I am posting my Sunday Six a day early because tomorrow I have church from 9 to 12 a.m., a luncheon open house to attend at a friend's home 25 miles away from 1-3 p.m., dinner at my house with Mindy and family from 5-7 p.m. and then I have little Austin and will be watching "Thomas the Tank Engine", reading stories and cuddling with him until bed time. I could post my Sunday Six after he goes to bed at 9 p.m. but I when I lie down him to get him to sleep I often fall asleep too...so there you have it....Can you see why I am posting today?...
As you all know we had a wonderful time with all of our kids visiting for the holidays. I had so much to smile about that I couldn't post it all last week. So...the Sunday Six blog rules say that when you have too much to smile about in one week you can carry it over to the next week... or...for as long as you need...(of course I made that up...but it works for me.)
...
Here I go: Our silly traditions make me smile
1. Grampy and Lonica's Buttermilk tradition makes me cringe...uhh...smile
...
Actually my mom loved buttermilk. That is one of the few things in life we ever disagreed on. One time in a restaurant when I was about 12 she switched her buttermilk class with my milk class when I wasn't looking to play a joke on me. I took a big gulp and threw up on the table....I guess the joke was on her!... but I digress...
Little Loni and my John love buttermilk.
Since no one else in the family can stand the stuff they always make a big ceremony of having a buttermilk toast every time they get together.
Grampy and his buttermilk girl make us all smile and shudder at the same time.
...
2. Our lizard hunt tradition makes me smile.
We live on an acre up on a bluff with a river behind us. With so much wilderness land around us we get lots of critters in our yard....some I like more than others. We have 2 resident snakes that have been with us for years. They have gotten really big...the last one we saw sunning himself in our patio is 7 or 8 feet long. They are harmless and only come down around the house occasionally....I hate them.. but John says they help get rid of a lot of the rodents that also make themselves at home in our yard.... but again... I digress...
...
We also have hundreds of lizards... some are tiny...some are big.
I like the lizards.
Some are quite friendly and poke a head up to say hello to me when I go out to water or weed my garden. They love to sun themselves in the patio and around the orchard and garden.
Every time our grandchildren visit we have a Lizard hunt. Each kid runs around seeing how many lizards they can catch. After catching them, putting them in boxes, counting them and declaring which child is our champion lizard hunter....the children take the lizards back to the place they found them and let them go. I often wonder if they deliver the right lizard back to it's rightful home or if they get them mixed up. However the children assure me that they have named each one and know exactly where it lives and they take each one back to it's proper place to release it..... that works for me and the lizards don't complain.
...
3. Our jacuzzi tradition makes me smile.

No matter what the season or the weather when the kids come we fire up the jacuzzi and they play in it day and night. In Dec. a few of the braver souls even jump in the cold pool....but not me...brrr. (After all it was only 72 degrees outside ..which is cold for us spoiled Californians) Most of us stay in the nice hot jacuzzi and have lots of fun.
Grampy adds soap to the jacuzzi and we play in the suds. This is the only kind of "White Christmas" that we can get around here.
For as long as I can remember, I have made Turkey soup to eat the day after we roast a turkey. I put all of the turkey bones into a soup pot and simmer them with seasonings and veggies for hours to make a good broth. I then strain the broth, pull all of the turkey meat off of the bones and add carrots, peas, corn, celery and noodles and we have a "souper super". The simmering broth fills the house with the smell of turkey and makes us wait in anticipation for it to be ready....just like it did the day before when we were roasting the turkey in the oven. It is an inexpensive dinner, warm ,yummy and suits our tummy just right. It is a fun tradition that my whole family seems to enjoy and look forward to.
...
...
2. Our lizard hunt tradition makes me smile.
...
We also have hundreds of lizards... some are tiny...some are big.
I like the lizards.
Some are quite friendly and poke a head up to say hello to me when I go out to water or weed my garden. They love to sun themselves in the patio and around the orchard and garden.
...
3. Our jacuzzi tradition makes me smile.
No matter what the season or the weather when the kids come we fire up the jacuzzi and they play in it day and night. In Dec. a few of the braver souls even jump in the cold pool....but not me...brrr. (After all it was only 72 degrees outside ..which is cold for us spoiled Californians) Most of us stay in the nice hot jacuzzi and have lots of fun.
No??? Oh well...
...
4. Our turkey bone soup tradition makes me smile.
...
4. Our turkey bone soup tradition makes me smile.
...
5. I love the tradition of music in our family.
I've told you before about how much we enjoy singing karaoke. This is always fun and we spend hours singing and dancing around and being silly...
Mindy plays the flute beautifully. I am in heaven when I get to watch her perform as I did several times over the holidays.
Claire is taking voice and piano. She is called on quite often to sing solos at church or in other programs. In this picture she is singing at a Christmas program that was held at a local Baptist church .
I also love hearing the piano being played throughout the day by various family members. Marla would sit and fill our home with music quite often during their visit.
and so would Claire
and Emma


...but...
...the music I love the most is the more serious kind our family makes. Except for me, the whole family is very musical. Mindy and Ernie both have BAs in music education. Ernie has his Masters in conducting. Most of the family members play one or more instruments and sing well. (I am the only exception... I used to enjoy playing guitar and singing but my voice is gone and I almost never do it any more....)
I also love hearing the piano being played throughout the day by various family members. Marla would sit and fill our home with music quite often during their visit.and so would Jalen but I didn't get a picture of him.
Justin didn't play for us this time and neither did Patrick, but they should have...
Erin and Emma played us duets.
I love listening to my children and grandchildren make music. It always puts a smile on my face.
...
6. Our Gingerbread tradition makes me smile.
6. Our Gingerbread tradition makes me smile.
About five years ago I spent the whole year making gingerbread quilts for each of my children that had children. I embroidered, quilted and painted each square and they turned out really cute. In fact one got first place in our local fair. That is how I became the "Gingerbread Grammy". Each year since then I have made or bought each family a gingerbread gift. One year I made matching gingerbread pillows.....the next year I made gingerbread Christmas tree skirts....etc. etc.

This year I gave them gingerbread candles with gingerbread candy corn. Of course I gave it to them with a dish of Marie's delicious sticky gingerbread....but I will tell you about that on my next post.
...
All these traditions warm my heart and make me smile. What are some of the traditions that you have in your family? I would love to hear about them.
...
By the way, if you read my blog will you please sign up on my followers list at the top of my sidebar. That would make me smile too.
...
Have a good week. Love, Grammy







23 comments:
Awww I love all those sweet things! What fun you have with your family!
You have so many wonderful family traditions! Your family is beautiful and talented. Thanks for sharing them with us!!
This is Amanda that is fun. I wish i was there. Lonica likes butter milk i a little do. Well see ya love Amanda. p.s. are you coming to the recidel on tusday luv ya love amanda
I just love all of your traditions, and yes, I totally understand why you are doing your Sunday Six on Saturday. This has been a good lesson to me to make more traditions with Darien that can be carried on when I am gone. Thanks for the wonderful example.
I loved reading this post and looking at the pictures of all your beautiful and talented grandkids. What a blessing to be surrounded by music and smiling faces.
That turkey soup sounds very yummy. I'll have to try it someday when I can get a hold of some turkey bones. LOL
Man, what a fun post. I have to say though... my piano playing days has been deminished to heart and soul... so sad! I can only sight read the top hand. Why didn't you force me to keep taking piano lessons when I was young? tsk, tsk... what a pity. Luckily Patrick can read the bottom hand and we can play a lovely piece working together. We are quite the team! Love you
Ahhhhh I love your "six". What a wonderful family and fun traditions. My Mom is a piano teacher so we were musical home too ...hope to carry on the traditon with Sarah since the piano playing skipped a generation....ME. I sadley don't play .....
I would love to be diet buddies/encouraging buddies with you! It really is hard to lose weight!
Heidi is such a sweet dog! She's so loving! We miss her too! I wish we could see YOU guys more often too!!
Okay, the buttermilk made me smile! My mom would buy me my own carton of buttermilk when I was little. I would guzzle that by the glassfuls! YUMMY!
Oh Lura, once again your six smile makers have made me smile too! You have such a lovely family and you all seem to genuinely enjoy your time together. The family is such a precious and holy thing and can be a wonderful blessing in our lives. I cannot imagine drinking buttermilk, but I do love it for cooking and baking. I ADORE your gingerbread quilts!! They are so lovely and I love the gingerbread treats you have given your loved ones this year. I have never heard of gingerbread candy corn. I love candy corn and I am sure I would adore this kind, coz well, Gingerbread is one of my absolutely favouritest of all things! I am also thrilled you all enjoyed my gingerbread recipe! It really makes me day when someone trys my recipes and loves them too! We always make turkey soup after we have a roast turkey too. I guess it is a tradition in our home as well. My mom always made turkey soup and I have carried the tradition on! You just CAN'T have a turkey dinner and then ot have soup afterwards!!! I hope that you have a lovely and blessed sabbath and that you can feel the love I am sending your way! XXOO
What a post!!! That really knocked my socks off, it did.
My German friend adores buttermilk, readily available in Germany, and can't see why I hate it. Thankfully it's not easy to get in our bit of England and is quite expensive. I do sometimes use it to make scones but otherwise, yeuk.
I love your family traditions. Did you start them or were any passed on from your parents or in-laws?
I'm puzzled: in a busy day like you have today, where are you going to find time to cook dinner?
love, Angie, xx
Ya'll have so many cool traditions! I'll come over and hunt for lizards!
Thank you for your sweet comment about Sugar Bear. We do miss her very much. But we are comforted to know she is no longer sick and is very happy now. She is with our Star and Baby Sister.
Dear Lura all your pictures and traditions and fantastic and lovey!!
I beste of the pictures is oof your hubby with the little !! I love it and Erin with the piano!!! huggs Gloria
Loved that post! What great traditions... your kids are SO lucky to have you for a mom. I made the syrup recipe that Erin posted, YUM-MEE! The buttermilk really made a difference, but just smelling it made me gag!
Our traditions include Christmas Eve, getting together and playing games, and eating a soup dinner (usually always potato soup and chili).
I do the turkey soup day after thing too. Yum!
those pics of loni and john are just adorable! i bet he loves that she shares his love of buttermilk too:) so cute! i don't think i've ever drank buttermilk plain before, seems like it would be pretty sour?
your home is just filled with so much fun, good family times, friends and LOVE! you are wonderful people that i feel SO privileged to know! love ya lura:)
I love your traditions. You have some great ideas. We grandmas need to share these ideas. Our grandchildren will be in heaven. I especially love the soap suds in the spa. Next time invite us over for that one. You and John are so fun.
Hi, Lura! I was so tickled to get your friendly note the other day and meet you--thanks for reaching out. I'm just so glad you go your purse back, that the situation wasn't worse! :o) It's so nice to see your happy place here in blogland, and see your lovely--and very talented!--family. I look forward to looking in here often. Happy Days to you & yours! :o)
Your traditions are wonderful! I loved the buttermilk trick your mother pulled on you. And yes, I think the joke was definitely on her, lol. :) I really appreciate your last comment on my blog. I'd love to have the extra prayers, thank you so much. You're a sweetheart!
I just now got a chance to sit down and not worry so much about my own life and have the pleasure of reading your wonderful blog! I enjoyed every second of it! You really do have a beautiful family and it everyone is right, your home does seem to be filled with love! Where's Heidi in all these pics? lol We love you!
How fun to have all the family home. This post got me in the mood for soup. Too bad it's my bed time.
Wanted to check in and see how you were! Happy Wednesday!
Post a Comment