Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Thankful Tuesday-Come share our joy

It is Tuesday today. We just returned home from visiting with our whole family in Utah.
I am feeling very thankful which is appropriate since...
...Fall is the season of thanksgiving.
Our family has a lot to be thankful for.
We all joined together in Utah last week to celebrate with Erin, Patrick and little Calan
Last Friday, Oct. 16th, was a very special day for our family.
Early that morning we all went to court with Erin, Patrick and Calan.
We have waited for this day to come for 6 months since little Cal was born.

It was an emotional and special occasion.
Erin and Patrick were asked what this adoption meant to them.
They were asked why they wanted to adopt little Calan.
Their hearts were so full.... and their feelings so tender.... that they could hardly speak.
There was hardly a dry eye in the court room as they told the Judge of their love for little Cal and how thankful they were to his birth mother that she would allow them to be his parents.

Patrick's parents had come from Indiana. We had come from California.
All of Erin's siblings and their families also came.
John and I were thrilled that all of our children came to celebrate with Erin and Patrick.
It was quite a sacrafice for them to come.
Mindy and family came from California. David and family came from Ohio. Lynell and family drove down from Northern Utah.
We all got there early Friday morn and waited anxiously for court to begin.

The Judge said he was pleased to declare the adoption finalized.
He wished us well....and...at last...
Calan is legally ours!
...
What a blessing!
What an answer to all of our prayers.

The Judge invited us up to take this formal group picture.

When the Judge left we all burst with excitement.
Little cousins from around the country rushed to welcome baby Cal officially to the family.

After court the adults went directly to the temple.
We joined together in the same room that Erin and Patrick were married in and
little Calan was sealed to Erin and Patrick and our family for time and all eternity.
In our religion we believe that through the power of the priesthood families can be sealed (joined) together for all time.

Families can be together forever.
Now Calan is both legally and eternally ours.

What a joy it was to be in the Holy Temple with all of our children and their spouses.
Nothing could bring John and me more joy than this.

Later Friday afternoon, Cal was blessed by his father and assisted by his grandfathers and uncles ...who all hold the priesthood.
For us a baby blessing is similar to a baby christening in other churches.
It was the third special event of the day.
...
I was not able to get to a computer to do my Sunday Six Smiles but you can believe that I was certainly smiling.
I will tell you more about the wonderful time John and I had with all of our children and grandchildren (except Justin who is at Fort Knox in basic training) at another time.
...
As you can see.... thanksgiving has come early to our family... we feel very blessed and grateful.
Hugs, Grammy Lura

14 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, this is such a wonderful post, just filled to overflowing with happiness and blessings. I am so happy that little Cal is finally Erin and Patrick's little boy forever and forever and forever! I have been praying hard for this day. How wonderful that you were able to have the whole family together to share in this great blessing! I was so happy to hear your voice on the telephone last evening. It really made my day! I miss you so much when you are not around! Love and hugs always, XXOO

Luigi said...

Very nice! I'm so happy for you and your family! So nice that you could all be together to celebrate and share this eventful time as a family!
I send my greetings from Argentina!

Tara D. said...

What a beautiful post, and how wonderful it is that Calan is finally yours forever. :) This post just really touched me, I'm so happy for all of you.

Jan's Blog said...

I'm so happy for your entire family and especially for baby Cal. It may take him some time to realize how lucky he is to come into your family...but one day he will know, and how special that will be. Love to all, Jan

Angie said...

My dear Lura........your happiness just shines through your words in this post. And if there should be any doubt, the pictures say it all! Congratulaions and love to you and to all your family.

Angie, xxx

hoLLy said...

oh this post made me teary-eyed lura. tears of joy of course! i am just so so happy for your entire family. what a blessing to have cal forever in your family. we are all so blessed to have temples to seal us to our families for eternity! and to be members of Christ's church on the earth and enjoy the blessing that come from living the gospel. congratulations to you all!

Erin said...

We feel like we are still in a dream! What a perfect day! Cal is ours forever, and we feel so incredibly blessed!

We are so thankful to our family who made such sacrifices to share our day with us!

We are so blessed!

Amandawhatever said...

Hi this is amanda cool

Laura and Ryan said...

He is such a cutie! What a blessing that it is all official!! I'm sure Erin is so excited! What a beautiful family!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Oh Lura my heart just overflowed reading this and I cried tears of joy for you all. I am babysitting for three of my grandchildren this week and one of them is 10 months old. Very close to your Calan! What a joy you are all feeling - I thank God for this blessing in your life. blessings, marlene

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, how special! What a great day you've had! Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day for you and your family, Lura. How especially wonderful that all of your children could be there. Little Calan is so cute, his hair looks a little red, like Erin's, isn't that just perfect. Remember when you were heart broken last year and now look at the miracle that has taken place. I'm so happy for all of you!

Shannon said...

Wow what a day! Court, temple and blessing- Erin must have run out of tears. Isn't there just a sigh of relief after the sealing. Court seems like a little stepping stone to the main event...when he's really really yours forever. And CA courts have never once asked us about our feelings. I don't know if I could get through that, the day is already stressfull but to have to talk about it too. Wowza. Tell that Erin of yours I just love her.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Good morning Lura! I am so sorry I missed this post on your very special day. I remember the heartbreak Erin and Patrick (and you all) faced before Calan and it is so heartwarming to see that he is now legally and eternally yours. As compassionate and caring as I believe I am, I don't think I could fully appreciate what this means to you until we had our own grandbaby. My heart swells with happiness for Erin and Patrick and the rest of the family!!

And as always, your Sunday six is delightful. Family is what it is all about. How blessed you are to have such a large one !!

Thanks for stopping by and making me smile again!!