Friday, January 11, 2013

Belated Christmas day smiles

a grammy smile

I know that I am almost 3 weeks late posting my Christmas Smiles…. but at least I’m 2 days early doing my weekly Sunday post. In fact, this is my second post this week… Will wonders never cease?

However, there is a reason that I am posting today. I’m taking a group on a cruise. (I know… it is a tough job but someone has to do it!!!) We leave after Church on Sunday. Erin, Patrick and 4 of my grandchildren are part of the group so it is an extra special cruise for us. Erin and family will arrive today so I know this will be my last chance to blog for a while.

I want to document our Christmas Day smiles before it is Valentine’s Day. I guess it is better late than never.

 IMG_6353

As I told you in my last post, my Christmas started early since I was still up at midnight Christmas eve. I helped Mindy with last minute wrapping and just enjoyed the last minutes of Christmas Eve.

I went to bed about 12:30. I sleep with Claire and Grampy stays in EJ’s room. I don’t get a lot of sleep but it is fun being there and the kids are always excited that we are spending the night at their house. That night it wasn’t Claire that kept me awake. I had 2 esophageal spasms during the night. The pain in my neck and jaw is too severe to sleep through. I surely wish the meds they are giving me would stop these attacks…. but I digress… I finally got to sleep in spite of the pain and my excitement that Santa Clause was coming in a few hours.

IMG_6355

And sure enough….. Santa came. Claire and EJ snuck out of bed bright and early and went down stairs to find Santa had filled the stockings and left a room full of gifts. They excitedly woke the rest of us so we could join in the merriment.

IMG_6357IMG_6361IMG_6363IMG_6364

What fun it is to watch excited children open their gifts.  We also appreciated the thoughtful gifts we received.

IMG_6358IMG_6360

I was especially touched that my little Claire bought me a new charm for my Brighton charm bracelet with her own money. Those charms cost $20 each which is a fortune for a little girl to spend. She got me a sun glasses charm so when I look at it I will remember the cruise we are taking together down to sunny Mexico.

IMG_6365

Mindy always does Christmas Eve dinner and I do Christmas day brunch. After all the gifts were opened we ate a nice meal and then we just lazed around the house all day in our jammies watching the kids play with their new toys. Since we had 3 iPads and 2 iPods in the room, we sat around playing electronic games together for hours. I wish I’d gotten a picture of us all sitting on the couch with our electronic devices.  I taught EJ how to play Gems with Friends (my favorite game) and before long he was beating me!!!!

IMG_6367

Grampy is not an electronic game player, so he spent the day doing his favorite activity.

We played the day away and didn’t even get dressed until late afternoon when we decided to go see the movie,  Les Miserable. (I’ve tried for 20 minutes to get a picture of it to download and put in this post… but nothing worked so use your imagination.)

I loved the movie. The singing was not as good as when we saw the Broadway production but the acting was outstanding.  I really enjoyed the movie even though the emotions of watching it wore me out.

So this is how we spent Christmas day. The only sad part for me was being away from our Utah kids but we feel so blessed to have Mindy and family close by to be with.  My heart is full of sweet memories of Christmas 2012.

Have a good week.  I will share my cruise smiles with you when I get back. 

Hugs, Grammy Lura

 

5 comments:

Sybil said...

I am so glad that you are able to share your time with the family on Christmas eve and day. Now yoou may well be away on your wonderful cruise...Enjoy every minute, rest and relax...
Mary and I have a cruise booked for June from Southampton to Norway stopping at Dublin for a day as well...
Much Love till you come home safely to us God Bless xxx

Kris said...

Such fun!!! Great photos!!!!
Hugs,
Kris

LeAnn said...

What a lovely Christmas celebration. It looked like so much fun and I think it is awesome that you just hung out and enjoyed the day in your PJ's. We went to Les Mes on Christmas day too. We both really loved it.
Lura, you are always in my prayers and I hope you get rid of the pain soon.
I know you will have a great time on your cruise. It is awesome that you are having family with you.
Blessings, love and hugs!

bettyj said...

Aw, your posts always make me smile. What a lovely family you have, and aren't grandchildren gifts the best

hoLLy said...

love that picture of john :) looks like a wonderful day!! we got snow on Christmas day this year-it was amazing! texas doesn't get much snow so it was fun. sorry to hear you are having bad side effets from meds-no fun :( i will pray for you that they subside! sorry to have been missing from your posts and commenting lately. since we moved and wes came, i feel like life has been a blur and i'm slowly coming out of it. its been hard. i've had time for just quick posts on my phone on facebook ehre and there and thats about it. i finally did a few blog posts this week. not even caught up through november yet. geez. anyways, just wanted to pop(i have to tell you i just accidentally wrote poop! haha) by and say hello. hope you had a blast on the cruise!!