Sunday, July 4, 2010

4th of July Smiles

Dear Blog Friends,
I hope that you are having a wonderful
4th of July.
I hope that where ever you are, you have much to smile about
even if this is not a national holiday for you.
John and I surely have lots to smile about.
We really enjoyed church today.
I love singing patriotic songs
and thanking God for this great country
we live in.
...
I always love seeing our flag flowing in the breeze.

Americans like to fly our flag that represents this county we love.
I am glad that I get to see it often as I drive around. I
t always makes me smile.

It also makes me thankful for the men and women that were

and are in our armed forces

I am thankful for the sacrifices they have made and are still making

by serving our country.

I pray for them daily.



It makes me especially happy on
this, our Independence day.










We live 3 miles from our church.
On the way home today I counted 105 flags
flying in people's yards.




Can you find 7 flags in this picture on the rt.?
There is 1 on each fence post & the garage.
(I think you will need a magnifying glass to see them)










105 flags is more than usual.
Some people put out flags just for the holiday,
but many of them fly our
star spangled banner every day.
In their yards....
their businesses...
...and on their vehicles.
...
I have our patios deck out with flags for the holiday.

Since it is Sunday we won't have a party today.
However, we celebrated yesterday and
will again tomorrow.
(Three days of celebrating the 4th.... you can't beat that.)
I'll tell you more about our "partying" on another post.

For today we are just counting our blessing
and looking forward to having a few friends come over tomorrow.

...
John fixed our broken BBQ yesterday.

We will fire it up tomorrow to BBQ and feast
on all our traditional favorites
.
...
Why don't you come on over and join us?
Just stop at the mailbox with a bow and a flag.

Walk up to our front door...

...and come on in...
No need to knock.... you will find us in the

back patios or in the pool.
...
Thanks Marie for having me as a guest poster on your blog.
I hope your readers enjoy my little offering.
...
Marie has a wonderful blog.
She posts uplifting messages everyday.
I hope that my readers visit her blog because it is the best.
...
Well everyone, have a great day and a great week.
Happy 4th to all.
Hugs, Lura

10 comments:

Erin said...

I sure wish we could blink ourselves over to your house! What a beautiful sight our dear flag is... I love it!

Today in church we sang all the verses of our national anthem and I could not hold back the tears. We are so blessed for the freedom we have and the sacrifice so many made to make that possible.

God Bless America!

Love you Mom!

Angie said...

The flying of the Union Flag over here in England is incredibly rare these days. With some part of it or other (maybe the St George cross or St Andrew's) more often to be seen wrapped around footballers' shoulders, it's become more like a fashion accessory than something to look up to.

Like Erin...if only we could think ourselves there at your house, how great that would be.

Very few English people these days even know the words to the first verse of hte National Anthem, let alone the fact that there are others! I always think it sad when, say, our football team lines up for the Anthem and most of the players are just moving their lips in time to the music because they don't know the words. It should be in the job description!

I love your guest post by the way. I wasn't sure whether to comment here or on Marie's.

It's not velveeta Pizza! said...

Your recipe on Marie's blog looks delicious, I will definitely have to try it sometime soon.
Unfortunately in the UK, the flying of our flag (even from our own home) is often frowned upon in case it could be perceived as offending someone of a different ethnic background. In the majority of cases these people have no issues with it at all but the fear of offending is what drives local councils to write warning letters to homeowners and companies telling them to remove the 'offending' article.
As Angie says the only time it is ever tolerated is when we play football, then they get stuffed into the drawer until the next world cup. I am very impressed how Americans display their flags with such pride.

Hope your 4th of July Weekend is going well

Nicole

StitchinByTheLake said...

It was a quiet day for us Lura - after church we just stayed home. Since I'm not really at home I didn't get to decorate but I did buy some red cushions and placemats for my kitchen table here. I sewed the rest of the day - very relaxing for me. :) blessings, marlene

Sybil said...

Thank you for writing Maries blog up for her what a great idea to be a her "ghost writer" !!
Just been reading your blog. I will be back...What a wonderful deckng area you have. I hope that you enjoyed your party yesterday and that the weather was kind to you. I heard on late night TV last night that it has been very hot on th eeatern side of US not sure exactly where you are though.
LOve Sybil of.
sybil-dayintheifeofsybs.blogspot.com

Elizabeth said...

Hi!

I love your July 4th post and I LOVED your guest post at Marie's blog, A Year at Oak Cottage. The story you shared was wonderful and too true. Makes me want to stop and think about that a lot. Thank you!

I am very patriotic, too. Love to see all your flag pictures.

I am hoping you have a day, today.

God bless,
Elizabeth

Laura and Ryan said...

Nothing makes my heart swell with pride more than seeing our flag waving in the front of someone's house. It makes me feel so proud that we live in country that is so free!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Hope you had a great 4th!

That's impressive that you counted so many flags. I would never think to count them (however, I don't think I would have come close to that many, either).

Hope you have a great weekend.

hoLLy said...

happy 4th of july!! i love all of your decorations-your home is beautiful. and how awesome that so many were waving their american flags. our area had a bunch too-i love to see the city decked out in red, white and blue! i am so proud to be an american.

Marie Rayner said...

What a wonderfully patriotic post Lura!! I love the American Flag and it looks like you have really decked out your place in style!! I sure wish that Todd and I could come and visit you on the 4th of July some year! What a wonderful thought! XXOO