Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Six Reasons to Smile & One Reason to Frown

It seems that I hardly have time to turn around before it is Sunday again and time for my Sunday Six reasons to smile.... but before I list them I have a blog friend who is really sad. I told you about Plaid last week. Her last post is called "Isolated". She is heavy with grief from the loss of two of her wee babies.... she doesn't understand why God didn't step in and help the doctors save them.... she doen't understand why she hasn't had more support from real friends or blog friends. Please.... Please take a minute to go to her blog and give her love..... like several of you did last week. She really needs it and that would make me smile.
This is my Sunday Six for this week:
I like Sundays. Sundays make me smile.
I like going to church and recharging my spiritual batteries.
I like singing the hymns.
I like partaking of the sacrament and renewing the covenants I made when I was baptized.
I like meeting with my church friends.... they are like a second family to me.
I like having dinner with my daughter Mindy and her family every Sunday.
I like writing my blog and thinking of the things I've smiled about during the week.
I like reading your blogs and getting comments from you.
I like Sundays. They make me smile.

Being retired with my John makes me smile.


When my friends learned that John and I were both retiring at the same time some of them warned me that I would probably be bored to death and John would drive me crazy being under foot all day long.
Boy were they wrong!!!
Retirement is like living in a fairy tale.
It is like a dream come true....
and we are far from bored.... in fact we are so busy that I don't know how we ever managed to fit teaching careers into our schedules.
John and I are having so much fun.
We get up when we want.... After years of getting up before dawn and being to school by 7:25a.m. ...we turned off the alarm clock and wake up around 8:30a.m. or even later!!!
Every time I look at the clock I smile....for the first time ever, my time is my own....
I am no longer ruled by the bell and I love it.

It is wonderful being able to travel any time we want.

We love visiting with family and friends.

We don't have the income that we used to but we have freedom that we have never had before.

It is great. Freedom makes me smile.

Our Prius makes me smile.

Glen Beck is always making fun of Prius owners.

I just smile..... because I love our Prius.

I love the keyless entry and ignition.

I love the GPS.

I love the back up camera and leather seats.

I love the 6 CD stereo system.

I love getting 44 or more miles per gallon. I love our Prius!

Reading to my grandchildren makes me smile

I take Austin to the library each week and he picks out books for us to read together.
We also take the Friend Magazine which is put out by our church.
It is full of good stories that teach about morals, values, family and Jesus.

As you can see from this picture, my grandchildren are always excited and enthralled when I read to them and eagerly absorb every word. (hee hee)

Celebrating with Austin for his Birthday makes me smile.

We just had a small family party for Austin's birthday....
but he could not have been more please.

Being an avid Thomas the Tank Engine fan, Mindy knew that making him a Thomas cake would make him happy.

I mentioned last week about how thankful we are to live close to Mindy and her family.
We adore all of our grandchildren.
We wish we lived close to all of them..... but since we can't do that.... we really appreciate having this sweet family close to us.

Austin was delighted with each gift and we were delighted being there with him.

Luckily we had Grampy there to get the toys out of the boxes.

It took forever to get the toys out of the packaging.
Oh well, that did not make me smile but having John there to open them did.
Now....after all of that smiling.... this is what I am frowning about.
My computer has gone haywire.
I loaded a web cam and it's drivers on it yesterday.
It worked great until I tried to use it today.
It took me 22 minutes to log on and go to Oak Cottage to visit Marie this morning.
Tonight it won't even do that. It won't let me visit anyone!!!!
It will eventually bring up my google reader but it won't scroll down or let me click on any of your blogs to read or comment.
I am sad. I want to visit your blogs and say hello.
I hope we can figure out what is wrong and fix it soon.
Do any of you have suggestions for fixing it?

Other than my lap top being difficult tonight, I have had many things to smile about and I am thankful.
My life is rich and full. I am grateful for these and the many other blessings that the Lord has given me.
I hope that you have a happy and blessed week ahead and I hope I can visit you soon.
Love, Lura

20 comments:

Jan's Blog said...

What a lovely Sunday Six. I love going to church too. I sat in church this morning thinking about your and Kris and all my friends in California. There is an hour time difference between here and there so I was calculating that time when we were all in Sacrament Meeting at the same time. It made me smile.

And I too smile when celebrating the birthdays of the little ones. Darien is 3 years old today and we had a party for her yesterday that was both very fun and exciting and also exhausting, but it sure made me smile.

Lura, you make me smile 7 days a week. Can't wait to see you soon.

Love you,
Jan

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Lura - great Sunday six!!! My in-laws retired a couple of years ago and they love going everywhere together. I think they are having a blast. It sounds like you two are too!

Cute pictures!

XOXO
Jen

hoLLy said...

i love how much you and john adore and love each other. its so sweet-i wish every couple could be this way. sounds like retirement is definitely teh good life! how nice to not have to work anymore and to get to travel together and have fun! you deserve it!

and happy birthday cutie pie austin! looks like you had an awesome thomas party! i think family parties are the most fun.

hope you are doing well lura! have a great week!

Kris said...

I like YOU!
You make me smile.
Even though we only get to spend moments together at church I love those moments.
I love it when you raise your hand in Sunday School because I know what you will say will be wonderful.
It is wonderful that you are enjoying retirement, Mindy's darling family and your Farmer John. Let's get together!
Oh, we are still enjoying the citrus we picked from your orchard. Yum and Thanks.
Hope your computer works soon. I know a computer whiz who might help you....oh, you are married to him!

Marie Rayner said...

Like the others, YOU make me smile too!! I love visiting your page Lura and my face lights up everytime I see a new post from you! Reading your words is almost as good as having a "real" visit with you. Oh how I wish we lived close enough to be able to visit in real time, often! I miss you, my sweet friend!! Ohh, sorry to hear about your computer woes!! I hope you can get it sorted soon, soon, SOONEST! There is nothing more frustrating!!! I loved seeing the pictures of John and yourself. You are such wonderful people and I feel so blessed to have you both in my life. Oh, that car of yours, is fantastic. I keep telling Todd about it. It is truly an amazing car! I can't wait to have the chance to talk to you on Tuesday. I am so looking foward to it! Love you much my dear friend, love you much! XXOO

Kris said...

I've looked 3 times for that link you wanted me to go to...can't find it.

Grandma B said...

What a fun time you and John are having. Ned and I used to do so many things, now his illness has slowed us down a little bit. We now just find other things that make us happy. Love the pics of you and John. LOVE IS ETERNAL isn't it !!!

We had another grandson get married this past weekend. The wedding was lovely and so was the reception. They are a cute couple.

Finally figured out how to get into the webstie for our granddaughter serving in the Berlin German mission. It's so much fun keeping up with them. This age of computers is the very best.

LOL

Sheryl said...

Lura girl, isn’t it great when we have things that make us smile. Church, grandkids, fabulous hubbies, just to name a few! It is great.

The Blonde Duck said...

You and John are so cute! You're an inspiration to Ben and I. We get so tired of hearing about couples that hate each other. I hope we're half as happy as ya'll when we retire in 50-60 years!

Tara D. said...

You two are the the sweetest couple! So perfect together. I hope my retirement (one day maybe) is as wonderful as yours is now. And happy birthday to your little Austin, he's so cute! :) Take care

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Off to visit Plaid!

And, while Glen Beck makes fun of the Prius, Sean Hannity talks about his all the time, maybe you are an hour early or an hour late!

Anonymous said...

I love your Sunday six! I think you both epitomize what a true eternal friendship is! Also, love the train cake!

Baak Talk said...

I am grateful for many of the first things you listed and look forward to being grateful to the end thing.. retirement and grandchildren! I can see the beauty of it all.

Tell John I said "hello".

Rebecca

Lynell said...

Wow! I can't believe Austin is 4 years old. What a fun party. Wish we could have been there. Glad to hear that dad is doing okay. We sure love you both. Have a happy day!

Tricia said...

Sundays are great for me too! I usually get to hand off my little one to my sister and I get to REST!

Good to know not everyone is miserable when their spouse is putsing around the house all day, HAHA!

Have a great week!

Patty said...

I love to read your Sunday Six! You are blessed with a wonderful husband, children and grandchildren. Thanks for sharing with us!

The Blonde Duck said...

Poor Samantha has a long journey ahead of her! :)

Erin said...

Hi mom,

I wish we could have been there for Austin's birthday. Goodness, he is growing up so fast! What a cutie!

I am so happy you and dad are finally retired... you have worked so hard for so many years, you TOTALLY deserve the retired life!

Love you!

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh Lura - another wonderful post that made me smile. I too look forward to DH retiring so we can do more together. I want us to be like you and your DH!!

So sorry about your computer. I hope you solve the problem soon!

hugs, Linda

plaidspolitics said...

Retirement sounds blissful! I am sure those parents of the high school kids where you taught are missing you, though! I hope you got your computer issues resolved. And the Thomas cake is so sweet! We have some Thomas fans here, too, so that sure makes us smile. :)