Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Sad News for Us

1a grammy smiles

I usually have smiles in the title of my posts….. because I always have a lot to smile about….

sad face

…but today I feel like calling my post “Grammy’s tears” instead of Grammy’s Smiles”

2014-05-10 14.33.06Poster2

Those of you who follow my blog know that our grandson, Johnny, is on the USA National Men’s Gymnastic team. At Nationals in May he came in 2nd in his age group on P-bars and 9th in the nation overall.

IMG_32771079493_10151616549554296_650657126_n

Doing so well at Nationals qualified him to move on to the P&G Championships this August to compete to be on the National team again.  He has loved being on the National team and representing our country at international competitions.  He looked forward with great anticipation to being on the team for the 3rd year.

However that is a dream that is not to be accomplished.

IMG_3279

His shoulder has been hurting since before Nationals. The Olympic doctors iced it,  sent him to therapy and did all of the usual things to help it feel better….. but it just kept getting worse.

983610_572192052824854_2022556103_n

While he was training at the Olympic center in Colorado last week, the doctors looked at a new MRI and found that not only is there a tear in his rotator cuff muscle, but also the labrum (cartilage in the shoulder).  Both injuries require surgery which will put him out of action for 3 months or so.  Johnny wants to be on the National team so badly that he was willing to go ahead and compete at P&G with pain meds and a cortisone shot. The Olympic doctors considered it but ended up saying for his own health and future  he should not compete this year.    We all agree with them but it makes us so sad.

302321_441533502557377_883209834_n

You can’t even begin to imagine all the work and effort Johnny has put into this goal. This injury right before qualifications is devastating.

  However, he got a very nice letter from the Olympic committee telling him that they know this is a “hard blow” but “it is only a bump in the road”. They said that they consider Johnny to be “the whole package” and look forward to him representing our country internationally again when he is healed. That made Johnny and all of us feel better but we are still sad about him being out this year. But….

IMG_3280

…if he wasn’t disqualified because of his torn rotator cuff and labrum… he would be out now because of his foot. He was working on the pommel horse last night (the doctor said it was OK for him to keep training….just not to do things that hurt his shoulder)  He turned his ankle on the landing and tore 2 ligaments and has a possible fracture in his ankle.

IMG_3282

I went to the doctor with him. The doctor said the good news is that by the time he has recovered from the shoulder surgery, his ankle will be healed…. In the doctor’s words….”This will just be a bad memory”.

IMG_2537

So…. Johnny will not be on the National Team this year. Tears have been shed…. but there are also smiles. I am glad that the Olympic doctors are seeing that he gets the best of care. I am glad that he is expected to fully recover.  I am glad that this sweet boy has faith and such a good attitude in spite of the disappointment.

There is much to be thankful about…. so I’ve got to dry these tears and start smiling…. and I will.

Hugs, Grammy Lura

15 comments:

Buttercup said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, but it's so important to take good care now. I'm paying the price now for a lack of awareness after surgery when I was in college. I've got a shoulder issue, happily not a tear, and I'm back in physical therapy later this month. Johnny and I will be p.t. buddies. Prayers and wishes for a complete recovery.

Unknown said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. I know he must've worked so hard for this. Sorry, Johnny. Sad that he will not be competing this time around. :-(

betty said...

Oh that is sad news, Lura, so sorry to hear that. Its hard to have come so far and trained so hard and then to have an injury like this that makes him not able to participate. I have to agree with the doctor not to take the chance and participate, not knowing about his future health.
Sometimes what we think is a disappointment is actually another door God may be opening :)

betty

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, I am so sad to read of Johnny's injuries and I know how very disappointing this must be for him, and for all of you. Keeping him in my prayers for a complete recovery. He is such a talented young man, I agree with the Docs that this is just a bump in the road. He will heal and he will ultimately go on to represent his country. I feel this in my heart. I agree with Betty. Love to you all. xxoo

Sybil said...

My heart nearly stopped when I read about the news n facebook..and now having read all abou it like you I am very very sad. However on the bright side at least it is treatable and once he is over the op etc he will be able to graually get back to full fitness again and will still have time to train for the Olympics...and we will see him yet !
God Bless and give hin all our love xx

Sally said...

What a shame but he must be patient and heal properly so that he can continue to compete when he is fully recovered. My best wishes to him.

Birgit said...

This is always such a hard blow when so much time, energy and effort was put towards his goal. It's funny that he also hurt his foot like God is telling him to slow down for now. I think of the greats in sports and how many were out of the Olympics or world's to only come back the following time, compete and win the gold. Maybe rest is exactly what is needed so he gains even more strength, not only physically but in patience. From what little I have read on your blog, it appears to me that your family has fortitude so he will reach his goal

Kris said...

Oh Lura, I am so sorry to hear this! What a devastating blow, for sure. But he will heal, and he is young. He will be on the road to National competitions before he knows it.
SO sorry!!!
xo Kris

LeAnn said...

My dear friend, I read this from Face book but wanted to read it again. I feel so bad for your grandson; but remember we did discuss that the Lord has a plan for him. I just feel so sad that he hurt his ankle too. That is a double whammy.
Blessings, prayers and hugs for you all!
I always try to keep in mind as I know you do to; after the trials come the blessings!

StitchinByTheLake said...

So sorry to read this Lura, but at least competition is still in his future. However, at his age it's particularly difficult to have patience. :) blessings, marlene

bettyj said...

it's okay to cry when our grands are disappointed. That is what grandparents do. Because when they hurt, Heaven knows we hurt. He is such a good looking young man and I bet we see him on the Olympic Podium one day listening to our National Anthem. Then I will cry too!

Joy/The Olde Farmhouse said...

Dearest Lura: I have missed you in blogland and now I see why. I am so sorry about your marvelous grandson, Johnny but,with faith and all the good care, he will return. But it does not remove the disappointment. Give him a hug. I haven't posted too much since I moved; it was harder than I thought (could be it has been 16 years since the last move and now I am 16 years older? LOL) My family has been wonderful helping me and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, finally! Hope everything else is going well for you and the rest of your family. I will look for you to come back. I don't know if my new e-mail address has been changed on the blog but in case not: 651-483-6810 in MN. {{HUGS}} Joy

Sybil said...

Hi Lura...just hoping that all is well with you. It is a wee while since we had any of your lovely "blog news"....God Bless xxxx

Helen Baggott said...

That's really tough for the lad and his family. Hope he continues to heal well and follows his dream.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

How disappointing, but I have to agree with Betty. God sees the whole picture and has a perfect plan.