Sunday, December 2, 2012

Goodbye to Sunday Six and more Thanksgiving Smiles

For several years I’ve made a Sunday post called “Staffy’s Sunday Six Smiles” and used this picture as my title page.

A_staffy's_Sunday_Six

I’ve enjoyed thinking about the things each week that I am thankful for and sharing my smiles with you in pictures….. However, thinking of six different things and putting in pictures made my posts long.

  Sometimes I’ve had a hard time coming up with 6 things to post….. sometimes I’ve had more than 6 things I wanted to share. Sometimes writing my post seems like an assignment rather than a pleasure. Sometimes it seems like a lot of work considering that Mindy is my only family member that reads my blog and very few blog friends stop by anymore.

So…… for these reasons… I am retiring “Staffy’s Sunday Six” and replacing it with:

a grammy smile

This way I am not obligated to…. or limited by…. 6 smiles.  I can keep posting on Sunday… or pick another day…. or forget it not. I think this will get me off the hook  work better for me. What do you think?

As you know if you read my last post, all 22 of our kids and grandkids came for Thanksgiving. What a wonderful time we had. I shared our Thanksgiving  dinner with you last week. Today I would like to share some of the other things that made me smile throughout the week they were with us.

IMG_6134IMG_6135

Erin and Patrick were the first to arrive and Erin didn’t let any time go to waste before she started in helping me. She decided to help me by cleaning out all of my kitchen drawers….(not that they needed it… as you can see from all she pulled out of my spices drawer …lol)….. but she did it anyway.  I so appreciate all of her work. My heart smiles now every time I open one of my kitchen drawers. Not only am I enjoying having all my drawers so nicely organized…. I am enjoying the love that pours out of them as I think of Erin’s kind service.

IMG_6308

Dathan helped John fix our kitchen faucet that has had a leak for a long time.

IMG_6136IMG_6171

Patrick did some outside cleaning up for us. Even Cal got into the spirit of helping. I didn’t get pictures of Patrick and Dathan to show you but picturing them in my mind  makes me smile. I am thankful for sweet family that were so helpful.

IMG_0006IMG_6191

Our kitchen that was so full of people and food

IMG_1737

is clean and quiet now.

IMG_1741IMG_1742

Our home seems big and empty now with just John and me here.

IMG_1744

But if I listen closely I can still hear the laughter and voices that filled each room Thanksgiving week.

IMG_0011IMG_0012

We were wall to wall family. All the bedrooms were full and so were the living room and family room floors.

IMG_6144IMG_6148

And we were stylish.

IMG_6150

Aunt Lynell bought all the girls crazy stylish socks….so…

IMG_6151

They traded them around and we had a sock fashion show.

What sweet memories. My heart is full of smiles and thankfulness.

I’ve not been well this past week. I spent 7 hours in urgent care Tuesday. They thought I was having trouble with my heart because I was having bad pain in my chest, neck, jaw and arm…. and my heart enzyme troponin 1 level kept going up which is an indicator of heart damage. However, my EKG was just slightly abnormal and after a full day of tests I came home.

I’ve had 4 more attacks since Tuesday. I feel like I am having a “Charlie horse” in my chest, neck and jaw.  It may be caused by esophageal spasms. It is very painful, but not scary like it was Tuesday since they ruled out heart attack. I just wish it would go away.

I go back to the doctors next week for more tests. Wish me luck. This is not fun.

I hope you are doing well.  Hugs and best wishes, Grammy Lura

7 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Lura, I am so sorry that you still aren't feeling well. I will double up on the prayers. Sad to see your Sunday Smiles ending, but grateful that you are not stopping blogging forever as I would miss you so. You are one of my blogging treasures. I don't get many visitors these days either. Sometimes I think why bother, but then . . . I just ask myself why do I do it, and then I realize that I do it more for me than for anyone else and I enjoy it even if nobody reads it and so I just keep it up. I have loved seeing all of your family pictures and reading about all that you did together. You are so blessed my dear friend to have the family that you and John do, but then . . . you did everything right and this is your reward for having lived a righteous life and putting in all the hard work that you did. I don't have the same thing because I made poor choices. Sad but true. Why does wisdom only come with age? I think we should be born smart and then just get stupider as we get older, lol. xxoo

Marie Rayner said...

PS - I love you very much. You are one of the jewels in my life, my sister, my friend, my kindred spirit. xxoo

Kris said...

Oh Lura, first of all, I am so sorry for your being ill. And that must be so terribly painful and scary!!! What a relief to know that it is not your heart though. Praying that your tests on Tuesday will indicate the cause so that it can be taken care swiftly.
Your holiday photos filled my heart. Your large and loving family, so much like mine. What a blessing!!!
Sending you love and hugs Lura!
xo KRis

StitchinByTheLake said...

Lura you've had some difficult times in the last year and more and I so hate that for you. I'm concerned about this latest issue. I have esophogeal spasms but they don't affect me all the way to my jaw. That's scary stuff! Be well my friend. I will pray for better days! blessings, marlene

LeAnn said...

You will continue in my prayers. I feel so sad to know that you are in pain and still do not know why. Bless you; I want you well.
I did love your pictures and smiles. You have such a lovely family. I know what it is like to have wall to wall people staying with you. It is always so fun. Yes, it gets messy; but family time is so important. I can tell your home was brimming with love and smiles.
Blessings to you and I pray you will be doing better soon.
Love and hugs!

bettyj said...

I am sorry you are having issues. Scary! About your blog. Blogging is supposed to be a fun thing to do,not a job. Do it the way it makes you happy. I am having all kinds of issues with blogger. They are wanting me to buy "storage". People I talked to say this is a scam, DON'T DO IT. I cannot upload an pics. A friend is doing it for me. I write the blog, she inserts pix. I won't continue to do this, so my Back door may be closing.lol I don't think people are commenting, but are visiting. I may have 12 comments, but 100 hits on my blog that day. Who knows?

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

You are so blessed to have such an awesome family...which of course is a total reflection of you!

I'm glad you all had such a nice time together.

I'll be praying for you and your pains and hope that you find relief and answers soon.