Sunday, December 16, 2012

A sad weekend for Newtown

a grammy smile

It is hard to speak of smiles when so many are suffering anguish in the aftermath of the terrible shootings in Newtown, Connecticut 2 days ago. How can we make since of it or come to grips with such unthinkable violence?  Any killing is terrible but when it involves so many little children it seems unbearable.

However, even with this terrible news there are things to bring us smiles.

beams of light

We can smile because God is always there to comfort those who mourn.  I was overcome with emotion as I watched the father of little 6 year old Emily speak on TV last night. They had recently left their Mormon community in Utah to move to Connecticut. You know that they must regret making that move…. and yet as grief stricken as that father is, he still has faith in God.  His little family is turning to God in their grief, not away from Him. Their faith and knowledge that life is eternal will help them get through the days ahead.

7a21

We know that Jesus’s sacrifice made it possible for all mankind to be resurrected and return to live with God again. Jesus overcame the sting of death. That knowledge brings comfort to those who mourn.

salt-lake-808x480-SLTEMPLEKIOSK2

Temple ordinances seal families together for time and all eternity. They will be with their sweet child again one day. Click on the word TEMPLE  or on the picture of a temple on my sidebar to learn more about why we build temples and the ordinances that are performed there.

Jesus

I was touched by the way that grieving father reached out with love not only to others in the community who had suffered loss but also to the family of the shooter.  He was not vindictive or judgmental. He knows that God will see that justice is done.  He knows that he can put his burden on the Lord who will carry it for him.

rays

My heart goes out to all of those involved in this terrible shooting. My prayers are with them. I am shedding tears for them but at the same time I am thankful for my knowledge that God lives and life is eternal. That gives me reason to smile.

May God’s blessing be upon you.   Hugs, Lura

 

3 comments:

LeAnn said...

Lura, this was such a lovely post. I am so grateful to know that the children and adults killed are OK. They are in a beautiful place. You bore a beautiful testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I pray for them to feel the comfort of of the Spirit during these difficult times. I am so grateful for Temples and Eternal Families.
Blessings, love and hugs to you. I do hope you are feeling better and your friends also.

Cathyjo said...

A lovely post,I feel as you do,and you thankful for the gosple in my life.Take care dear frind.ooxx

Marie Rayner said...

I, too, am grateful for Temples, Eternal Families and the Gospel in my life. My heart goes out to all those affected by this latest Gun Tragedy. I will never understand the "Right to Bear Arms." But then again, our police here in the UK are not even armed, except in certain instances. A beautiful post as always. I send you much love this day and always. Take care my sweet friend, and Merry Christmas. xxoo