Sunday, October 4, 2009

Sunday Six Smiles

I feel so blessed today.
So full of smiles as I count my blessings
and thank my Heavenly Father for all that He has given me.
...
1. Modern technology makes me smile.
We have been uplifted by watching the 179th Semiannual General conference of our church.
It takes place in the conference center in Salt Lake City....
...but through modern technology conference is broadcast all over the world.
What a blessing to be able to sit in the comfort of my home and be a part
of these inspirational meetings.
I just finish watching the Sunday Morning Session.... and I am smiling.
2. The General Conference Messages make me smile.
During the 2 sessions yesterday and in this mornings session we got to hear from many of our leaders and all three of the first presidency of our church, Pres. Monson, Pres. Eyring andPres. Uchtdorf. (Pictured above)
My heart has been touch. My soul has been edified.
Our dear prophet, Pres. Monson, reminded us that when we are in the service of our fellowmen we are in the service of our God.
My resolve to love and serve my fellowman has been increased.
There is one more session we get to listen to this afternoon.
I am sad that it will soon be over. I eat up their words and counsel.
I can't get enough of it.
...
If you would like to watch it, I gave the link to broadcast information in my last post.
...
3. Talking to Angie and Marie makes me smile.
My dear blog friends, Marie and Angie in England are visiting each other today. They have know each other for several years but this is the first time they have met in person. I just love them both so when I learned they were together today I just had to call and be a small part of their party. It was so fun visiting with them. They are both delightful. How I wish I could hop over the pond and join them at Oak Cottage but since I can't ,I am smiling that I could have a nice phone visit.
...

4. Primary Sunday Programs make me smile.

For the past couple of weeks primary children all over the world have given their Sacrament Meeting Programs .
Every child gets a small speaking part and they sing several songs during the program.
...
To see these precious children, from ages 3 to 11, get up and speak on the microphone in front of the whole congregation.... and to hear their sweet voices singing songs of worship and praise, is so touching. It is amazing how even the little ones do their part... and sit reverently in the choir seats for over an hour during the program.
...
Last Sunday I got to go Mindy and Ernie's ward (congregation) and watch E.j., Claire and Austin take part in their primary program.
They did a wonderful job. They said their parts and sang the songs. Claire also sang a beautiful solo and a trio number.
I was proud of them and all of the children.
You can be sure that I was smiling.
...
5. Fall time and apples make me smile.

Our weather has been cooler...in the 70's and 80's with only a few 90+'s days thrown in.
It feels like fall.
Our apple trees are loaded full of apples.
We have picked hundreds of them.
John gave away a whole wheelbarrow full of them that we picked just before I got too sick with kidney stones to can them. I was glad that we could share and not waste them.
Then this week, we picked a bunch more.
I canned 18 quarts of apples.

The aromas of canning apples, apple pies baking and apple muffins have filled our home.
That makes both my nose and my tummy smile....and John's too.
...
6. My grandson soldier, Justin makes me smile
Justin is a wonderful young man. As many of you know, he is now at Fort Knox, Ky going to basic training. This has been a very difficult experience but Justin has done well.
He says that his prayers and love from family and friends has supported him.
He will graduate from basic training on Oct. 22 and move on to specialized training to become a medic.
I miss my sweet Justin.
I cringe when I read of some of the experiences he has had to endure...
...but I am so proud of him and his desire to serve his country.
I love my Justin and pray for him every day... as I pray for all of our service men and women.
...
My face is sore from smiling.
I hope that you are smiling too.
Have a great week.
Hugs, Lura

7 comments:

Jan's Blog said...

Lura, what a wonderful post. I'm so glad that you are smiling so much it hurts. I think eating pie might make you feel better. How sad I am to know that were it not for ill health I would be in California now. I miss you so!

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Lura, now I am smiling so much it hurts!! What a wonderful list of smiles and I was so happy that you could be a part of Angie and my visit, even in a small way! I am serious about us all getting together and having a real girlie vacation with each other!!! Oh what fun we will have!!! I am so sad that I only got to watch one of the Conference sessions this past weekend, the first one. We will have to catch up with the others later, maybe tommorrow or this afternoon on my break. The Saturday afternoon session isn't on here until 11 in the evening and we are always too tired to listen and watch then and yesterday we couldn't get it to come through on our computer at all. I expect there were too many people trying to access it at the time. We got it, but it was in French and it kept buffering so it was no good to watch. I can't wait to hear all the talks. Justin looks so very handsome in his uniform. My baby leaves for bootcamp on the 31st of October. We will both have two soldiers to pray for then. May God keep them safe and in His care. Love the Primary presentation every year, and it must be so much more special when it's your own grandkids!! How lovely and I am love, LOVE, LOVING your apples!! Yumm Yumm!! I send love and hugs and a huge I MISS YOU!!! Why, oh why can't we just live in the same town? XXOO

Rita said...

Hi,
I really enjoyed discovering your Blog; I'm new at this and trying to learn.First line I read was that your daughter in law talked you into Bloggging; That is what my daughter in law suggested to me this summer so i'm trying.
Love anything that makes me smile;thanks
That pie looks so good.
Happy cooking,
Rita/Sage

Angie said...

Is that really a picture of you speaking with me yesterday? You know I was so thrilled. Keith was too. He never thought to get such a wslcome from people he's never met! Now he knows why we love blogging. I'm with Marie here: one of thes fine days we WILL have a riotous nattering marathon - in person!

love Angie, xx

Grandma B said...

Did you hear the news!!! A new temple will be build in our community !!! Now we are wondering where....

Your Justin looks so proud..and serving his country is so special...blessed are those that serve their country.

You look good in your picture after having been so terribly sick with the "stones"...stones, stones, go away, and DON'T come again another day...

LOL

Tara D. said...

I always looked forward to Primary programs (not when I had to participate in them,though, lol). It's impossible not to feel the spirit there. And that apple pie, canned apples, apple muffins look delicious! If only I had some apple trees...

hoLLy said...

what a wonderful list of smiles! claire, ej and austin look smashing all dolled up in their sunday clothes. and i'm sure their parts/music were just perfect! our girls program is in a couple of weeks-i can't wait to see them. primary program sundays are the best!