Sunday, February 13, 2011

Sunday Smiles from Las Vegas



I have many smiles to tell you about.
I still want to tell you about our fun trip to San Diego
and our tea party
and visit with family....
I am way behind....
but those smile stories will have to wait a bit longer
because today I want to tell you about
our smiles from Las Vegas.

...
I am listing more than 6 smiles this week, but I can't help it.
I just had too much to smile about to limit it.

Last week John and I drove 250 miles to Las Vegas, Nevada.
We didn't go there to gamble.
We went to join our daughter Lynell, our granddaughter, Loni
in supporting and cheering on our grandson, Johnny

at the Black Jack National gymnastic championship.
Johnny did his personal best on every apparatus...
smile smile
despite the injuries.
.It was a huge meet with 140 level 9 boys competing in Johnny's age group.
.
Johnny wasn't the only one that was head over heels.... or
heels over head

We were so happy and excited as we watched
each event
I think my heart was pounding as hard as Johnny's...
...especially on the pommel horse which is his hardest event.
He did great.

Smile Smile
Johnny did not come in 1st place in any of the 6 events....
But he came in 4th overall which is one place higher
than he achieved in his last meet at the Olympic training center in Colorado
...and...

...he did medal in each event which is quite remarkable considering
how many he was competing against.
One day we think we will see this hard working boy in the Olympics.

The meet went on for 3 days.
While Johnny stayed at the gym supporting his team mates
competing in other divisions, Grampy, Lynell, Loni and I
went out on the town
.
Loni's favorite place was the M & M store.
4 stories filled with M & M products of every kind was quite amazing.
Actually Las Vegas is quite amazing.
I doubt if there is any place like it in the world.
I have no idea how so many mega hotels with 1000's of rooms each
can stay in business.

I guess people come from all over the world to fill those rooms
and gamble in the hotel casinos....but...

We came from California and Utah to support
one 14 year old boy in his quest of an Olympic dream.

Way to go Johnny.
I know that you are where you are because
of hard work and sacrifice on your part
and on the part of your family.
Grampy and I are proud of you and them.
You make me smile.

...
I am also smiling that Marie got to go to Angie's funeral
and say goodbye to our sweet blog friend from all of us
.
...
I will not be able to blog next week but I will be thinking of you....
and when I come back next Sunday I will have
wonderful smiles to share with you.
Until then, I hope you have a great week
that is full of smiles
.

9 comments:

Sybil said...

Thank you for sharing all that fun with us. It is brilliant to have such a talented and nice young grandson. we will all be looking out for him in the future olympics..pity it was not next year in London...what excitement WE could all have had then !!Much Love Sybil xx

hoLLy said...

congratulations johnny! that is amazing!! how fun to get to go and cheer on your grandson and be with your daughters fam! i'm sure we'll see his name at the olympics!

and i agree, vegas is something! and that m&m store is super cool, love it! my best friend took me there when i went out to st. george last year(i flew in and out of vegas so we got to have a little non-gambling fun there and enjoy on of those crazy buffets:).

and of course i got my girls some m&m goodies:)

StitchinByTheLake said...

Lura that is an amazing accomplishment and a real testament to Johnny's work ethic and his talent. It also speaks highly of his parents' dedication to seeing that their children know the meaning of earning what they want through their labor. I know Johnny will go far. blessings, marlene

Jan's Blog said...

Congratulations to Johnny on an outstanding bunch of performances. I think we will all see Johnny at some upcoming Olympics for sure. I'm glad you had a lovely week Lura. I miss you. See you soon!!! Tons of hugs.

Tara D. said...

Whoo hoo for Johnny! How cool is that, to medal in all the events. I can't wait to see him in the Olympics (have my fingers crossed) someday. :) You must all be so very proud!

Kris said...

Oops. I read your blog soon after you posted it but didn't take time to write. Sorry dear.
Love all your photos and glad you can be with your darlings.
I miss you.
Come back.
Johnny is amazing, by the way.

Lynell said...

Fun post Mom. It was so fun to be there with you and Dad. What a fabulous weekend. We always have so much fun when we are together. Looking forward to the next time. Hope you are having fun. Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Yay for 4th overall! That's great.

Such amazing talent in your family! You all are very blessed.

Marie Rayner said...

Lura, I don't know how I missed this post! Somehow it slipped under my radar!! I just KNOW Johnnie will be representing his country and your lovely family in the Olympics one day! As Sybil said, it's too bad it wasn't in LONDON next year! Then you would have so many people to visit though you wouldn't have time to watch him compete! You have such an amazing family Lura. The Lord has blessed you in so very many ways. I just love you all so very much! I hope you know that! xxoo