Ten years ago today I had just turned off my alarm clock and was starting to get ready for school when a fellow teacher called me and told me to turn on the T.V. because a plane had hit one of the World Trade Center Buildings. I watched in horror as a 2nd plane hit the other building and then a few minutes later I saw them collapse into a pile of rubble.
I was thousands of miles away on the opposite coast of the USA, but I could hardly breath as I watched New Yorkers running for their lives from the billowing clouds of smoke and ash.
I did not teach that day at school. I kept the T.V. on all day watching the events that were taking place in New York City, at the Pentagon in Washington D. C. and the crash of flight 93 in Pennsylvania. My heart was broken as I saw the devastation and learned of the suffering of my fellow Americans.
I was not allowed to say verbal prayers in my classroom, but each period I asked my students observe a few minutes of silence and for those who were so inclined, to say a prayer in their hearts.
My heart was touched by the many examples of sacrifice and courage. I smile with gratitude today, 10 years later, as I think about those brave souls .
A year after 9/11/01 I visited Ground Zero. I came up out of the subway and had to walk about a block to the place where the twin towers had once stood.
The closer I got to Ground Zero, the more overcome I was with emotion.
I was unprepared by the depth of emotion that I felt. I did not personally know anyone who died on 9/11/01 but, by the time I reached that blackened hole of destruction, I was sobbing.
A teenager came up to me and handed me a white flower. She said that she was sorry for my loss. I wanted to tell her that I did not deserve a flower because I had not lost any one in the fall of the towers…. but I could not speak. All I could do was cry and nod my head in appreciation for her kindness.
At that moment I better understood the words from “No Man is an Island” that say
“No man is an island, no man stands alone.
Each man’s joy is joy to me.
Each man’s grief is my own.”
I think that good people the whole world over, cried for those who died on that terrible day and their families . Likewise, I believe that good people’s hearts all over the world were touched by the stories of heroism and courage that were told.
This weekend, at the 10th anniversary of 9/11/01, I have been watching hours of the tributes that have been made for the heroes of that awful event.
One of the most touching to me was this tribute by Tom Brokaw and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Click HERE to see Tom’s remarks.
Click this link http://mormontabernaclechoir.org/ to see the full choir tribute.
We sing “God Bless America”
God has blessed us. As President Bush said 10 years ago, evil men may rock the foundations of our largest buildings but they can not destroy the foundations of American or the American dream of freedom.
For this I have much to smile about as I think of my Sunday Smiles today.
May God be with you and bless you this week.
Hugs, Lura







9 comments:
A most wonderful post,Yes I just stood in shock and disbelevf seeing and how fast it all happen.
Sorry just writing and thinking of it gets to me still. Take Care. ((Hugs))
Beautiful post, it has been a day of reflection...
Lura: A beautiful post, and yes how that day changed our country and the world. I can hardly hold back the tears as seeing the images of those buildings destroyed. Just 6 weeks before 9/11 I was in N.Y. and when the tour bus stopped at the towers we were so tired from all day sight-seeing we decided not to tour them. We did take a river cruise while there, tho and on 9/11 the first thing I did was run for my photos we took from the river. How it united our country and I only pray our country can unite once again in happiness, not disaster. Hugs, Joy
Thanks for the reminder!
Sandy
This was a truly beautiful post Lura. I am not an American, but I, too, sorrowed with you all on that horrible day and since. Innocence died all over the world on that day. Nobody's life has ever been the same since. My heart still aches and my eyes still fill with tears when I ponder what happened and watch any of the news from that day. Ten years ago, the world changed forever. I am so grateful for the Gospel in my life and all that it teaches me. I send lots of love and hugs to you today and always! xxoo
PS enjoying our stay in Cumbria despite the rain and wind!
Lura what a beautifully written memory. We all remember that day and the ones that followed. My mind can't comprehend the pain the ones who were there lived, as miles away I felt such pain too. How are you feeling? As you know, I have had company and had a wonderful week end. Still praying. Please pray for a couple of my friends who are undergoing chemo.
betty
Lura, this was a lovely post. It brought me to tears. I love your reverant thoughts. Just like you watching all of it happen on TV was so sad. There were so many inspiring stories. I hope we all remember that day and the many who lost their lives and the many who saved other lives.
Thanks for a touching post.
Love to you!
I think even though we all weren't victims of family, we were all victims that day, and it hurt us, too! I imagine I would get very emotional, too.
ahh, i thought i commented! i had read this last week and then i think ammon woke up from a nap and i never got around to commenting-sorry lura :( anyways, beautiful beautiful post. can't believe its been ten years since that day. it was a day of sadness but you are right it changed all of us-i think for good. not that the event was good, but you know what i mean. it brought so many people together united.
and thanks for sharing that link to the tom brokaw/choir-i shared it on my blog as well!
Post a Comment