Sunday, November 14, 2010

My smiles from the Carnival Splendor


At this thanksgiving season, John and I have much to be thankful for and smile about.
On the top of our list is our testimony of Jesus Christ and our belief in His doctrines.
Then comes our thankfulness for each other and our precious family....
...Our health...
...Our home....
...Our friends....including you....
and on our list goes.
We are also thankful for the nice trips we've been able to take.
...
We LOVE cruising. It is our favorite way to travel.
I guess those who were cruising on the Carnival Splendor last week
might disagree with us.
I am sure that it was not fun being stuck out at sea with no power
for 4 days after there was a fire in the engine room.
With all the bad news the Carnival Splendor has gotten this week,
I thought you might like to take a look at her
and see what it is like to be on board.
Come on this little tour of the Splendor with me....
I promise you won't get stranded at sea.
She is a beautiful big ship that was put into service in 2008.

We 've been on her twice in the past year and plan to go on her again next fall.
She holds about 4,700 guests and crew.
Her home port is Long Beach, CA
Of course when we were on her she was sailing...
not dead in the water for 4 days as she was last week.


I am sure that had a lot to do with our enjoyment of the cruise...
(However, John is disappointed that we were not on her last week.)

We sailed along at about 20 knotts....


and thought our time on the Splendor was really splendid.

The many chefs worked hard keeping us well fed....


We had great meals at the casual buffets...

...and in the formal dinning room...

We had wonderful choices of great foods...


I can't even imagine all the good food that went bad and had to be thrown away last week.
It is so sad that the engine fire was on the morning of the first day.
If it had been later in the week, at least the guests would
have had great food the rest of the week.
They would have had a good week,
visited the ports and not so much food would have been wasted.
I am sure that we enjoyed our shrimp and lobster more than they did their Spam!
Poor cruisers...and poor Carnival.
I feel so badly for all of them.
...
Here are some pictures of the ship(and a few of us on her.)

I loved sitting on the deck working on my scrapbook.
Sometimes John gave me a hand.
Erin and Patrick often took walks with little Cal.

This is the big pool area.

They showed movies on the big out door screen by the pool.


This is the miniature golf course....

...the basketball court...

...the golf practice court...

... The walking/jogging track...

...the kiddy pool...

...the water slide...

...the indoor spa...

...the shopping mall...

...one of the lovely stair cases...

...one of the decks...



...a small pool...

...our cabin....


The Splendor has the largest cabins (220 sq. ft.) of any cruise line.

Of course we had elevators to take us up and down the many decks.
I guess that the passengers on last week's cruise got lots of exercise.


This is another of her small pools.
As you can see, the passengers on the Splendor had a nice place to stay...
even if the rest of their trip was miserable.
...
I am glad all went well on our 2 cruises on the Splendor.
However, as I mentioned before,
John says he wishes he had been on last week's cruise.
He thinks it would have been a "kick"
Oh well, to each his own.
I am glad that all of Splendor's passengers and crew
are home safe and sound.
I hope that they get her fixed up good before we sail on her again.
Have a good week.
Happy Sailing.
...
p.s. Linda from Behind my Red Door posted a wonderful
Thanksgiving post with a sweet story in it today.
Hop over and read it. You will be glad that you did.

7 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

I've never been on a cruise Lura but I know it's bound to be wonderful. I'm glad to see your pictures to remind me that you can't judge the ship by one trip. :) blessings, marlene

Marie Rayner said...

It is my dream to one day be able to go on a cruise with you and John. Oh what fun we could have, eating and playing and just being together! I can't wait for Todd to meet you both one day! What a great day that will be!! I send lots of love and hugs to you this early Monday morning. Guess who will be here later today?? Angie!! Can't wait to see her. That is another wish of mine, for the three of us to be able to spend some time together like the three musketeers! (the group not the candy bar!) Love you loads my dear friend! xxoo

Kris said...

It was fun to see your photos of the Splendor. We felt sorry for those stranded on it last week. What a paradox to be surrounded by such beauty and yet not have the most basic needs that we yearn for...hot food, electricity etc.
Thank you for the wonderful evening last night. Your home was beautiful. The food was yummy. The sociality was delightful. You are wonderful.

Sybil said...

I was so sorry to read about the poor folks on the "gone bad cruise" I felt bad that I was actually glad that it wasn't me !!Mary and I did our fist ever cruise in April/May on the Enchantment of the seas and looking at your lovley photo's I can see that one ship looks very much like another..and we aer looking forward to next Sept. when we are going sailng again this time nearer home to the Med. direct from Southampton...saving us the long flights.
Love Sybil xx

hoLLy said...

that looks like a fabulous ship!!! i wish i could go on a cruise...tomorrow:) maybe i'll dream about being on what tonight? that will have to do:)

Great-Granny Grandma said...

That Carnival Splendor looks like quite a ship. So many things to enjoy. Loved the tour, and love the picture of you and John in your formal dining room attire.

Anonymous said...

Haahahaha! I think that's great he's wishing you were on last week's trip! Personally, I'm glad you were on this one, with power! What a fun time!!