Monday, August 27, 2012

More Birthday smiles

birthday cake

August is a month of birthdays for us.  In our family Ellie, Marla, Ernie, David and I have August birthdays. My friends Marie, Craig, Laima, Krystal, Treva and LouAnn also have birthdays in August.  What a happy month.  We are blowing out candles and eating cake all month.

When we got home from our trip to Utah and Vegas, where I celebrated my birthday, I found more birthday surprises waiting for me. Marie had sent me lovely gifts from England. Jan had set up a birthday tea party for me. Kris had a gift waiting for me and so did LouAnn. I’m sorry that I was so busy unpacking from our trip that I didn’t get pictures….. but they made me very happy. I feel loved. Thank you all so much.

IMG_5834

A few days after we returned from Utah it was Ernie’s birthday.

IMG_5820IMG_5823

We had fun celebrating with him and his sweet family.

IMG_5831

After a dinner out, Ernie was happy to go home to open his gifts

IMG_5835

and have his special cake from Knott’s Berry Farm.

IMG_5829IMG_5830

It was a very nice evening. We are so glad they live close to us and we can share these special times with them. (I think our Mindy is a cute wife, mom and  photographer…don’t you?)

…

Our next party came the following week at our house.

IMG_8256

My sweet friend, LouAnn turned 75 while we were in Utah. I thought that accomplishment deserved a surprise party….. so I gave her one when we got home.

IMG_8257

Since it was 2 weeks after her birthday, she was really surprised.

IMG_8251IMG_8253

Our house was all decorated up festively in Hawaiian theme.

IMG_8250IMG_8252

There was lots of good food…. and of course…

IMG_5847IMG_8270

A birthday cake.

IMG_8271IMG_8272

IMG_8273IMG_8280

We had a house full of guests.  Everyone had a really good time.

IMG_8279IMG_8289

Kris and Ralph even did the hula for us….(Every birthday luau needs hula dancers.)

IMG_8274IMG_8281

My friend Ruth helped me give this party. She made the invitations, bought the cake and helped all that night with the food tables. Claire came over for 2 days to help me decorated and get ready. Mindy and EJ helped me sweep up the patios so they would look nice for the party.  Jan helped me get the house cleaned up.  I really appreciate all the good help I got giving this surprise party for LouAnn.

IMG_8283IMG_8284

It was a lovely night. I am thankful that I had the health and strength to do this for my sweet friend. She did so much to help me after the accident. Giving this party for her brought me lots of pleasure. My heart is smiling.

I hope that you are smiling too.

Hugs, Grammy Lura

PS… I took my lap top to the Geek squad today. It is very sick with a  virus.  I hope that they can fix it up without me losing too much data. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

Kris said...

Very fun celebrations Lura!!
Hope your computer can be fixed up, good as new!
Hugs,
Kris

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Lura, you sure have had some problems with your computers!! ((((hugs)))) I know how frustrating that is. I loved seeing all of the celebratory pictures. What a great bunch of ladies, we who have birthdays in August are!! We are in great company I think!! My but Ernie has gotten thin! What's his secret!!! I think you have the sweetest family, but no surprise there as you and John are the sweetest people. Acorns never fall far from the tree. Love you much. xxoo

LeAnn said...

You are such a dear and I love all the happiness you give to others. You are just a lovely person in everyway. I am so happy that you had a great Birthday celebration. Our month of August is also full of birthdays. It is getting complicated for me and I always fear I will forget one of my grandchildren's birthday. I so enjoyed all the pictures and thoughts. You are so blessed with a marvelous and loving family and friends.
Love and hugs to you dear friend!

bettyj said...

What wonderful times you have had with family and friends. The food has made me hungry!