Thursday, July 22, 2010

Help....What should I do????

Dear Blog Readers,
Can you tell that I am posting this on a different computer?
Yep I am..... and not by choice.
Both my laptop and John's computer died this week.
We spent much of the day yesterday trying to get them fixed to no avail.
John's won't boot up.
They say it is the hard drive.
It is off to the repairman as we speak.
...
My computer has a different problem.
My laptop baby fell apart....literally.
The monitor screen broke off of the keyboard.
The geek squad can't fix her.
We could send her off the the hospital for repair...
which will take 2 weeks and around $200...
...or I can buy a new one from $600-$900.
(I could also take a cruise for that much money)
What should I do?
My broken laptop has all my programs, pictures and files...
but she is 5 years old...which is ancient in laptop life.
Should I invest money into fixing up my old gal???
Or should I bite the bullet and get a new one???
Or...since I am not teaching college classes anymore and don't
really have to have a laptop for power point...
...should I just wait until John's is repaired and use his?
Nah... I don't like that idea.
He is always on the computer and I would never get a turn.
So...
Should I repair my old gal... or get a new baby?
...
I will borrow someones computer to check in and see what you think.
..
Until then I am checking out of blogworld.
I will miss you.... but then I've only heard from a few of you lately...
I imagine that you are busy with summer and won't even notice I am gone.
So... until this gets resolved...bye bye
I am sending hugs,
Grammy L
PS... Welcome Home Marie... we all missed you!

9 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

A cruise lasts but a week - a laptop lasts 5 years. :) Obviously I vote for the laptop. So much of our lives revolved around a computer these days. It keeps us in touch with friends and family, it makes our lives easier and it educates us in all kinds of ways. blessings, marlene

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I vote with Marlene!!

Warm hugs, Grammee L

hoLLy said...

that stinks! :( i guess if it was me, i'd buy a new one. but not if i was going to lose a bunch of pics and important stuff....so i guess i'd fix the old one(if i didn't have those things backed up). depends...

Sybil said...

OH no poor you. these computers are great whn they go ok..but when they don't....grrrrrrrrr
If I were you...which I aint !! I would bite the bullet and get a new one...But fingers crossed that somehow you can get "stuff" out of your old friend...
PLEASE keep in touch,
Love Sybil

Christine said...

Definitely get a new laptop. You'll be amazed at how much faster it will be if your old one was 5 years old. And then start backing up off site using something like Mozy that stores all your critical files (like pictures and docs) on their server so you can restore quickly next time. When my died I was so glad I had backups of everything.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Bummer about your computer. A new one would be nice, but maybe they can fix up the old one to be like a new one while spending less money?

You are reminding me that I need to back up my files.

And, maybe could you get a second opinion on recovering your files alone without getting the computer up and running?

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I would go for the new computer. You can transfer all the stuff over from the old one, so it's not like you would be losing it.
Hugs xo

Grammy Staffy said...

Thanks one and all.... I appreciate the advise.
Hugs, Lura

Angie said...

Get a new one and find a geek (cheap if possible) to transfer all your bits and pieces. Never mind that you could get a cruise for that amount - you NEEEED that laptop ASAP. Toot sweet in fact. How old was it anyway?

If you don't mind me saying so sweeetheart, you sound so very down. I just wish I could get you back up to the surface again.

lots of love