Sunday, September 9, 2012

Thoughts on Pain

I spent most of the day Thursday in Urgent care. I woke up early Thursday with terrible pain in my side and back. I was having a hard time breathing because it hurt so bad to take a breath. It reminded me of when I was in the hospital last year. I thought maybe I was having problems with my ribs again. I was a bit scared.

I woke John and he took me to Urgent care at Kaiser.

hospital

After x-rays and a C.T. scan ….

doc 3

….they told me that my ribs were not the problem…

doc 2

…. it was a kidney stone. This surprised me because when I had a kidney stone 2 years ago I had terrible pain but it was in my lower abdomen not up by my rib cage.

They Kept me for a few hours and gave me lots of advice

doc

After giving me a shot for pain and some pain pills….

doc 4

… they sent me home. 

I have not passed the stone yet but I am not as miserable as I was Thursday. Through prayer and pills,  I am tolerating the discomfort pretty well…. but then the stone is still in my kidney. I dread the time when it starts to move because I know from experience that brings severe pain…. even with pain pills to help.

This new round of pain has made me think about the role pain plays in my life. It seems to me that I have had a lot of it.

I’ve had 6 major surgeries and 3 minor surgeries…

I’ve had 18 broken bones….. 16 of them all at once last year…

I’ve had a collapsed lung…

I’ve had a torn Achilles tendon and planters fasciitis in both feet which put me in a boot for over a year and in a wheelchair for a few months.

I’ve been in 3 car accidents (none of them my fault) and had a couple of falls that injured my back and neck.

A child fell at the nursery school I ran at the high school and hit me in the eye which ruptured my retina. This cause me to go blind in that eye for a few months until I could have eye surgery. That was very painful.

Doctors tell me that my ribs have healed but they will always be painful.

  What have these experiences taught me????  I’ve been thinking a lot about that.

1. The pain reminds me how much I need my Heavenly Father’s help and blessing. He helps me get through what ever pain I’m having.  I could not endure all of this without His help.

beams of light

2. It has taught me that the power of prayers is real.  I have felt the strength of prayers supporting me.

Jesus

3. It has helped me love and appreciate our Savior more than ever. I do not suffer my pains willingly…… I hate pain…. I try to avoid it however I can…. But our Savior loved us so much that He willingly took all of our pains upon Himself. The more that I have suffered, the more I’m amazed at the sacrifice Jesus made for us.

4. Having terrible pain makes me more appreciate the days I just have uncomfortable pain….. Having uncomfortable pain makes me more appreciate the days that I just have a little pain.

5. Having had quite a large share of pain in my life has made me more sensitive to others who suffer. Hopefully I am better than I used to be at comforting others who need it.

6. No matter how severe physical pain can be, it is not as bad as having emotional pain. The pain I felt when our baby died, or when I’ve watched my children and grandchildren suffer, or when I thought John was dead after our car accident last year…. was much worse than any physical pain I’ve experienced.

I’m thankful that my life has been so blessed and that I’ve not had a lot of emotional pain to endure.

I’m thankful that I know my Heavenly Father is always there to help me get through the physical pain that comes my way.

He will help me get through passing this kidney stone.

I hope that you are having a good week.

Many Hugs, Grammy Lura

 

10 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

oh dear! Im so sorry all your time you have to be at hospital and your pain and all sigh!
Hope really you feel better now and this week that begin.
Send you loads of love and huggs!:)

Gloria Baker said...

This night I will pray especially for you dear Lura:)

bettyj said...

I must admit when I have pain, I don't have it "willingly", like He did. Makes me ashamed when I whine! Hope you feel better soon.And thanks for the reminder.

Jan's Blog said...

Lura...this is profound and has made me think about my own chronic pain, and how often (not always) I have taken the suffering of the Savior for granted. And YES... emotional pain is far greater than any physical pain I've ever felt. Thank you so much for this post. You've given me new perspective that will serve me well. Love you...


Mom of 12 said...

Oh, I hope you are feeling better soon!
Sandy

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I sure hope that stone has since made it's way out. I hear they are incredibly painful. I'm so sorry you are in pain.

Praying for quick healing.

Sybil said...

I think that perhaps you should be renamed the..."incredible woman"...talk about cats having nine lives !!! Do hope that the stone has made it's way along the right track by now and that you are feeling much much better..7
love and hugs xxx

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, I have been such a bad friend lately. With all of the work going on in our house and the disruption I just haven't had the time or will to do a lot of blog reading. The power was on, it was off and I had to fit in everything in between times and for some reason was exhausted at the end of every day. I don't know why. I was basically just sitting around waiting for them to finish!! I think you are a "wonder" woman, you are my example in all things. I am sorry that you have had to go through all that you have had to go through, but I applaud your example and your bravery and your faith. xxoo

joyh82 said...

Oh my..glad you are doing better. And hope that you don't get anymore of those. My dear friend has had a few and my sister too but right now I am just having back and arthritis issues. Take care of yourself!

hoLLy said...

dangit i'm reading this late:( so sorry i have been so off and on the computer lately and really just been on facebook through my phone. i'm so sorry you went through this! hope you are doing much better now!! xoxo