Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My cup runneth over ...Uppps.. I mean my water heater runneth over

Oh NO!… Not another flood!  Yep…  but it’s not as bad as our last flood which covered every room in our house. This was really  just a big leak, but a messy one.

We went away a couple of days to visit a friend who lives about 80 miles away. While there we got a call from our neighbor that water was running out of our house. Our water heater had busted and hot water was pouring into our house.

IMG_1767

Luckily only our back bedroom had flooded when our neighbor noticed the water running. It is a blessing that he saw it. His house is up the hill from ours and he rarely gets to our side of his house.  If  he had not noticed and turned off the water the whole house would have flooded again. Thank Goodness for good neighbors!

2014-09-02 12.36.16

We got home to to a soppy wet carpet and walls….

2014-09-02 12.35.322014-09-02 13.08.34

….and started clearing out the room.

2014-09-16 20.44.08

What a hard job! It is finally all cleared out and repairs can start.  Walls have to be cut and dried out…. carpet replaced and room repainted. 

Where did all the stuff out of that room  go????

All over the house!  What a mess!

2014-09-02 15.10.47IMG_1737

Our kitchen went from looking like this …. to….

2014-09-02 12.38.012014-09-02 12.38.15

…. this…. I had to spread out all the wet, old precious papers to dry.

Our laundry room..

2014-09-16 22.50.362014-09-02 13.23.26

….before….. and…… after

IMG_05102014-09-17 11.45.26

Our front guest room became a dumping spot….

But our big game/buffet room wins the prize for being the biggest mess….

IMG_3224IMG_1740

It now looks like this….

2014-09-16 20.08.12

2014-09-16 20.07.472014-09-16 20.07.54

What a disaster!

2014-06-13 13.10.482014-09-16 20.09.17

Before……………………. After

I doubt if I will be getting much done at my desk/computer center. I can hardly find it any more.

I HATE MESSES!  Chaos drives me crazy!  Oh my goodness…. how will I ever get this all cleaned up and put back?

Even though I know this is not a matter of  life and death, I feel overwhelmed. Thank goodness it was not the whole house like last time…. but it feels like more than I am up to… especially since I’m not suppose to lift anything over 5 lbs. with these blood clots.

IMG_1921IMG_1925

I am grateful that it happened after my 70th birthday party and not before.  We enjoyed using the big room for my birthday buffet dinner. The flood came just a few days after we took these pictures at my party.

IMG_1767

So… after paying thousands for the  insurance deductible…. tearing out walls and carpet, rebuilding, repainting and putting everything back…. the room will be back to the way it was… no better and no worse. (Except John and I will be the worse for wear!)  Hopefully it will all be back together by the time our kids come for Thanksgiving.  I feel too old for this.

Can I come and live at your house for a month or so???

Hugs, Grammy Lura

10 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

Oh dear Lura, my mother always said that it never rained but what it poured. You are certainly being tried. ((((((hugs))))) I truly hope that you will be able to get the help you need in dealing with this over the coming weeks. You have always been so helpful to others so I am praying that others will be able to step up and help you when you need it as well. I wish I was not so far away or I would be there like a shot helping you to put it all back together! I love you my dear friend. Sending you many hugs and much love today and always. xxoo

Sally said...

Oh what a shame but what a good neighbour you have to turn off the water and minimise the damage. Do it bit by bit and don't over do it. Good luck hope it all goes well.

Sybil said...

What a mess Lura. I am so sorry. I am sure some of your friends from church will rally round and lend a hand..and once things get dried out the repairs can begin...Meanwhile...leave them all to it and a visit to BOX would be wonderful I will get the bed ready !!! much love winging it's way westwards xx

Birgit said...

You have a good neighbour and glad it was just one room. It just shows how much one collects over the years. I shudder to think if that would happen to me. In time you will be back to norm just take your time and don't overdo it. We think we are great because our mind is wonderful but our bodies can tell us otherwise so take it in small steps:)

LeAnn said...

Yes, you can come and live at my house. We would have so much fun. I feel so sad that you had this happen. I do know how you feel. We hadn't been in this home for very long with my Washer which is upstairs flood the hallway part of the bedroom and then downstairs it went into my small family room, the bathroom and part of the hallway. It was a very big mess; and I don't deal well with messes. Next time we have lunch we can share our flooding tales. I do hope it all gets fixed quickly because I know what it feels like to deal with the mess.
Meanwhile before you don't try lifting things; I do hope this clot things goes away soon. You are in my prayers dear friend.
Also, I would say that the tender mercy was that your neighbor found it. Wow, that was so good.
Sending you lots of love and hugs and hoped for blessings.

betty said...

Indeed what a disaster! Glad it wasn't more of the house, but still like you said, enough of a mess and then some! I'm with you; I don't like mess or chaos. Maybe you can enlist the help of some of your grands to get some of the stuff back together after the carpeting, etc., is replaced?

betty

Kris said...

Hi Lura! What a mess you have there! So sorry to hear about this happening. But I suppose it could have been worse too.
Also, happy belated birthday to you!
What a special party!!!!
xo Kris
PS I believe you mentioned that your battery candles don't work on the timer? See if there are actually three spots to move the switch to. Mine has three spots. 1 for on, one for off, and the middle position is where it is placed for timer.
xo Kris

Grammy Staffy said...

Thank you friends for your support

Bonnie Gwyn said...

Aw, Grammy! So sorry to see this. I especially relate to the drying of precious papers ... I have a few water damaged letters and things that will never be the same after such occasions.
It's been a super busy summer, and I was so sad when I realized I hadn't stopped by in a while! So hello! :) I hope things are looking up.

Silvija said...

You know I would be there in a minute if I could! I was so looking forward to that weekend with you when the call came that you had to go home and fix a leak. You always manage to get through all the difficulties with a smile. I have seen you do it over and over again for the 58 years we have known each other. Just take it a few things that you have to do every day and little by little the Big mess Will go away. I will talk to you soon!