We will never forget the terrible events of 9/11 that took place twelve years ago in NYC or last year in Benghazi . I have been watching replays on T.V. for the past few days. My heart is saddened as I think of the lives that were lost and all the pain caused by these events. None of us will ever be the same as we were before the attacks.
My heart is tender today…. I’ve been touched as I’ve seen flags flying. I love the United States of America. I’m sad that some countries hate us and want to destroy us. But, instead of sitting around being sad today, I decided to do something American….
… Bake apple pie…. what is more American than that?
If you read my last post you know that our apples ripened early this year and I canned a lot of them last week. Smelling the applesauce cooking made John hungry for apple pie but after working 2 days canning, I couldn’t look another apple in the face until today.
So we got out the peeler again and got busy.
Apple pie is easy to make. I used 7 apples for each pie. I added 3/4 cup sugar, 2 Tbl. of flour, 2 tsp. of cinnamon, dash of nutmeg and a dash of salt.
I wanted to do a crumb crust so I mixed a cup of flour with 1/2 sugar, 1 tsp. of cinnamon and 3/4 cube of butter until crumbly
My neighbor, Katie, wanted to learn how to make pie so I got to pretend I was back at school teaching cooking again.
I wish all of my students had been as good as Katie at following directions and working hard. She is a fast learner!
We each made one crumb crust and one regular crust pie. We baked them at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.
They look good…..And they taste better!
I ask earlier what was more American than apple pie????
The answer is--- Apple pie and ice cream.
And my friends… that was my patriotic contribution on this day of 9/11 remembering. It might not seem like much of a way to be patriotic but it left a sweet taste in my mouth.
Hugs, Lura







3 comments:
Oh how I wish we were closer. I would have loved making pies with you. Regretfully, I haven't made very many pies. I do like a good piece of Apple pie and Ice cream. I too felt sad about 9/11. I loved the flags that were put up in our neighborhood. I think we will all remember exactly what we were doing on that day.
I need to try and do something with some our apples. If it is an easy thing to do send me the direction for your canning. I haven't done it for years but this year we do have a lot of apples ready to harvest.
Blessings, love and hugs!
I think the whole world changed on that day Lura. They don't just hate Americans. They hate Westerners full stop. None of us are safe from that hatred. I am grateful for a God that teaches us to be good and to love our brothers and sisters and help them in any way we can.
Now apple pie. My mom made the best apple pies. Todd thinks his mom made the best apple pies. I am sure you make fab apple pies too. If they are even half as good as they look, they will be delicious I know! Love you much. I haven't been able to play the word games with my computer for a while now. I miss our games sweet friend. I miss our calls too. xxoo
Hello nice bloog
Post a Comment