I enjoy every holiday.
They give me good excuses to decorate my holiday tree.Some people think that having a Christmas tree once a year is enough...
but not me...
...no...no...no
I decorate this little tree for every holiday and season...
... and that makes me smile.
Holidays also give me excuses to set pretty tables with a theme.I just love setting pretty tables.
It is such fun for me to make each place setting special.My mom made very little money when I was growing up,
but she always tried to set a nice table with what she had.
She said even hot dogs taste great when served at a pretty table.
I feel thankful that I have been able to collect quite a variety
of pretty dishes and linens.
My mom could not afford fine china or
crystal except for pieces she found at garage sales.
Each time I set a pretty table I think of her and smile.
I think that she looks down and smiles with me too.
I even smile more when I can have friends and family join me for meals.Mindy and family will be joining me later today for our St. Patrick's
traditional corned beef dinner.
We could not get together on the 17th but today will do.
However, I did have a lovely St. Patrick's theme luncheon with my dear friends
Kris and Jan.
I made Irish stew which I served in homemade bread bowls.
...
(Actually it was just regular stew but I called it Irish in honor of the holiday.)
I wanted to dye the orange freezes green with food coloring but I controlled myself.
After having our stew we went into the dinning room for our dessert and herbal tea party.
Kris and Jan are the queens of tea parties......as you know if you have looked at my past blogs.
I was happy that I could take a turn.
Being together as friends and having a tea party made us all smile.
...
However, today we were not smiling as much.
She did not want to go to the hospital.
With all of her health problems she was afraid they would keep her there if she went.
However, the paramedics convinced her that she should go be checked out.
In spite of it all Jan had a smile for her blog friends.
I stayed with Jan and Kris a few hours until Kris's husband,Craig, arrived.
They would only allow 2 people in with Jan so I came home.
(Jan will tell you more about it on her blog when she is up to it.)
Being together as friends and having a tea party made us all smile....
However, today we were not smiling as much.
It was a bit scary for us.
Jan passed out several times during church this morning.
She did not want to go to the hospital.With all of her health problems she was afraid they would keep her there if she went.
However, the paramedics convinced her that she should go be checked out.
In spite of it all Jan had a smile for her blog friends.
I stayed with Jan and Kris a few hours until Kris's husband,Craig, arrived.They would only allow 2 people in with Jan so I came home.
(Jan will tell you more about it on her blog when she is up to it.)
...
Kris just called to tell me that Jan is back home now.
Kris just called to tell me that Jan is back home now.
She passed all of the hospital tests.
They wanted to keep her overnight but she wanted to go back to Kris's.
She will be well cared for there.
Seeing the love, concern and care Kris and Craig
give Jan makes me smile.
(Read Jan's last post and you will see what I mean.)
In the midst of losing her job and her home and packing up
to leave Oak Cottage, her beloved dog Jess died.
However, in spite of the tears and worry, Marie
to leave Oak Cottage, her beloved dog Jess died.
However, in spite of the tears and worry, Marie
found reasons to smile.
She is an inspiration and example for me.
(Read her post and you will understand why I say that.)
(Read her post and you will understand why I say that.)
Having Marie for a friend makes me smile.
...
Claire and E.J. also made me smile this week.
Claire and E.J. also made me smile this week.
I will tell you about that next time.
Until then, I hope that you have a good week....
...full of hope.... and love.... and smiles.
Hugs, Lura








10 comments:
Oh Lura, how frightening that must have been for you and for Jan!! I am glad that they let her go back to Kris's and that she is ok. How very scary though. It looks like you all had a wonderful time together. Oh how I would love to have a tea party with you at your house. I try to make my table special every night, but I don't have a lot of dishes to play with. I wish I did. Right now we only have two plates, two bowls, two cups, etc. (Todd's idea. Only a man would insist on packing everything up over a week before you are moving!) Anyways, I am making do! My visiting teachers are coming for the last time today. I know I will enjoy their visit. I always do. I love you my sweet friend. You ALWAYS make me smile. I can't wait to talk to you tomorrow! xxoo
I'm glad your friend got checked out. Don't know if paramedics over there are like over here,but if you insist you're not going to hospital you have to sign a disclaimer! Mum always did anyway when she sent for them to pick dad up whenever he fell out of bed - a regular occurrence.
I'm always up for a tea party and doesn't it make even the simplest fare special if you make a pretty table?
Ohhhh I hope your friend is okay.
We are "tea Party" gals around here......2 times a day with crowns...:)
Darling Lura:
I'm thinking back to the lovely luncheon you provided Kris and I in your beautiful home. Fact is, your home could be a shack and it would be made lovely by your presence alone. You and Kris both have that quality, as does Kris's precious daughter Shannon. Thank you for such delightful hospitality.
Thank you so much for staying with Kris and I at the hospital. Kris tells me that I was in the foyer of the church leaning on Craig and with my eyes closed, and then you spoke to me, and recognizing your voice, I opened my eyes, found you, and reached out to you with my hand. I think that says SO VERY MUCH about my affection and trust for you, my dear, dear friend.
I'm better today. I'm anxious to put this whole incident behind me. I feel healthy and loved!
Jan
I love how festive you are, everything is always so neat and pretty! :) And I sure hope Jan is feeling much better, send my well wishes her way. And I feel for Marie as well, I hope everything works out. They're both in my prayers.
You really do set the most lovely tables. I've noticed that quite a few times while reading your blog.
i'm glad your friend jan is alright! that is scary:( and i just love the idea of a holiday tree. why take down the Christmas tree if you have decor for the whole year-thats awesome! you are such a fun lady(like claire said on her blog-she is so cute:) i think the word she used was "playful"? :) love you lura!
I'm glad Jan is better and that she had good company while in the hospital. How scary.
I love your holiday tree..you always do everything up so fun and well!
And, your desserts and tea party looks delicious.
How fun, the Irish dinner! I hope Jan is feeling better. I do feel bad for Marie. How sad!
Hi Lura,
YOur St Paddy decor made me smile even though I am not Irish. We still enjoy corned beef and cabbage in honor of all those who are!
I hope Jan is OK! How scary. It is hard to see our friends hurting.
I feel so for Marie. She certainly has had her share, hasn't she? I hope this new season in life she is facing will be brighter than she can ever imagine!!
Thanks for stopping by and making me smile with your sweet comments!
Post a Comment