Sunday, October 19, 2008


It has not been a really great week for me. My tummy was misbehaving for several days and I hate to admit it but I felt quite grumpy. I guess the stress of John in the hospital last week and Erin's grief and disappointment over not getting to adopt their baby got to me. I seem to be calm and collected during times of stress but my tummy acts up afterwards. I spent several days feeling rotten with my stomach telling me who was boss....




On top of that we had terrible Santa Ana winds this week in southern California. they are not hurricanes or tornadoes but they are awful. They are very hot winds that blow for days making messes everywhere. Leaves, limbs from trees and garbage were blown all over. Fires raged around our area. We were not close to the fires but many lost their homes and I felt sad for them.



...


Our patio furniture was blown over. From our front lawn to the back of our property our place was a mess. Our patios and pool were full of dirt , leaves and garbage.... but worst of all for us... hundreds of pieces of fruit was blown off of our trees.

I took pictures of it all to show you.... but I will only post these four. I thought that if I showed you the extent of the mess and told you how rotten I felt while I was trying to clean it up ,you would excuse me from doing my Sunday Six this week.










Then one morning after the first day of winds John brought me a note and this precious magnet that had been left amid the mess at our front door.

It was from my friend, Kris. You can tell from her picture that she is a sweetheart.


Kris and I had talked at church last Sunday. She knew that I was feeling sad for Erin.... and I admitted to her that I felt a little let down that we had prayed with all the faith we could muster but without the results we had hoped for.


In her kindness, Kris did not condemn me, but told me when she has been disappointed that her prayers were not answered the way she hoped they would be, she found it helpful to get on her knees and thank our Heavenly Father that He has everything in His hands. Instead of desperately begging the Lord, she gives her burdens to Him and rejoices that she knows He is in charge. I already knew that....but how nice to have my friend remind me.
...
That leads me to my Sunday Six
...
#1. I am thankful for "glass half full" type of people.
Kris is definitely a positive person. Her kind words, note and magnet lifted my spirits....and it made me stop and think about how negative I was being... I don't want to be a "glass half empty" person. I want to be like Kris. She makes me smile.
...
#2. Having supportive friends makes me smile.
What would I do without my friends? So many of both my real friends and blog friends (actually you blog friends are "real" friends too) have expressed concern and love. Your comments and emails mean a lot to me and certainly make me smile.

#3. Working in the temple makes me smile

This is not a good picture of our Redlands temple but it is a lovely little temple. Both this week and last John and I substituted for some friends and worked in the temple 2 days instead of our usual one. It is wonderful to leave the cares of the world outside as we enter the temple and serve there. This is a great blessing in our lives and we are grateful to have this opportunity. I am thankful and smiling that we have a temple near us and have been called to serve in it.

#4. Finding hidden treasure makes me smile.

While cleaning up the mess in our yard, John found this beautiful flower in a remote corner of our yard. We did not know it was there. He would not have found it if he'd not been cleaning up in that area. He called me over from where I was working, made me close my eyes, and then lead me to this amazing flower. What a treasure! Isn't that a lot like life? In the middle of our messes and trials we can find little treasures that bless our lives.

#5. Through my family and friend's examples I can see the glass half full too.

As I mentioned, the wind blew a lot of our fruit off of our trees. Every variety of tree lost much of its fruit. For example,we counted almost a hundred beautiful avocados blown off. Austin helped Grampy pick them up.

The "glass half empty" part is having so much fruit blow off our trees.

The "glass half full" part is I don't have to wonder what is for dinner this week.... we are having stuffed avocados, avocado sandwiches, avocado salad, avocado burgers and guacamole dip with everything......uhh... Marie and Gloria, can I make avocado soup???

#6 We had a wonderful time with the kids at Knotts

The winds let up....John was feeling better....my tummy was behaving pretty well... so we took EJ, Claire and Austin to Knotts. Our season passes will expire soon so we took advantage of a fun day at Knott's Berry Farm. I think most of these pictures speak for themselves.... and you can see why I was smiling...

Grampy got held up by the train robbers...
Claire got picked to go up on stage during the Charlie Brown show. She was smiling and so was I
EJ and I braved a roller coaster ride. After Claire saw how much fun we had she joined us for the next ride...actually next two rides. Whee...we had fun!
Austin got brave enough to ride on the "scary fast" cars with EJ

How is this for a pirate face? The kids enjoyed going on the Pirate treasure hunt.

We met our friends there and had a great day. Claire met Lauren there several months ago. The two girls became good friends instantly. Lauren's mother Sheri, her grandmother, Holly and her little sister, Jenna have met us at Knotts on several occasions since then and we have a good time with them. Isn't it nice when you can make new friends just while standing in line for a ride. We surely think that is worth smiling about.

All too soon our day was over and it was time to say goodbye. We were all tired but went home with memories to save of our wonderful time together. We all had smiles.

...

Well it turns out that I've had lots to smile about this week as always. I know that I am blessed and I am thankful.

I'm in a rush so I am going to post this without proof reading it. If you find errors please ignore them.

Please let me know about your week. I hope you had lots to smile about too.

Love, Grammy Lura

22 comments:

Jan's Blog said...

You are an inspiration to me. With your recent losses, and let downs, you are embracing positivity beautifully. Isn't it GREAT to know that even in our darkest times, if we will look around, we will find blessings! You found some great ones this week. Hope the week to come is even better!

Kris said...

Lura, it's true that the winds blow debris into our lives but there is always beauty to be found. Maybe the rake should be more revered than it is.

I am so glad that you were able to turn things around to a positive note. You are a wonderful lady.

Thanks for taking time to do your Sunday Six. I have missed you this week.

Keep getting better and have a wonderful trip. Tell Dave and Marla hi for me.

Oh, and thanks acknowledgments.

Sheba's Mommy said...

I agree that you are an inspiration, and so is Kris! You guys bring a lot of light in this world! I'm glad to know both of you!!

bows and more said...

Thank you for posting even when things are not at there best! I just watched Joseph B. Wirthlins talk from conference again tonight, and thought it was so great and inspiring! He quotes his mother and says "come what may and love it!" Maybe you can recall his talk if not you should read it again! I find that there are so many things I miss the first go around! He talks about laughing and the importance of humor durring our trials and also of finding good in every day! I love your picture of your flower it is so beautiful and you would have missed it if it were not for the storm! I think this will be true of Erin's situation. When she is holding her baby the one that was choosen for her she will realize the beauty in the lords plan and for the storm that she has been through! I love that you have such great friends, what a sweet friend to bring you that gift and to remind you what you know! Friends can help us remember the things we know but seem to forget in our trials! You are special! I love reading you blog! I love the spirit I feel when I read your Sunday six! Thank you for being an inspiration to me!Hope you have a wonderful week! Lots of love, Kelsi

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, you always inspire me. I Know it's been a very rough couple of weeks for you all and now with the winds and all the mess to clean up . . . but you are right. There is always something to smile about, some silver lining to every cloud if we will only look deeply enough to find it, or sometimes we just have to be patient and wait on the promises of the Lord. I loved all the pictures of you with your family and enjoying the time together with each other. You are so very blessed. I would give everything I have just to be able to spend one day with my grandchildren. As for what makes me smile? Well, you do my dear! The thought of you warms me yeart everytime your name pops into my head. You're so very special to me. I love you loads! XXOO
PS. I Love that quote from Elder Wirthlin too! Come what may and love it . . . may we always be inspired to do so!

Grandma B said...

My goodness, the winds did a number on your beautiful yard...but YUM, the alvocados...I would have been in hog heaven just eating them with a bit of salt !! They are at a premium here....

Happy you and hubby are feelig better...we are hanging in there..the fall days seems to brighten everything...yesterday Ned took pictures of a beautiful tree in our front yard..am getting ready to post it...we even had people driving by, stop and take pictures of the tree.

Have a happy week......LOL

Lynne said...

Hi Lura,
I'm glad that things are looking up for you following a trying time. You certainly put a positive front on.
I too enjoyed seeing the flower that you would have otherwise missed if it wasn't for the winds. It is as though it was saying 'good things are just around the corner'. I hope that is so for you.
Lynne

The Bright Family said...

We want to come help you eat those avocados!!! :) Your post was a great reminder of finding our blessings--they are EVERYWHERE--even when we are going through things we don't understand. I loved how you found the flower too.

Laura and Ryan said...

Lura,

What a good way to look at life! What an ispiration you and your family are. I know how sometime when so many things do not go right, it is hard to be a "glass half full" kind of person. But what a true testiment to the word! I agree with what your friend from church said. We never know why God gives and takes away, but we do know that he has a divine plan for our lives and his plan is MUCH better than ours could ever be! Keep up the blogging that warms my heart!

And yes, its bad, but all the people in the photo you saw speak english to each other. We are all in German class together, but we speak english when our teacher isn't around!!

Kim said...

It always seems like whenever I feel somewhat down, complaining and even murmuring, that's when I get on my blog and see your Sunday Six. Every week it reminds me to be more like Nephi with his "go and do" attitude and less like Laman and Lemuel with their "sit and stew" attitude. Thanks for once again reminding me to be grateful and not complain and murmur. You truly are a blessing.

Unknown said...

Your blog is a great example of your faith and spirit...and God rewarded your family with the beauty of the unknown plant! I wonder who first planted it and what kind of plant it is. Whatever, it was a wonderful blessing! I so enjoy reading Grammy's News! Thank you for the time you take to creating such a marvelous blog!

Wendi said...

You always lift my spirits when I come by. Sorry to hear you have not been feeling well. I hope you tummy is feeling better and the heart ache you are experiencing will subside.

Oh no...those winds did a number on your property. What a job you had!

What a special friend is Kris. What would we do without our girlfriends?

Love your Sunday Six. What a great idea. I may have to copy, I mean follow you!

Have a great week Lura!!!

Jenn Boerger said...

I needed to hear about the "glass is half full" this week! Thanks for sharing.

joyh82 said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and paying my family such sweet compliments. Sorry that you have not had the best of weather there and what it did to your yard. Your such an inspiration that you keep such a positive outlook on things. God bless!

Sheryl said...

You have had a few incredible weeks. And yet your warm smile and hug on Sunday is such a gift to me. Your family is beautiful. There is just nothing like spending time with the Grandkids. Light in life multiplied!

hoLLy said...

oh lura, i am so sorry for everything that is going wrong in your life right now:( when it rains, it pours sometimes, doesn't it? thank you for being an example to me. i'm glad you found some things to smile about even when you have had so much to cry about. i don't know if i could have posted something so lovely and positive in the midst of these storms. you are an inspiration to so many and touch the lives of more people than you know! i love you lots lura and feel so blessed to have you in my life! i wish i lived closer and could help you with the clean up(and also the "clean up" of those avocados:)

cyndi/mom/nana said...

I sooooo remember those Santa Ana winds~they were HOT HOT!! I too wish we were closer we could have a clean up crew come over and then well of course you would "have :)" to share Share SHARE your beautiful harvest of avocados. I hate paying $1.00 a piece for them out here and they aren't always as tasty. YUM YUM. I'm not sure about avocado soup but there is a recipe I make that uses all vegetables and you dollop the top with sour cream and guacamole. Hmm I'm hungry now. You are an inspiration to all of us. Take care and know you are loved by many in cyber space well at least Texas. love cyndi

Gloria Baker said...

Lovely pictures specially of the kids and you and John, so nice.
Sorry by the trees and pool, I remmeber your poll at summer so beauty!! well dear the seasons have these things sometiemes.
The avocados look wonderful I think!!
Your grandkids are absolutely beautiful and so cute!!!! I love the pirate!!! so brave! Dear how are you are a child of God you wait in Him, I continue pray by Erin, maybe soon God give us a little suprise!! Huggsss!!!! Gloria
Read the Salmo 130!!! Is my favorite, I dedicate to you.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Lura sometmes it is hard to be glass half full person with so much around you going haywire. It was good to see you having so much fun and getting to your Sunday Six. We would have excsed you of course, but good for you that you did it! I so enjoy reading it. Blogger was not letting me post or comment so I am glad I could today!!

TUTU Monkey said...

I agree with all that have mentioned inspiration.......Every time I pop in for a blog visit your stories inspire me. You are a beautiful person!!

Sorry to hear about you not feeling well......that happens to me too. It is after the "storm" that I loose my footing a bit. ((HUGS))

The pirate pictur is so cute!! All are but that little guy is so cute!!

Erin said...

Austin's pirate picture is ADORABLE!! I love it!

I love your Sunday six mom... I need to start doing that! I think I might copy your graphic for that. Soo cute

Love you!

Tara D. said...

I wish I could be more like you, Lura. To be able to look at things the way you can. I have to admit that I usually don't see the glass half full- it always seems half empty to me. Your posts always make me smile.