Saturday, October 4, 2008

Sunday Six a little early

Dear Blog friends and family,
Here I am doing my Sunday Six on Saturday evening again. Maybe I will make Saturday Six my tradition since I always have little Austin from Sunday eve until Tues afternoon and he would much rather have me paying attention to him instead of the computer....or maybe I will write it Sat. eve and just publish it Sunday....well, we shall see.....

I must admit that I have had more tears than smiles this week. In truth I had contemplated not doing a Sunday Six at all this week. However, I think in times of sorrow it is even more important that we count our blessing...and goodness knows our family has been blessed in many ways.

Last Monday we learned than Erin and Patrick's birth mother had decided to stay in Ohio and give her baby up for adoption at an agency there. Needless to say we are devastated...Especially Erin. Last Monday I wrote the following in a post.

"It is with heavy hearts that I must tell you that Erin's birth mother has decided to stay in Ohio and give up her baby up for adoption there. We have no idea why. This birth mother was 39 and has teenage children. She assured Erin and Patrick that she would not change her mind and that she knew they were meant to be this baby's parents. We all strongly felt the same confirmation when we prayed about it.....but God gave us all free agency... and this birth mom is using hers in a way that is causing Erin , her family and friends great grief. It feels to us like we have lost a child in our family.It seems to me that she could have made this decision before Erin quit teaching, bought a whole nursery full of baby furniture and supplies and fell in love with this little baby girl. My darling daughter is devastated and my heart is breaking for her."
...
I wrote more and ended by saying goodbye and that I felt too sad to blog for a while.
...
Shortly after publishing that post Erin called. She had been crying for hours but said that she had found new strength and hope. I felt stronger too and we decided that I should delete that post and just keep praying and hoping for our miracle.....so that is what we have done.... We don't believe that the baby has been born and given to someone else yet. We know that this is in God's hands and if it is His will that this little girl is to come to our Erin, He can make it happen..... so ...we are hanging on to that knowledge and hope. I am not sure if we are being faithful or foolish.... but we are praying that, God willing, we can still get this baby. Erin
tells about her feeling on her blog today
...
Both John and Patrick are sad about this turn of events but their main concern has been with their heart broken wives. That leads me into my Sunday Six reasons to smile this week.

#1 I am thankful for John John has remained faithful and positive about all of this...he does not doubt. While I have cried all week, he keeps assuring me that all will be well.....that no matter what happens it will be for the best...that God is in control ...and ...Erin and Patrick will be blessed with children when the time is right. Even though it is hard for me, I am trying to listen to the counsel of my husband and be positive like he is. His faith makes me smile.
...
#2 I am thankful for Patrick Erin could not have a sweeter husband.
Since the day they married Patrick has been a tender, loving and kind husband. He adores Erin as she does him. After they got the sad news on Monday, Patrick took off work and took Erin away to a lovely Bed and Breakfast until they went to the BYU game in Logan last night and then home for general conference today. He got her away from the new nursery they had set up for the baby and all of the baby gifts the kids at school had given her on her last day of work. Of course, they are back home now, but at least they had a few days away. In that time Erin found new strength and courage. Thank goodness that she has her Patrick by her side to support her. He keeps assuring Erin that it will all work out o.k. and in her heart she knows that he is right.
...
#4. You bloggers make me smile I have been touched by the love and concern that has been expressed by so many of you. I have even had some brand new blog friends drop by and add support. Your comments and emails have meant so much to me..... I'm sure more than you realize. You are dear to me and your concern makes me smile. At first I felt so down I didn't think I had the energy to even turn on the computer much less blog....but I missed you.... so then I thought I would just read your blogs and your comments to me but not blog myself.....well....that lasted about half a day. Your posts, good examples and comments lifted my spirits and I appreciate you. So thank you very much.
...
#4 General Conference makes me smile
Twice a year we are blessed to get to hear from the general authorities of our church- The leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints. We used to have to attend church to hear the talks but now we can sit in the comfort of our home and watch it on TV.
I was feeling down.... I hate to admit it but I was even feeling a little bit like God had let us down by not answering our prayers in a more positive way. Last night I prayed that conference would lift my spirits.....and that prayer was certainly answered today.
...
I felt like most of the talks today were meant just for me and Erin.
...
L. Tom Perry started out by telling us not to allow the stress and strains of life get the best of us. He said for us to know that "The best is yet to be"
...
Neil Anderson told us that though we don't know everything we know enough. We may not understand why we must go though difficult or hard times.... but we do know that God lives.... that He is our Father who loves us..... and that is enough. Then he made a comment that really touched my heart. He said "Faith is not only a feeling, it is a decision." He told us to make the decision to be faithful no matter what our circumstance and we will be blessed.
...
Pres. Uchtdorf reminded us that faith overcomes fear. Hope overcomes despair. Hope has the power to fill our lives with happiness. Doubt and despair pollute our souls. Hope is trust in God and leads to good works and charity. He asked us to overcome the temptation to lose hope and faith and never let despair overcome our spirit.
...
Joseph Wirthin told about a time when he was really down and his mother said "Come what may and love it" He explained that the way we react to adversity can determine our ultimate happiness. He said that we should understand the principle of compensation.... that the faithful will be compensated.... that every tear of the faithful will be returned a hundred fold with tears of joy
....
These talks were exactly what Erin and I needed to hear and I am thankful... and I will make the decision to be faithful.
...
#5. Loni makes me smile

This is my oldest grand-daughter Lonica. She is nine going on 19. She is a fabulous dancer and has won many first place trophies in dance competitions.... that makes me smile because I know how hard she practices to get to be as good as she is.

However, what really makes me smile about Loni is her sweet spirit, the love she has for others and her testimony. She loves the Lord and has lots of faith.
...

Lonica has a blog that always puts a smile on my face. Since she lives in another state I can't be near her as much as I like but we can keep in touch by blogging. She would love it if some of you visited her blog and left a comment for her.

On my last post she asked me how she could get some comments on her blog. She says that she leaves comments for others but doesn't get many back. So hop over to Lonica's blog and say hi or have your kids do it. I know that she would love to hear from you and will blog you back.
...
Her 12 year old brother, Johnny, also has a nice blog. You could visit him too.

#6 BYU won again John, David, Dathan, Patick and the rest of their families are always smiling when BYU wins and that in turn makes me smile.... even through my tears last night.


I know that this is a really long post.....but I want you to know that I do have much to smile about. Erin and I are still really hoping and praying that she will get this baby.... but if it is not to be we both will make the decision to be faithful and have hope.

Thanks once again for your support and prayers. May you all have a good week ahead.

Love, Grammy Lura

24 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, your six are always so full of heart and goodness that whether they are a Saturday Six or a Sunday six they always do my heart the world of good. My sweet friend, my prayers and thoughts have been much with you and Erin this week and your lovely family. I know this is a very hard time and a very faith testing time for each of you. Take heart, God has a plan and He is bound to be faithful to those who are faithful to Him. He loves us each so much. For every tear we cry I believe he cries ten more. He has something beautiful and worth all the tears in store for Erin and Patrick. I just know it! It's so hard to be patient and wait faithfully for Him to unfold his plans for us sometimes . . . but wait we must. ((((hugs)))) Sending lots of hugs, love and prayers your way on this special Sunday. I Love you my good friend.

Jan's Blog said...

This breaks my heart for you and your family. Tears flowed as I read your pain. I'm not worried though. Heavenly Father has a plan and I know in my heart that children are coming, along with joy you won't even be able to measure. Until that happens you are in my heart and in my prayers.

hoLLy said...

you are such an awesome person lura! this post was sad but uplifting all at the same time. i admire you for finding the smiles this week even though tears flowed through most of it. what a blessing a good husband is. i've met john and i could see the love he had for you and what a special person he is. and it sounds like erin married an amazing guy too-he sounds like joey. joey takes off work immediately when things go wrong or he knows i just need him-i know i am more important than his job, friends, anything else in the world and that is a wonderful knowledge. we are lucky gals to have such loving and supportive husbands to help us to get through these trials.

i'm so sorry for such a tough week. you and your entire family has been in my prayers and will continue to be!

and i'll stop by loni's blog right after i'm done commenting and leave her a comment:) she is a doll!

The Blonde Duck said...

Lura,

Thanks for stopping by my blog! No, Marie isn't my mom. That must have been a typo, sorry for that. She's a very dear friend of mine though, and I love her to bits. You have a lovely blog. I've read your comments to Marie often and know she adores you. I'm glad to have formally met!

Thanks,

The Blond Duck (Miranda)

Jenn Boerger said...

Grammy - Know that we out in blogland are still praying for Erin and Patrick, and your entire family! I'm sure God will bless them with a child soon. But we will wait upon Him...

Anonymous said...

Oh, Lura. I was so sorry to hear all this. I had no idea. My heart breaks for Erin. And I will keep her in my prayers as well.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

You are amazing. You are truly a gift to your daughter, too. I can't even imagine how she feels.

I know that God has his hand in this, and that it is so hard to see, but I pray that He has something even better in store for them.

TUTU Monkey said...

Lura.......I am so sad to hear about the news of your daughter
(and son in law). I am holding them in my heart and will pray that they become the parents they want to become. Hugs to you!!

I had my own fertility journey and the emotions can be all consuming at times......God has a plan....even though doesn't seem like it sometimes. (((HUGS))))

Laura and Ryan said...

Oh Lura...
I pray God's blessings on your family for staying so faithful and so positive amidst all of this sadness. God does have a plan, and our redeemer lives! I will be praying for this little girl to be delivered to Erin's loving hands. Thank you for the blog award! So fun! I am having computer problems, so I will try to update as soon as possible!

Sheba's Mommy said...

You are a wonderful lady with a wonderful family! It is hard to have faith in times of these hard trials, but I admire you and your family for yours. I am glad to see you still had things that made you smile, despite the hardships. When you went over what the General Authorities said it even gave me hope for my littlest of trials I'm going through. Thank you for this blog, it's lifted me up!

Virginia said...

God cares for you and family so much that His love won't miss a single detail. With God all things are possible
Blessings, Virginia

“When I pray, You answer me…by giving me the STRENTH I need”
Psalm 138:3

cyndi/mom/nana said...

Lura, having been a family who took care of girls giving up their children for adoption I have to admit it was the most heart wrenching experience. You see the sadness at times and then you see the joy when that family that receives the baby actually holds the baby and is a family. I can't speak for anyone else including our Savior but know that when Erin and Patrick have their baby they will be the most prepared and the baby will be the most loved. We will continue in prayer for them that they will truly be blessed. Please send extra hugs to your entire family. The thought comes to mind "I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it". Always in our prayers. love cyndi

Megan said...

i'm looking forward to see how this all works out, and either way, i know good can come of it! what a hard thing, but how wonderful they have a great family surrounding them!

Megan

The Blonde Duck said...

I'll be back! Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Lura, I enjoyed reading your Sunday Six, although I share in your sadness about the uncertainy of Erin and Patrick's baby. I know at times like this, people try to say the "right" thing and many times it comes out wrong so I hope you will accept my words in the way I mean them...My story is a little different but I believe the outcome will be the same. As you know our daughter, Kami, was single for a long time following a sad and heartbreaking divorce. She dated a lot and I mean, A LOT but no one was just right for her. There were several really nice young men along the way, and I would always get my hopes up that this one would be "the one" and yet it never happened. I was heart broken each and every time because I felt like this one or that one would be just perfect for her and when it didn't work out I would cry for days and be so sad and even, at times, feel hopeless. Then BOOM, along came Brent, she met him on the 15th of February, they were engaged by the 9th of March and married June 14th (they would have been married sooner but they had to wait for clearance from the First Presidency). Brent is THE PERFECT ONE for her (and us, I might add). It took them a little longer than we would have liked to find each other but we wouldn't trade him for any of those other boys...NEVER! So my point is...when it's the right time and the right baby (and maybe it is this baby), everything will fall into place and you will never look back. You will understand why things happened the way they did and you will be so happy and thankful. This is my wish for you and for Erin and Patrick.

Marla said...

We have had Erin constantly in our thoughts and prayers too. Still do - still having faith and hoping for the best.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Oh Lura, my prayers will remain faithful for a better outcome to the adoption. I pray that the birth mother comes to her senses and realizes what she is doing. Erin is so blessed to have such a wonderful spouse and such loving parents. Lots of virtual hugs, Linda

Patty said...

Patrick sure sounds like a keeper. Erin is very lucky. I'm sure he is lucky too! I wish them both the best. I loved conference! They are my favorite meetings of the year. We are so blessed to have a living Prophet!!

Erin said...

I love you Mom...

Thank you for all your prayers and support! Today we feel even stronger.

Our prayers are with dad today. Keep us posted.

bows and more said...

Thanks for this post! I am glad that you posted even though you did not feel like it! I am so sorry for the sad news and heart break for you and your daughter and family. I hope she will have a much deserved happy ending soon! my love and prayers are with you and your family!

bows and more said...

I thought of you and Erin and was inspired to share this poem with you both! You are in my heart and prayers!



Wait
by Russell Kelfer


Desperately, helplessly, longingly, I cried;
Quietly, patiently, lovingly, God replied.
I pled and I wept for a clue to my fate . . .
And the Master so gently said, "Wait."


"Wait? you say wait?" my indignant reply.
"Lord, I need answers, I need to know why!
Is your hand shortened? Or have you not heard?
By faith I have asked, and I'm claiming your Word.


"My future and all to which I relate
Hangs in the balance, and you tell me to wait?
I'm needing a 'yes', a go-ahead sign,
Or even a 'no' to which I can resign.


"You promised, dear Lord, that if we believe,
We need but to ask, and we shall receive.
And Lord I've been asking, and this is my cry:
I'm weary of asking! I need a reply."


Then quietly, softly, I learned of my fate,
As my Master replied again, "Wait."
So I slumped in my chair, defeated and taut,
And grumbled to God, "So, I'm waiting for what?"


He seemed then to kneel, and His eyes met with mine . . .
and He tenderly said, "I could give you a sign.
I could shake the heavens and darken the sun.
I could raise the dead and cause mountains to run.


"I could give all you seek and pleased you would be.
You'd have what you want, but you wouldn't know Me.
You'd not know the depth of my love for each saint.
You'd not know the power that I give to the faint.


"You'd not learn to see through clouds of despair;
You'd not learn to trust just by knowing I'm there.
You'd not know the joy of resting in Me
When darkness and silence are all you can see.


"You'd never experience the fullness of love
When the peace of My spirit descends like a dove.
You would know that I give, and I save, for a start,
But you'd not know the depth of the beat of My heart.


"The glow of my comfort late into the night,
The faith that I give when you walk without sight.
The depth that's beyond getting just what you ask
From an infinite God who makes what you have last.


"You'd never know, should your pain quickly flee,
What it means that My grace is sufficient for thee.
Yes, your dearest dreams overnight would come true,
But, oh, the loss, if you missed what I'm doing in you.


"So, be silent, my child, and in time you will see
That the greatest of gifts is to truly know me.
And though oft My answers seem terribly late,
My most precious answer of all is still . . . Wait."

Gloria Baker said...

Dear Lura a few words only to say you Im praying by you and your family, I hope hubby is better I let you a message in Marie Blog. Love ya. Huggsss!! Gloria

bows and more said...

Hey there sorry to hear about your hubby! I hope he is feeling well soon and that they can figure out what is going on! You have enough on your plate right now! OH On the note of the poem, I did not type it! You can find anything on the web or in your computer highlight it with your cursor and right click, click on copy, then go to your blog and right click and click paste and whallah what ever you copied will show up! It is awesome! You can also do it to leave some one a comment like I did for you and erin today

Grandma B said...

My dear friend Lura....please know that Heavenly Father is watching over Erin and Patrick right now...and who knows where the opportunity for them to adopt children may come from. Maybe Heavenly Father knows of some children right now that deserve a kind and loving home and family to love them, yes, I say them, because there may just be more than one.

You are in my thoughts and prayers......Lots of love.....