Sunday, June 23, 2013

Father Day Smiles for 2013

fathers day

Those of you who have been reading my blog through the years know that I do not have many happy memories with my father. There are a few… but since he ran off with a teenager and left our family when I was 7 there are not very many.  Then, shortly after I reconnected with him as an adult, he died. Thankfully I always felt my Heavenly Father’s love even though I didn’t feel love from my dad. However, Father’s day was never really a happy time for my mom and me when I was growing up. 

However, that has all changed since I have a family of my own.

IMG_1161

Now I love celebrating this holiday as a time to honor the good men in my family. I am thankful for my hubby. He is a good husband and father. He is a righteous man who loves the Lord and his family. 

viewattachment

As the patriarch of our family, he sets a good example for all the young men and their dads to follow. I could not be more blessed with loving men in our family. I could not be with our son or two of my  sons-in-law  but I was thinking of them today with thanksgiving in my heart.

2013-06-16 10.44.552013-06-16 10.43.21

We did spend a lovely day with Mindy and her family. We went to church with them. Claire sang a beautiful solo and the talks were inspirational.  We feel blessed that we live close to this sweet family  and  get to share special times with them.

2013-06-16 17.21.22

After church we had fun being together with their family.

2013-06-16 17.24.262013-06-16 17.41.47

Mindy made her traditional Japanese Father’s Day Dinner.

2013-06-16 17.50.152013-06-16 17.50.52

If she ever decides to stop being a speech therapist, she could get a job as a sushi chef.  She does a great job making the two “dads” in her life their favorite dinner.

2013-06-16 17.54.30

Sushi, miso soup, salad, rice, teriyaki salmon…. it was a dinner fit for an emperor.  Thank you once again Mindy for all of your hard work.

2013-06-16 19.42.16

Erin asked me to get her dad his favorite rhubarb pie for dessert. He enjoyed every bite. I got Ernie a piecake from Marie Callendar’s. I’ve never heard of such a thing before. It was a cake on top of a pie covered with whipping cream… and it was yummy.

2013-06-16 20.37.262013-06-16 20.41.18

After dessert, cards and presents were opened.

2013-06-16 20.43.15

I think these two dads felt loved and appreciated….. at least I hope they did.

I am thankful for my husband, our son and each of our daughter’s husbands. They are all good men, good husbands and good fathers. Each one of them makes my heart smile.

I am happy to say that Father’s Day is no longer a sad day in my life…. it is a joyous occasion.   I hope your Father’s Day was lovely too.

On my next post I’ll send you 4th of July smiles and then I plan to take you all with me to Denali, Alaska.  I hope you will join me there. 

Hugs, Grammy Lura

No comments: