Sunday, March 22, 2009

This week's reasons to smile

Dear Blog Friends,
Perhaps you've noticed that I haven't been doing much blogging lately. Part of the reason is my computer is being difficult and is barely creeping along. I hope that my clever son-in-law, Patrick will be able to fix it the next time we get together....but that may not be for a while. The other reason is I've hit a blogger's block. After reading several blogs of late that have been so touching and heart rendering about the loss of loved ones , serious accidents, illnesses, etc I have felt that anything I have to blog about is trite or frivolous and not very note worthy.
I was discussing this with the Queen of Blog, Marie this week.
I asked her how she can post every day?
She said that "I write because I can't not write".
I have thought a lot about that.
Marie writes because she sees little miracles happening every day and beauty all around her. She works at a hard and difficult job but she finds the joy in it.
She looks for the goodness in her life and can't wait to share it with us in blogland.
My life is also filled with good things.
My cup runnith over with blessings.
My family and friends including you, my blog friends, fill my life with joy and love.
How can I not write about such blessings!!!
Writing about my simple life and doings can not compare with other blogs I read,
but it is my life and I am grateful for it.
I will continue to post about my little world even if it may seem to you to be uneventful.
Writing about these things is my way of sharing my smiles with you and thanking my Heavenly Father for the blessings He gives me each day.
Leprechauns and Rainbows make me smile.

Leprechauns came to my house again this year. They have been dropping by in March for as long as I can remember and doing Leprechaunish mischief. They didn't do as many silly things this year as they used to do when our children were small but they still had fun. They took my dough out of the breadmaker and marbled it with green food coloring. Then they hid it in the oven and let it rise way over the pan until it looked like a giant mushroom. I thought it was still in the bread maker and was surprised when I found a green and white mushroom loaf in my oven. They also turned our applesauce and lemonade green. (They used to turn our milk and pancakes green but when the kids left John told them not to continue with that mischief any more.)

They took down the valentine decorations and put up Shamrocks on our holiday tree.
Then they painted us a rainbow. It filled the sky as we drove to church this morning. They didn't remember to leave a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow but I felt rich just looking at the sky. We need rain so badly in our drought ridden area. What a blessing to get a little rain to water our parched land.

St. Patrick's Day Dinner makes me smile.

The Leprechauns also did a really nice job of setting the table for our St. Pat's dinner.

We had the traditional corn beef and cabbage etc., etc.
We usually only can find corn beef in our markets in March so we only have it once a year..... but when we do.... we really enjoy it..... first as dinner and then in sandwiches (on mushroom bread with green spots.
Yum Yum!!!
Of course it wouldn't be any fun to have St. Patrick's Day dinner without sweet family to share it with.
My family has been putting up with the Leprechauns coming for years and always smile at the silly things they do.

Sewing for my grandchildren makes me smile.

(Warning.... don't look at this Loni if you want to be surprised.)




It always makes me happy that I can take some material and a pattern and with a little work and time, turn it into a pretty dress my grand-daughters can wear and enjoy.



I like being creative with piping, lace, sequins and pearls.

I guess that sewing is one of the few talents I have.


Lonica's 10th birthday is coming up.
I have always called her my Honey Bunny and made her Birthday/Easter dresses
since she is my Easter girl.

She picked out this pattern and the fabric when they were visiting at Christmas.

I am excited to send it to her. I know she will like it.
I will make more for the other girls as time allows.

I know that they are growing fast..... The time is coming that they will not want homemade dresses made by Grammy.... but for now they do....
and that makes me smile.

Louann makes me smile.

Louann has been cutting and styling my hair for over 20 years.
She can take my wild thick mop of hair and tame it.

She has become my dear friend.
She is a wonderful person.... she is my personal therapist.
I love Louann.
Whether I am happy or sad I always feel better after a visit to Louann.
Doesn't just looking at her sweet face make you smile?
(My only worry is she is talking about retiring..... then who will tame my mop???)

Little League and EJ make me smile.

Well it is baseball season again.
Unfortunately, EJ got traded by the Angels.

However, he was the first draft pick of the White Sox.

He and his team are ready to knock-m-out of the park.

Don't they look so cute in their uniforms!!! (Even though I like the Angel's uniform
from last year better.... shhh... don't tell EJ.


Here is he up at bat. He is a slugger.

He got a base run and drove 2 boys in for a score.
Last week in his first game is got a homer.

Way to do EJ!!!! You make your grammy smile.
He just got me to post these pictures on his blog.
He would love it if you would go to his blog, Baseball Kid and say hi. Thanks

...


I am thankful that I have these things to smile about.
I never take them for granted.

Life is fragile.... it can change in the blink of an eye.

Each day is a precious gift from God.

Let us all notice, appreciate and give thanks for the many reasons we have to smile.


Love, Grammy Lura

24 comments:

Tricia said...

Awesome reasons to smile this week! I love green so St Patrick's is one of my faves. I love LOVE that dress, Loni sure is lucky! Rainbows and haircuts make me feel better too!

♥ Tricia

Luigi said...

Hi Lura,
I'm glad to hear that you still have reasons to smile...isn't life a wonderful gift?
Luis

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I love that you do up St. Patty's day so much! You make it fun:)

You've reminded me that my mop needs some serious taming!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Lura! Great list!!! That St. Patrick's Day dinner looks delicious. We had a big church dinner that night that I was in charge of so I had to leave my family at home. Jeff made them green eggs and ham.

Do you work at the temple? If you do, or know someone who does, I would really love it if you could put a name in for me. Savannah Evans. She is my next door neighbor's daughter. She is best friends with my daughter. On Tuesday she had a brain tumor taken out. On Thursday they found out it is stage 3 brain cancer. They could not get the entire tumor out because it was wrapped around the stem of her brain. She is the cutest, sweetest little 7 year old. She needs all of the prayers she can get.

Thanks so much!!!

XOXO
Jen

Erin said...

I always loved the green dinners we got on St. Patty's day!

EJ is quite the slugger! What a kid!

I love your reasons to smile mom, they make me smile too! I feel the same as you about posting lately- but looking for reasons to smile is always a blessing!

Love you!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I am new to the blog world.
So glad that I found your blog! This is my first party. I am in the process of introducing each of my family members in my blog.
Will be back later to read more.

Come by and sign up for my very First Blog give way. A great gift....the best seller in my gift basket business for the past 15 years.
Teresa

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Lura, seeing a post from you really makes my heart sing. You are never boring, ever. Trust me. I speak the truth! Oh, how I have smiled and giggled reading this post from you. What a delightful person you are and how very blessed I am to be able to call you friend! How I would love to have your leprechaun visit me over here sometime and do some green mischief to my home! I did make the kids green mashed potatoes when they were growing up, but I was nowhere near as inventive as you are! We can't get corned beef over here at all, sadly, but I can dream! Well, we do get the tinned stuff, which is not the same at any rate, but the Brit's love it! Oh, how wonderful to be able to call you my friend. I love your thick and unruly mop!! You have beautiful hair and a magic smile! I truly treasure you, I do!! I hope you have a lovely time at your friend Sil's this week! I shall miss you, but am so glad that you are having the chance to get away for a couple of days and spend time with your good friend and I know you will be a great help to her and her sister. How could you not be!! I Love you my sweet friend, I truly do. XXOO

The Blonde Duck said...

That dress is gorgeous! I'd enjoy twirling around in it.

Let me tell you, if you've got a good stylist, you don't need a therapist.

Tara D. said...

I think it's so neat how you have a St. Patty's Day traditional meal and such (loved the tree, too). We never really did anything for that day, except wear green. ;) The dinner looked delicious! And what a beautiful rainbow that was. I just love rainbows, too bad we didn't get one that day. :( And you're so talented, you did such an awesome job on the dress you made for your Lonica. Way to go EJ, you did awesome on your first game this season. Keep it up!!!

Angie said...

Hey now, never mind Blogger's Block - that's my excuse. We've been spoilt by always having Marie to read, and long may it be so. Personally I think I've been spoilt by having Marie every day and Lura and umpteen others lots of days. For goodness sake, how would I keep up if you wrote every day?

But Lura, never never think that what you write is any less interesting thsn another's. OK? Consider yourself told off!

love, Angie, xx

hoLLy said...

you got a rainbow! lucky! thats so cool. i love your st. patrick's day feast-it looked so yum and i love all the green!

i also love the new "do" :) its nice you have found a hairdresser you love and know. i have never found that! i go to different people all the time and haven't found the "perfect fit" yet. of course we keep moving and that also makes it hard:)

and you have made a beautiful dress-loni will love it! gorgeous.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I am so glad you will continue to share your life with us. Nothing is trivial if it is part of your life and your days. We all blog for different reasons and in different ways. Real life is hard and people get sick and die, are killed in the line of duty, loose their homes and livlihoods and so much more. Blogging is a great escape from all of that for many of us. We enjoy the normal things in life, evwen if they seem trivial to some. So do keep on sharing with us!! I know I miss you when you aren't posting.

hugs, Linda

Sheryl said...

Oh so fun to have a holiday with Lura! You are so fun and uplifting, more than you know!

Kris said...

I just realized that I read your blog yesterday and never commented-shame on me.
As always your blog post is amazing. I can't believe all that you did to make St. Patrick's day special. Even a tree!
Hey, I didn't see the rainbow. Is that because you were driving to the WRONG church building?
I am glad you found the right one so we could sit together.
Did you get Claire's dress done?

Anonymous said...

Hi Lura, I enjoyed reading your Sunday Six. Your St. Patty's Day table looks so cute, what a fun tradition. Hey, is that LouAnn McPhie? It looks like her, I think. She and I worked together is some way years ago, I can't really remember, I do remember that she was very sweet and I really liked her. Loni's dress is cute, a pretty color, she will love it I'm sure. Sorry about your computer troubles, nothing can cause me more anxiety, I hope you get it all fixed soon. Have another blessed week.

Amandawhatever said...

This is Amanda. I miss you and um on my gmail i am beable to chat with my cousin tyson he is 8. I am glad to hear that you still have reasons to smile isn't life a wonderful gift from heaven Lovew amanda

Grandma B said...

I was so happy to see your post today.....

Love your St. Patty's day adventures. When my kids were small I used to overdo the green also. But then, it's only once a year and such a good, fun holiday. About the only way we celebrate is with my 3 green carnations !! A tradition carried over from my Mom and Dad. We did have corned beef and cabbage, with carrots and potatos....it was yummy !!!

The dress is beautiful Lura. You are soooo talented.

Hair cuts are a god-send, aren't they. I always call it "getting my ears lowered" !!!

Have a good week.....LOL Pat

Patty said...

You are so creative and festive! I always love reading your reasons to smile. You have been very blessed!!

Shauna said...

Great Post! Thanks for sharing :)

Sheba's Mommy said...

Hi Lura! Thanks for the comment on my blog! Heidi can come over next week, we will look forward to seeing her. We'll get the details from ya soon. We won't be having YW this Sunday, will we? I mean since they are in the mountains?? Thanks for looking into that PP for me, I will look forward to starting on it! I need something positive to focus on. I love you! See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Online Pharmacy for Cialis, Levitra, Tamiflu, Viagra. Get Cheap Drugs online. Buy Pills Central.
[url=http://buypillscentral.com/buy-generic-viagra-online.html]Discount Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, Tamiflu Pharmacy No prescription[/url]. prescription generic drugs. Cheapest pills pharmacy

Anonymous said...

Today it's more difficult to safe keeping remarkable medical companies generic Viagra Online, singularly those who proximate their meds online.

Anonymous said...

I should email my girlfriend about this.

Anonymous said...

Good Afternoon!!! grammysnews.blogspot.com is one of the most outstanding informational websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. Keep it that way.