I have many sweet smiles to share with you from our trip to visit family in Utah. Today I will concentrate on our Missionary Smiles.
We had planned to leave Utah last Monday but we got a call that morning that our 18 year old grandson, Jalen, had received his Mission call in the mail. That meant that we would need to unpack, stay an extra day and back track 62 miles to our daughters house…. which we were happy to do in order to be a part of this important event.
Jalen submitted his missionary paperwork to the church several weeks ago. We were hoping that his call would come while we were there. We all gathered together that evening at his home in anxious anticipation of where he would be asked to serve. Lynell had put a chart on the wall with all of the missions listed. We all put our names by the area we guessed that he might be called. I did not win the prize for guessing right.
(To learn more about the LDS Church (Mormon) missionary program click on the “I am a child of God” icon on my side bar. We have over 55,000 missionaries serving world wide at their own expense. Our young men are ask to serve 2 years. Our young women are welcome to serve if they desire to do so. )
With good wishes and cameras ready…..
Jalen opened up his letter and found out he will be serving in ….
… The Osorno, Chile mission which goes from the city of Osorno all the way down to the bottom of Chile. Is that anywhere near where you live Gloria?
We were all excited for him…. especially Erin’s husband, Patrick who served in Chile also. He said that Jalen will love it there. (Of course most missionaries think their mission is the best area in the world…. and I guess for them it is.)
We shed a few tears and gave lots of hugs to our new Elder. It seems like just yesterday that we were welcoming Justin home from Guatemala…. and now Jalen is leaving.
Grampy and I were so glad that we could be with Jalen for this special occasion. He leaves to go to the Missionary Training Center April 24th. We were all shocked that he is leaving so soon. There is much to do to get him ready to leave.
For one… he needs a new wardrobe….pants, white shirts, ties, shoes, suit, etc. We rushed out to get him a new suit. As I saw him standing there getting his suit fitted, I was amazed how the Lord turns these young men from boys into missionaries…. willing to give up 2 years of their life, learn a new language, live away from home and family and work hard and sacrifice as they serve the Lord and try to share His Gospel with the world. To me our missionary program is amazing and marvelous.
I Know that Jalen will be blessed the rest of his life because of his willingness to serve the Lord in this calling. I know that he will love the people of Chile. I know that it will be hard work but it will be worth it. I know that our whole family will grow in faith and testimony as we share his missionary experiences through his letters. My heart is full of smiles for Jalen and for the testimony I have that this is the Lord’s work.
I hope that you are having a good week and that your heart is full of smiles too. We are back home now and I look forward to getting to get caught up on reading your blogs. Hugs, Grammy Lura







9 comments:
Blessings to Jalen and all of your family. So glad you got to share this wonderful day with them. Hugs across the miles!
Oh what news!!! I am glad you had a nice visit in Utah! I am sure your grandson will do wonderful work in Chile. May he be safe, and well while he is away.
Hugs,
Kris
Oh Lure, how very exciting for your family, and for Jalen! I just know he will be a fabulous missionary! We love the missionaries and do all that we can to help them with what we have to share. Our lives are blessed in countless ways for doing so. As Ward Missionaries, Todd and I are able to go and teach with them and experience first hand the joy that comes from sharing the Gospel with others in such a tangible and meaningful way. We love it. We will be keeping Jalen in our prayers for the two years he is away from the bosom of his family. You must all be so proud, and rightfully so. Happy that you were able to be there when he got his call. Hoping that he will be near Gloria at some point on his mission. How wonderful would THAT be! xxoo
PS - sorry for the mistype of your name! I was so excited my fingers got away from me! LOVE YOU! Lura.
yea for jalen! and how awesome its in the same country as his dad-i have a hope that ammon or wes will get to serve in the philippines like joey:) that would be so neat to share the love of that people together. i bet you are one proud grammy! :)
are you feeling any better? doc figure anything out??
Oh Lura Im so happy for him. When he will arrive; remember he has to think.we are in autumn now and next coming the winter.
So warm clothes (yes I know the missioners using his formal clothes) But he has to have anyway warm clothes; in Osorno rain a lot in winter but is one of the most beautiful places in the soouth of Chile I love the south we were in holidays About 1 mobth ago and always is beauty the people is nice and the food delicious! Really! Still is a place that has town and countryside.He will be ok!
Im in santiago is more the center of Chile but any thibg he want ask from here is ok You have my mail?
Is gloriadelpilar_1994@yahoo.com and I will send you my phone if he need something. Loads of love!
I love your smiles. I remember our children opening up their calls. It was such a fun event. I love that you have one grandson that has served and one going out. I am praying that our grandson will decide to go in July. Our two oldest didn't serve. We do have lots of boys coming up in a few years. I always love reading your posts; you are such a dear friend.
I am happy you home safe and sound.
Blessings, love and hugs!
What wonderful new's and what wonderful blessing's will be coming to all.Thanks for your love and prayer's. Sorry I miss yor call.Take Care.oooxxx
Thanks for possting this
Post a Comment