Sunday, October 6, 2013

Wonderful Weekend Smiles…… Carmen, Claire and Family

a grammy smile

This Grammy is full of smiles tonight after having a simply wonderful weekend. John and I got to spend time with all 4 of our children and 4 of our grandchildren. We all joined together to go see our 11 year old Claire perform in the LA Opera production of Carmen.

2013-10-04 18.36.442013-10-04 18.36.57

David and Marla flew in from Utah. Erin, Lynell and Loni drove down. They came to support Claire because she had made such a sacrifice to be in Carmen.

IMG_6014IMG_0495

Claire loved having pretty long hair.

2013-05-17 13.38.18

When she was in Tosca they pinned up her hair and let her wear a wig but they wouldn’t let her do that in Carmen. They said if she wanted to be in the production she would have to cut her hair short. They said it was because she would be in acts 1,3 and 4 and they would not would not pay her makeup artist to stay that late to be sure her wig was on right. We were all sad. I didn’t think Claire would do it……

2013-07-27 17.40.462013-07-27 17.41.01

….but she wanted to be in the opera bad enough that she did. This summer we had a “we love Claire without her hair” hair cutting party when we were all together in Utah. She was in tears when she was getting it cut but gave me this cute smile afterwards. That is why my sweet Utah kids decided to come down to support Claire in her “short hair” little boy role in Carmen.

carmen 1

We dropped Claire off at the stage door to get into makeup and costume Friday evening.

2013-10-04 18.56.10

Then, the rest of us went out to dinner and

2013-10-04 19.32.27

excitedly waited for the show to start.

2013-10-04 19.37.58carmen ticket

2013-10-04 21.53.332013-10-04 21.54.04

While we waited I got a few pictures. Loni gave me her impression of Carmen…. I told her she is too sweet to be a Carmen!

Carmen 3

LA Opera did a beautiful job putting on this production of Carmen. Of course I could not take my eyes off of Claire but everyone did an outstanding job.

Carmen 2

Claire loved being one of the 9  in the children’s chorus cast. She says she misses having long hair but this experience was worth the sacrifice…. hair will grow back.

2013-10-04 20.46.462013-10-04 20.47.07

Claire likes working with James Conlon and Placido Domingo. Placido kissed her on the forehead last week and she said she will never wash it off.

2013-10-04 23.47.21

She and her friend were happy to get this picture with Carmen (Patricia Bardon) Claire hopes to be a famous opera star like Patricia some day.

2013-10-04 23.46.02

The children were told not to pester the stars but Patricia was very gracious. She signed their “Camp Carmen” hats and said she was happy to pose for a picture with these 2 little cast girls.

2013-10-04 23.41.132013-10-04 23.41.26

It was late when the show was over…( including intermissions it is a 4 hour production)…

2013-10-04 23.44.512013-10-04 23.45.11

…but we still took time for a few more pictures before starting our hour drive home. It is kind of funny that Claire is the only one who does not look like she is dressed up for the opera.

2013-10-04 23.44.21

It was a wonderful evening… wonderful to be with our children and grands…. wonderful music…. wonderful watching darling Claire on stage. John and I are feeling quite cultured now…. this was our 3rd opera since April of this year. (We really are not “opera” people but what can we do when our Claire keeps getting cast in them???)

2013-10-06 10.19.272013-10-06 10.30.38

The time sped by and before we hardly turned around it was time to say goodbye today.

2013-10-06 10.30.022013-10-06 10.31.48

My heart is full of thankfulness as I think of this lovely weekend. On top of all of this we also got to

2013-10-05 19.28.432013-10-05 19.25.19

go to one of EJ’s winter ball games where they won 16 to 0 and…

conference

Listen to wonderful, inspiring talks from our church leaders as we  watched the general conference of our church on TV.  You can listen to these uplifting talks by going to www.lds.org

I feel so blessed to have had these great experiences. I hope that you have had a lovely weekend too.

Hugs and best wishes, Grammy Lura

 

4 comments:

Sybil said...

Oh Lura, what a wonderful time you all had. It is amazing to be able to enjoy and be involved in yout Granchildrens lives..You truly are blessed grandparents..
I follow all your adventures and the families,from afar and keep you ALL in my prayers...xxxx

Jan's Blog said...

Claire's hair is absolutely adorable. I thought about all of you all weekend and it was a joy to hear the stories today as we ran errands. You are so very blessed Lura.

Marie Rayner said...

What a lovely weekend you had Lura, and conference on top of it all. How fabulous! I am not surprised at all of the talents your children and grandchildren show. The apple does not fall far from the tree. They have a wonderful perspective on life and are a tribute to you and John and all the hard work you put in bringing them up. I miss you my friend. I keep thinking have I done something to offend? I sure hope not! xxoo

LeAnn said...

Lura, what a very fun post. I love all of the pictures of your family and of that sweet Claire. I can just imagine how thrilled you were to see her up on that stage. It is so fun to see your children and or grandchildren doing great things like this. Then to see a grandson's game it fun too. We need to try to get to a few more of our grandchildren's games.
You are such a wonderful mother and grandmother and I know how happy you must feel to have them come and support Claire.
Blessings, love and hugs dearest friend.