Sunday, March 14, 2010

More Sunday Smiles with Austin

Last Sunday we had a birthday dinner and family party for Austin.
I told you about that in last week's post.
However the celebrating was not over.
No...No...No...
We ended up celebrating Austin's 5th birthday for 3 days.
That brought many smiles to my face and heart.
I want to share them with you.
...
Sunday night when I tucked Austin into bed we talked about his little birthday party.
I made a comment about what a big boy he is now that he is 5.
He corrected me.
"Grammy, actually I am still 4. My teacher said that my real birthday is number 9...
...and today is not number 9."
No Austin but it was still a nice party.
Monday the two of us spent the day at one of Austin's favorite places...
Knott's Berry Farm.

(Isn't that just the sweetest face ever!!! ... uhh... his....not mine.)

He loves riding the trains...

...the race cars...

.... and the trucks.
A couple of times I told people we were celebrating his 5th birthday.
He quietly whispered to me....
" Grammy I am really 4"

After Knott's we stopped to get
a kid's meal of chicken nuggets and fries.
Not very healthy but his favorite cuisine.
(...but notice I got him milk to drink and not a soda...)
...
My "almost" 5 year old was exhausted after our busy day.

After driving home I gave him a bubble bath and tucked him into bed early.
I thought he would fall right to sleep after such a long day of walking....

...but I was wrong.
7:30 turned into 8:00 and then into 9:00 p.m.

This sweet little boy was so excited that he would
"actually be 5" the next day, he could not sleep.

He kept saying...
"Tuesday is number 9.

I just can't believe that I will actually be 5"
His excited anticipation of being 5 years old was absolutely delightful.

I lay there beside him until he fell asleep that night
and thanked my Heavenly Father that I could be a part of this special time with this little grandson.

The next morning he came running into our bedroom and
excitedly announced to Grampy and me..
"I am 5 years old today!!!"
"I can't believe it!!!"
...
Of course we had to have a Birthday Breakfast.


He blew out his 5 candles....

...and ate 2 sausages, 2 eggs and chocolate chip pancakes.
(Is this boy 5 or 15?)

After our birthday breakfast, Austin and I packed up and headed to preschool.

I got to spend the day there with him which was special for both of us.
He got to be the line leader all day.
His little buddies were excited for him too.
Here Austin and his friend shows us that he is 5 while another buddy gives him a hug.

In class his teacher gave him a birthday crown ..
...and ...


(This picture cracks me up...notice the boy who is heels over head with excitement.)
...everyone sang Happy Birthday to him.
Austin is shy and does not like being the center of attention.
I was not sure about how he would handle this
...
...but he loved it.
We then passed out the cupcakes, that Austin had helped me make, to everyone.
It was a fun day at preschool for both of us.
...
After preschool Austin could hardly wait to go home and see his family.
He was anxious for his family to see him now that he was 5.
Claire and E.J. were waiting in the yard to greet him when we drove up.
They were as delighted that he was "actually 5" as he was.
...
I get to talk to, skype and see pictures of my out of state grandchildren
on their special days.
That makes me smile.
I am glad that I can do that.
However, I am especially thankful that I could spend these 3 birthday days
with little Austin this past week.
These memories will stay with me and warm my heart forever.
I know that he will probably not remember this as the years pass...
...but maybe...
someday he will find this blog and
it will kindle a little spark of loving warmth for him too.
At least I hope so.
...
I had other nice things that made me smile last week but this blog is too long to post them.
I will save them to share with you next time.
Have a great week.
Let me know about your smiles.
Hugs, Grammy Lura

11 comments:

Erin said...

Austin is such a little sweetie! It is so fun to see him blossom and come out of his little shell. I can't believe he is 5 years old! Time just goes too fast!

How fun that you could spend so much celebration time with him. I know he will remember it always, mom! Don't you worry about that! You are making forever memories!

Love you!

Canarella said...

looks like the birthday that never ends....love the top picture of the family....I love family times...god bless

Canarella said...

looks like the birthday that never ends....love the top picture of the family....I love family times...god bless

Marie Rayner said...

And the best thing about Austin's three day Birthday Celebrations is that they are making me smile all the way over here in the UK, a whole week later!!! I loved this Lura! How fun that you got to celebrate this momentous occasion with Austin in such a special way and how very generous that you took us along with you!! All your grandchildren will have such fun and loving memories of you and John. How very lucky they are! How very lucky "I" am to count you as my special friend! I love you to bits!! Can't wait to talk to you tomorrow. It is always the highlight of my week!! xxoo

StitchinByTheLake said...

What a perfectly wonderful time for both you and Austin. He will have such endearing memories. blessings, marlene

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Ahh...that Austin is such a sweetie. So glad he had such the celebration.

Tara D. said...

Austin is just too precious! I'm glad he's actually five now; I loved how he kept correcting you on his "real" age. Happy belated b-day little guy!!!

Angie said...

Austin - the handsome 5 year old - has a very pretty Grammy too! Well, it has to be said.........!

love, Angie, xx

Anonymous said...

5!! What a day for you and Austin! Nothing could be more special than spending birthdays with grammy!

hoLLy said...

hey, i think your face is pretty sweet too lura:) looks like austin got 3 days of perfection! lucky little boy! and i love that he had such a hearty appetite, 5 going on 15 for sure:)

hope you are having a great week my dear friend! all is well over here. 19 days till the sono(no, i'm not counting:) i'm thinking its another girl, i just am. we'll see:)

The Mom said...

Lura you always look so good!!!!!
Fran