I can hardly believe that 2009 is gone and this is my first Sunday Smiles for 2010.
Again I wish you all a very happy and healthy New Year....
We traveled home from Utah yesterday.
It was a mistake to make the trip home over the New Year's weekend.
The weather cooperated and we made it all the way through Utah in record time.
However our luck changed when we got to Neveda.
However our luck changed when we got to Neveda.
It took FOREVER to get from Las Vegas to our CA home.
Much of the way we only could drive from 7 to 20 miles per hour.
We kept inching along because we wanted to be home in time to attend church today and babysit Austin.....but we won't do that again. It was a very long, hard trip.
...But...
This blog is suppose to be about smiles....not complaints...
...so...
Here are some of the things that we are still smiling about.
Much of the way we only could drive from 7 to 20 miles per hour.
We kept inching along because we wanted to be home in time to attend church today and babysit Austin.....but we won't do that again. It was a very long, hard trip.
...But...
This blog is suppose to be about smiles....not complaints...
...so...
Here are some of the things that we are still smiling about.
It is so nice that we are made to feel so welcome in all of our children's homes.That surely makes us smile. What a blessing that it.
Words can't express the joy we have when we are together with our family.Each one brings a smile to our hearts.
Wouldn't you be smiling if you were with this happy baby boy?to take Cal for his first visit with Santa .
Cal didn't know what to make of Santa but he didn't cry......and that made us smile too.
...
Getting up bright and early on Christmas morning with our grand kids made me smile.
(Notice I said me smile....I think John would have liked a couple more hours of sleep.)

This is my oldest grandson, Jordan sitting with us.
I am showing a macaroni and play dough Christmas necklace that Jordan made me.
Doesn't that make you smile? It does me.
Of course he made it for me when he was in kindergarten.... I have worn it every
Christmas morning since then and it still makes me smile.
Waking up and seeing that Santa had come made me smile.It has not been an easy year for Dathan and Lynell since they had to start a new business.
Dathan had been in construction since he graduated from college.
Starting a new property management business has been very difficult...
...but the Lord has blessed them...
...they were able to keep their new home...
..and they have made it through the year...with struggles...but they made it...
... and Santa even found his way to their house this year.
That makes all of us smile.
....
Meeting Hiroko from The Sweet Escape made us smile.
We have been wanting to meet Hiroko for some time now.
Her husband sings in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and she gave us 4, much in demand, tickets
for their Christmas concert. John and I could not go to Utah in time to use the tickets
but my girls and their husbands went and had a wonderful time.
(We were told that 4 million people requested tickets and the conference center only holds 20,000, so you can see why we were thrilled to get 4 tickets.)
THANKS AGAIN HIROKO!!!
Hiroko drove about 30 miles to meet Erin, Lynell and me for lunch.She is even more beautiful and sweet in person
than you can tell from reading her blog.
(Her blog is great, but she is even better in real life.)
Spending time with Hiroko made us all smile....
Sewing with Lonica made me smile.
I gave Loni a sewing kit for Christmas.All 4 of my little granddaughters love to sew....
...and I love helping them learn.
Loni made this darling bunny.We named her Honey Bunny because that is my nick-name for Loni.
...
Those of you who read my blog regularly know that our family
thrives on Karaoke.
We can't be together very long without getting out the karaoke machine.
We may not have the world's greatest voices ......but...
we do have the greatest time in the world singing together.
...
My son's family made us a CD of all of them singing for our gift this year.
We listened to it over and over and over on our long drive home.
(John said that was the only good part of our trip taking so long)
My family singing karaoke always makes me smile.
...
Baking with Loni made me smile.
My son's family made us a CD of all of them singing for our gift this year.
We listened to it over and over and over on our long drive home.
(John said that was the only good part of our trip taking so long)
My family singing karaoke always makes me smile.
...
Baking with Loni made me smile.
New Year's Eve we made Marie's from A Year From Oak Cottage delicious Eggnog Cake.
It turned out to be about the best cake we'd ever tasted.
Even with all the other good food we had out on New Year's Eveit was a favorite.
We all gobbled it down with smiles on our faces and in our tummies....and it made us think of our sweet friend Marie with smiles too.
...
Bringing in the New Year with family made me smile.
Here Justin is playing pool with his dad and cousin
on his last night home before returning to his army base in Texas.
Then at the stroke of midnight we made our sparkling cider toast to the new year.
We smiled as we counted the blessings that were ours in 2009...
Friday, New Year's day, we had to pack up and leave Lynell's house.
Justin had to go back to Texas that day too.A snow storm delayed his flight so we got to keep him home 3 hours longer than planned.
That made us smile.
Lynell had been in tears at the thought of him leaving earlier that day, but she was able to find her smile in time to tell her precious son goodbye.
When their family left to take Justin to the airport, John and I packed up and headed down to Erin and Patrick's home.It was nice to spend our last night in Utah with them and little Calan.
Our holiday was filled with family and smiles.
I hope that yours was too.
You blog friends also fill my heart with smiles.
I wish all of you a very....










14 comments:
Happy New Year Lura! It looks like you had a wonderful time with your cute family! I am glad you made it home alright! Have a wonderful 2010!
XOXO
Jen
PS - That eggnog cake looked delicious! I have been wanting to make that!
Oh my dear Lura. What a lovely time you had with your family over the holidays. Seeing them all again has made me so homesick for them. I just love each of them so very much. I am so happy that Lynell and Dathan have been able to make their way through the problems they had earlier this year and are now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. God is good. I am also so happy to see little Cal with his lovely mom and dad. What a dear little soul. Well worth the wait I'd say!! How wonderful that you got to meet a new friend and have lunch together! It looks like you had such a wonderful time. You are all so very beautiful, you Staffanson girls, each and every one of you! If I was only half as pretty as you guys I'd think I'd died and been exhalted!! So happy you all enjoyed the eggnog cake! It is like I got to share a little bit of your holidays with you! Am also glad you got home safe and sound. I love you my dear friend. I am wishing you, John and all the family all the very best in 2010! May your cup runneth over!!! xxoo
Meeting you and your girls made ME smile as well! In fact, it was such a boost for me that day!! Your family is so wonderful and an absolute joy to be around!
Morning Lura. Sounds ike a dreadful journey home but some wonderful memories to think on.
How long would you normally expect it to take from Utah to California? You see, the problem I have (sounds like something Colombo might say!)is we Brits can't really imagine the vastness of your country. For example if I lived right down on the south coast of England I could be at the Scottish border in about 6 hours, maybe less the way Keith drives (tee-hee).
I bet the choir concert was wonderful. I would love to have heard that (me and a few million others).
love,Angie, xx
Hi Lura...and Happy 2010 to you and John. As always, I enjoyed your post about your family and adventures.
Soon you will be embarking on another adventure to Mexico. Soak up lots of sunshine for all of us.
HAPPY AND HEALTHY 2010 TO YOU AND YOURS !!! LOL
Looks like you guys know how to party it up! All of that food was beginning to make me hungry, especially the eggnog cake (yummm). Happy New Year! May this year bring nothing but goodness and cheer your way!!!!
I hope you had a great new year!
What wonderful pictures Lura - I know you had the most memorable time. Time with our families is what life is all about. blessings, marlene
you guys sure know how to pack in the fun! i wish i could meet all of your family-they all seem so awesome(and of course they are-they are your kids and grandkids:) i love you guys and hope you have a wonderful year!
Happy New Year! I always enjoy seeing the pictures and reading about your smiles!
It looks like you have a great Christmas. Your pictures all have smiles, and love and peace.
I'm coming to Cali in February. So get out and dust off your prettiest frock...we're going to tea!!!
Love you dear friend,
Jan
Hi Lura, Looks as though a great time was had by all.
Happy new year to you.
I love Santa's outfit.
You've got such a wonderful family!
Post a Comment