Saturday, October 26, 2013

Cruising Bucket List Smiles

CoralPrincess

Jan and I have spent the last few weeks checking off things on her bucket list. This past week we took a short cruise to Ensenada, Mexico on the Golden Princess.

IMG_4936IMG_1909

This is the same ship that John and I took to Hawaii last year. I knew that it was a beautiful ship. I was anxious for Jan to get aboard and enjoy it.

IMG_1961IMG_1894

We boarded the ship about 1:00 p.m. last Monday. After our life boat drill we found our way to the dinning room.

IMG_1896IMG_1898

We had many delicious meals while on board.

IMG_1899IMG_1903

We especially enjoyed the shrimp, salmon, and…..

IMG_1975IMG_1904

the steak, lobster and prime rib. The desserts were great too.

IMG_1905IMG_1906

Our nice waiters made our dining experiences special.

IMG_2019

IMG_4932IMG_4935

Tuesday we arrived in Ensenada. Jan did a little shopping in the shops at the dock but didn’t feel up to going on a tour of the city. She wanted to spend the day resting in our room. However, she wanted me to go on the tour without her.

IMG_1910

I knew she really needed to rest so I didn’t feel badly going out for the day. I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed my day in Ensenada.

IMG_1955IMG_1956

This big flag weighs 500 lbs. It is 120 ft. long and 87 feet wide. It is beautiful to see. We drove through the city for an hour to get out to the IMG_1919IMG_1924

La Bufadora….. the Blow Hole.

IMG_1917IMG_1920

It really put on a show for us.

IMG_1923IMG_1931

Every few seconds it would spray up many feet into the air.

IMG_1926IMG_1928

I made friends with a sweet Chinese girl. We enjoyed the day together.

IMG_1954IMG_1958

Next we toured a beautiful old hotel that is now the convention center.

From the tile floors to the wooden ceilings…..

IMG_1942IMG_1944

The workmanship is exquisite inside and out.

IMG_1937IMG_1948

I had a nice day in Mexico.

IMG_1908IMG_1997

Jan viewed Ensenada from our balcony. At day’s end we sailed away.

IMG_1966IMG_1968

Wednesday was a sea day. Jan was not feeling well but did enjoy going to the ship’s tea party with me. It wasn’t as lovely as Barbara’s Victorian Tea but it was very nice and we had a good time together.

IMG_1984IMG_1986

When she needed to rest in our room, I went on a tour of the galley

IMG_2000IMG_2001

and walked around the deck and on the treadmill

IMG_2018

 

I needed to get my 10,000 steps a day in to help make up for all the good food I was eating.

IMG_2007IMG_2010

We did some last minute shopping on the ship before dinner…. and

IMG_2023IMG_2025

before we turned around it was Thursday morning and our cruise was over. John came to pick us up.

IMG_2027

We said goodbye to our ship and drove back to reality and home. Even though Jan was pretty sick at times on the ship, I think she enjoyed going and was happy to check taking a cruise off of her bucket list. I’m glad that I could be with her and help her do this. I will treasure these sweet memories in my heart.

I hope that you had a good time cruising through last week too.

Hugs, Grammy Lura

7 comments:

LeAnn said...

Lura, you are such a dear friend to all. I loved what you did for Jan. I am happy she was able to go and enjoy what she could. What a sweet gift you have given this dear friend. I loved all of the pictures. I need to take up the 10,000 step program again.
Blessings, love and hugs dear friend.

LeAnn said...

Lura, you are such a dear friend to all. I loved what you did for Jan. I am happy she was able to go and enjoy what she could. What a sweet gift you have given this dear friend. I loved all of the pictures. I need to take up the 10,000 step program again.
Blessings, love and hugs dear friend.

LeAnn said...

Lura, you are such a dear friend to all. I loved what you did for Jan. I am happy she was able to go and enjoy what she could. What a sweet gift you have given this dear friend. I loved all of the pictures. I need to take up the 10,000 step program again.
Blessings, love and hugs dear friend.

Buttercup said...

I echo LeAnn, you are such a good friend and I am sure you and Jan shared wonderful memories.

10,000 steps. I am so thrilled to see you write this. Once my foot is in better shape -- November, I hope and pray! -- I will be back to exercise and hope to join you in the 10,000 step club. I will post a link to the kale chip recipe this week.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

That blow hole is amazing!

What a great friend you are for helping Jan create such wonderful memories.

I am now currently very hungry from looking at all of that food. Great job exercising while you were on the ship, too.

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, you are such a sweet friend. But, I have always known that. I had hoped to one day meet Jan. I don't think that will happen now. Makes me sad. Please give her my deepest love. I need to start taking 10000 steps a day. You are a star to be doing that and keeping it up. I am off to the hospital today for heart tests. Wish me luck! Love you much. xxoo

Sybil said...

How wonderful Lura that you were able to have such a lovely few days away with your friend. I am sure taking her with you must have just made her few days so much brighter than they may have been,
God Bless and much love winging there way to you and John xxx