Sunday, May 23, 2010

Smiles and a glimps of Juneau, Alaska

Hello again dear blog friends.
Thanks to all of you who wished Tom and his family well on my last post.
June will be greatly missed.
I have been gone since May 5th.
I had a group of 25 I was taking on a cruise to Alaska.
I was sad that I had to be away from family at that time
but we ended up having a nice time cruising with clients and friends.
I also missed being able to get to my computer and visit you.
I look forward to catching up now that I am home again.
...
Before I share my Alaska smiles with you, I have wonderful news.
This is my biggest of all smiles.
My dear grandson, Justin, who just graduated from his army
special training to be a medic,
got his mission call while we were in Alaska.

We are thrilled that he got his call to serve his mission before he got deployed.
The army will grant him 2 years leave since he got his call before he was deployed.
He was called to serve in Guatemala in the same area that John served in
46 years ago when he was a young missionary.
How neat is that! It is really special to John to have his grandson
going to the same area he knows and loves.
We are thankful that Justin has been called to serve the Lord
and preach His gospel.
We are thankful that this dear boy is willing to work in this missionary service for 2 years.
We know that God will bless him and keep him safe.
...

Now... here are my Alaska smiles to share with you.
On May 5th we boarded The Celebrity Mercury

It is a midsized, older ship, but she has charm and was lovely.

It took us 3 days of cruising though beautiful areas to get to
our first port which was Juneau, Alaska.

Our first excursion was to the Mendenhall Glacier.

It is really breathtaking.

It is a huge river of ice.
It is hard to tell how really big it is from this picture I took...
but it is 1/2 mile across here from side to side and 150 feet deep.
We spent about an hour and a half at the glacier
and then we went
on to our...
...Next excursion which was a Salmon Bake.
We went with our friends, Craig,
Kris and Meryse.
Meryse is our 85 year old neighbor.
She was amazing on this trip and kept right up with us.

We all enjoyed the beautiful Juneau scenery.
This waterfall is near town, just about a block off the main road .

The salmon bake was near the waterfall.
We had a lovely time...

...enjoying this delicious salmon dinner...
...being with our friends...
(
Kris, Craig and Meryse are delightful.)
and enjoying the beautiful scenery God has created for us.

You can see that we have had much to smile about.
We feel truly blessed that we could make this trip.
As I mentioned, I booked 25 on this cruise.
A number of them were in their 70's, 80's and one couple was in their 90's.
I am thankful that we were all kept safe and healthy.
I am thankful that we had this wonderful experience.
I will be sharing it with you in my next few posts.
Now I must cook dinner. Mindy and family will be here soon.
Then I will get to visit your blogs and catch up on what you've been doing.
I hope you have had lots to smile about too.
Hugs, Lura

12 comments:

Baak Talk said...

How wonderfully fun!! It was nice that Mersye got to go. Ann said she was really looking forward to it.

How exciting that your grandson gets to go where John went!! So many wonderful experiences.

hoLLy said...

first, congratulations on your grandsons call. how exciting for all of you. how especially neat for john to share the same mission with his grandson-wonderful!!! yea!

and wow, what beautiful pictures from alaska. i've never been there but it just looks amazing. i'm so jealous of all the cruising you guys do. :) looks so fun!

Jan's Blog said...

I surely have missed seeing you on your blog. I'm glad that you had such a wonderful time on your cruise, and in such good company. Love you!

TUTU Monkey said...

Looks like you had a wonderful trip!!! I hope to make it to Alaska one of these days. I got you message and will call you this week.....we have been down with colds....first Miss S and now me.

Congratulations to your grandson too!! Look forward to seeing you real soon!!

Marie Rayner said...

How wonderful to see a post from you my sweet friend!! I am so happy that Justin got his mission call in time! Whew!! I had been praying that he would! How wonderful also that he will be serving in the same area as John did! How amazing is that!!! Loved seeing the beautiful pictures of Alaska (so far, I just know you will have more!!) It always looks like you have such a wonderful time. Oh how I would love to be able to go on a cruise with you and John. One day perhaps! I have missed you my dear friend and so enjoyed our conversation last week! We are so blessed that we can stay in contact like we do. A hundred years ago it would not have been possible. I love you dearly! xxoo

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I was just talking about how much I've heard about Alaskan cruises. It looks fabulous. Glad you had such a great time!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Congratulations and best wishes to Justin! I'm glad you're home - and even though you had a wonderful time I know you're glad to be home. Your pictures are beautiful and just reinforce my "I want to go there!" blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your cruise was a lot of fun. The scenery is beautiful. Congratulations on your missionary grandson. Is Justin your oldest grandchild and first missionary? What an exciting time for you. I know of two young men who have recently been called to Guatemala, one to the Central mission and one to the South. They both enter the MTC in August. I'm glad you all made it home from your fun vacation safe and sound.

Laura and Ryan said...

I would love to go to Alaska! Your pictures are gorgeous :) That Salmon bake looks divine!

Kris said...

Thank you for all you did to make this cruise not only come about but wonderful. All the little details that you added were special. You and John are fun to travel with. Having you in my life is a gift.
Alaska is beautiful. We loved every minute.

Erin said...

Congrats to our Justin! He will be a GREAT missionary... and in the footsteps of Dad's old stompin' grounds is just so cool!

One day we will join you on a cruise to Alaska- yep, someday! Looks like you had a great time! That's awesome!

Grandma B said...

Congratulations on your grandson being called on his mission. Hope by the time he returns from his mission, the war will be a memory.

Your cruise looks great. Alaska is beautiful, isn't it. How far up did you and John go.

Have been missing you my friend. LOL