera together and watched our Claire performing like a doll and singing like an angel.
IMG_3798IMG_4039
Claire’s 13 year old brother, E.J., was busy with his own musical fetes.   He is becoming quite accomplished  at the piano but his true love is the trumpet. He practices hours a day and has made first chair in every honor band he tries out for. (Our son’s children Emma, Gracie and Davey all do well at piano but unfortunately we weren’t in Utah for any of their concerts so I don’t have pictures to share with you.)
While Claire and E.J. were busy at music rehearsals all year, Lonica and Johnny were busy at the gym and the dance studio.
IMG_0381IMG_4271
14 year old Loni won every dance competition she was in and got scholarships to a dance academy.
426398_10151342456929296_312821692_n531018_10151342453914296_61062522_n486660_10151342456989296_1902616787_n
This little gal is an amazing dancer and beautiful to watch.
Her big brother, Johnny was busy making his mark in the gymnastics world.
1185821_10151836732080990_139430500_n1002315_597073330336726_1456120656_n
In August he competed and was ranked 7th in the nation.
302321_441533502557377_883209834_n1236563_622437217800337_1256936845_n
In Sept, on his 17th birthday, he was invited to join the USA National Junior Team. He went to his first international competition in November where…
1482954_615716738485482_816165007_n
..The USA boys brought home the Gold.  We are so happy that Johnny’s years and years of hard work at the Gym every day but Sunday is paying off for him. His heart is set on making the next Olympic team. I hope and pray that he will make it.
IMG_1894IMG_1896
In Oct I was able to take a short cruise to Mexico with my friend Jan. This was one of her bucket list items that I was happy to help her check off.
2013-11-24 13.33.40IMG_2344
In November, our whole family (except Johnny and Jalen who were out of the country)  came for Thanksgiving.
IMG_0798IMG_2214
We had a wonderful time being together and giving thanks for all of our blessings.
IMG_2340IMG_2376

In Dec. we spent Christmas with Mindy and Ernie and had a lovely time. We had planned to visit Utah after Christmas and spend New Year’s Eve there. However, since we were not able to find anyone to sub for us at the temple and since I have a bad cough and cold, we didn’t go.
2013-12-31 21.16.132013-12-31 23.32.03

We ended 2013 by going out to dinner with friends and then back to their house for a little New Year’s party with some of their other friends. I started coughing a lot so we left a little before the year ended and …
1486770_10201290631934870_905217096_n2014-01-01 01.10.21
…made it home in time to ring in the new year with the crowds at Time’s Square on TV. (Can you see my NYC friend Buttercup in the picture?)
Those are the high lights of our whole year 2013… but they are only the tip of the iceberg. All of our kids and our grand kids have done well this past year. I could tell you about all of their accomplishments but it would take way to long. Let’s just say that I am so proud and thankful for each one of them. My heart is full to the brim and bubbling over with smiles.
We have had our challenges this year but we know the Lord had been with us and blessed us abundantly. We are very grateful and look forward to 2014 with hope and high expectations.
Happy New Year &
May God bless you in
2014
Hugs, Grammy Lura

5 comments:

LeAnn said...

Oh Lura this was such a wonderful post on your 2013 year smiles. You did some awesome moments. You have a lovely and talented family. I loved the pictures and a recap of your many smiles.
You are such a joy; and I love your friendship.
Blessings, hugs and love to you!

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, what a full and wonderful year you have had. I always love reading about your family times. You have such a dear and precious family. You are a joy to know and I want you to know that you are one of the ones I can count on one hand. A kindred spirit sister/friend. I treasure your friendship with all of my heart. I, too, wish we lived closer so that we could do things together. I look forward to the day when we can spend any time together at all. I hold our week in Utah/Idaho in my heart like a precious jewel. Love you my dear friend. Always. xxoo

Visits With Mary said...

Lura, thanks for sharing your beautiful family and memories. You are truly blessed!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

You have a beautiful family, Lura, and some very talented grandchildren. I am sending you an e-mail. Please let me know if/when you get it. Wishing you peace, good health, new adventures, and many blessings in 2014.

Kris said...

That is a great review! It must have taken a lot of time to do.
I predict that your next post will take a lot of 'gall' to write. :) how are you feeling? I called today to check on you but no answer. Maybe you went to Disneyland (haha).