Sunday, June 9, 2013

Anchorage and Mt. McKinley Smiles

a grammy smile

Dear Blog Friends,

As most of you know John and I took classes and became  travel agents after we retired from teaching school. It is more work than it appears but it is a nice way for us to travel at a reduced rate and see beautiful parts of this wonderful world God made for us.  We just got back from taking a group to Alaska for a land tour and a sea cruise.

IMG_0796IMG_0799

We flew with our group on Alaska airlines from LA to Anchorage by way of Portland.

IMG_0809IMG_0810

It was a long day of travel so we were excited when we saw Alaska below us…

IMG_0811

…And got our first glimpse of Anchorage.

IMG_0813IMG_0815

We were picked up at the airport by our Princess transfer van and driven

IMG_0817IMG_0819

….to the Cook Hotel where we spent the night. The picture on the left was taken around midnight and the picture of our hotel on the right was taken mid day. There is about 20 hours of daylight there this time of year.

IMG_0971IMG_0972

Most of our group ate breakfast in the hotel the next morning but locals recommended that we try reindeer hot dogs from one of the vender carts for lunch. We did and they were delicious….. just don’t tell my grandkids we ate a reindeer…. I’m sure that it wasn’t one of Santa’s.

IMG_0820IMG_0835

I wish that we could have had more time in Anchorage so I could have seen more of that city and gotten more picture to show you. We only had a short time there before we boarded our Princess bus and headed inland to Mt. McKinley. Our bus driver was a cute Mormon boy from BYU who drives bus in Alaska for a summer job. It was fun getting to know him.

IMG_0821IMG_0826

After about a 4 hour drive we arrived at Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge.  There had been a blizzard the week before but the weather was beautiful the whole time we were on our land tour.

IMG_0827IMG_0832

Our room and the lodge were comfortable and beautiful.

IMG_0825

The food was very good at each of the restaurants but of course the best part of our stay was…

IMG_0823

…The breath taking view of Mt. McKinley.

IMG_0833

Mt. McKinley is the highest peak in North America. It is 30,230 ft. high.

mt 1

It was named Denali by the Indians which means “The great one.” The Alaskans still call the mountain Denali. (I bet you can guess who that is in the hat viewing the mountain.)

mt 2 

It is a shy mountain and likes to hide in the clouds most of the time. They say that she is only visible about 30% of the time. She was in clear view for us both days we were at Mt. McKinley….. we were really lucky blessed.

IMG_0834IMG_0837

It was with some regret that we packed up our bags and boarded the bus that would take us to Talkeetna…. but we were also excited to continue our Alaskan adventure.

I’ll look forward to showing you more of Alaska in my next post.

I’m glad to be back where I can visit your blogs again. I look forward to getting caught up with what you have been doing the last 2 weeks.

Hugs, Lura

6 comments:

bettyj said...

Oh what beautiful scenery! I would love to visit Alaska.What about a fellow Mormon driving your bus! I do not believe in co incidence nor luck. God always has a plan. I bet you enjoyed the opera. I like it once in a while. Last I saw was Riggoletti.(sp)lol I appreciate your prayers.

Kris said...

Lura, that is a place I long to visit. My parents had been a few times, and loved it!!! So pretty!!!! How nice that you can travel this way.
Lovely photos!!!
xo Kris

Chatty Crone said...

Oh such good memories - but was that snow? I went in June a few years ago and I was actually hot. Isn't it beautiful there? Love it. sandie

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, I always learn so much when I read your page. I have enjoyed all of your pictures and the narrative describing each one. I can't wait for the next installment! I think you and John must be fabulous tour guides. I would love to go on one of your cruises with you. HOpe springs eternal. Perhaps one day! Love you much! xxoo

StitchinByTheLake said...

Lura it is so beautiful! Someday Jerry and I want to make that trip. Now that I'm not working maybe we will get back to a bit of traveling! Blessings, Marlene

LeAnn said...

I love following your vacation posts. I can somewhat live vicariously through your pictures. Your trips are so fun.
We are actually on a short vacation to Zion Canyon Park for our 46th Wedding Anniversary. The scenery is lovely and we are taking tons of pictures which I will post later.
Blessings and hugs for you!